19' Seaway CC

seahaven

Commander
Boat Make
1984 Sisu 22
Sorry- Better, more specific questions

It was late when I posted that message, I should have been more specific with my questions- "What do you think about this boat" is a pretty lame thing to ask.
I know that the ride advantages of a downeast hull design are considerably lessened the smaller the vessel. How do these 19' Seaways handle? I'm looking for something for Narragansett Bay that is economical and handles the slop and snot that the Bay dishes out every afternoon. I want a boat that I can run in that kind of a choppy sea at a reasonable speed without pounding my teeth out or feeling like I am a cork in a bathtub.
I also wanted to know what people thought of the amount of freeboard on these boats- I want a boat where the gunnel is high enough on your legs that you don't feel that you are going to pitch over the side when you lean over it.
Finally, I'm looking for a ballpark idea of what a 19' CC Seaway in decent used condition is.

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
Define reasonable speed.. I have a similar shaped boat (1982 19' Midland) and it was built on and for use on Narraganset bay and there are still people up there using them. I had mine out on a couple choppy days in LI Sound last year and 20 knots was as fast as I cared to go.

As for cruising mid-20's with a 50hp, with one guy in the boat , light fuel load and nothing else it might be doable. Most guys with that boat usually talk about cruising in the mid 20's with a 70hp. I have a 60hp and it cruises around 20 knots . My boat is probably heavier than the Seaway (I have a dog house and a 27g fuel tank)

I'm not a good horse trader on boats , I'll let someone else help you with value.

Last edited:

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
It says cruises in the 20s...if it does cruise in the 20s I would say that's barebones quarter fuel and a real thin guy driving it...! I would take that with a grain on salt.

I'd say for the price point it's a good starter boat, might be a little wet in the bay. No outboard mech by any means but I think those fifty Johnsons have a good rep not to mention a good power to weight ratio.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I think that is a decent price for a package deal. I owned the same type of Johnson (2004/50 hp) on my Eastporter. It was a good motor until the trim pump died- (not related) it got some bad gas and took awhile to work it out of the system. Two stroke motor is louder than current four stroke. Check out transom and stringers on older boats- they rot over time if not properly cared for.

seahaven

Commander
Boat Make
1984 Sisu 22
12-15 knots in slop is fine for me, I'm not in any hurry. It does sound like 50hp will be a bit underpowered.

Thanks for all the responses.

Michael

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Not much downside on a price point like that, if your looking for a boat to beat on it this is a good choice for a little boat.

jojobee

Commander
I ran a repco 21' with a 50 hp tiller. 12-14 knots WOT. Not everyones cup of tea but it worked for me. I like a clean open boat in the under 20' class. I would strip that boat down, throw out the console and put on a 30hp pull start tiller motor!

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Im a tiller guy like you jojo I really think its the best way for anybody to start....! But I'd keep that 50 and either have it converted to a tiller (sure there is a kit somewhere) OR trade it for a tiller!!!

Seawayva

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tripp Angler 22' Flush Deck Cuddy
I used to have a 19' Seaway that I ran with a 60hp Mercury Bigfoot. It would run about 25 or 26 knots WOT and cruise pretty easily at about 20 knots, as I recall. I rebuilt mine with new decks (3/4 plywood and glass) as well as a 20 gallon fuel tank under the leaning post. It also had two batteries. I never felt under powered even though the boat was certainly not light.

The boat will pound in a chop and will roll on the hook. It was a great boat. Bare bones and handled well once you got used to the round chines and learned how to trim the bow down to keep the pounding to a minimum. You could also turn hard enough to bury the inside gunwhale if you weren't careful. I really liked the boat a lot.

Make sure you take a good look at the deck and the cored transom.

rich

Lieutenant
Seaway 19 ft Engine question

I have a 1982 19ft center console Seaway that was built in Winthrop Maine.. Boat was purchased new with a 70 HP Mariner that was really a 60 HP.

Underpowered in my opinion with the 60/ 70 HP

Currently running the boat with an old two cycle 90 HP.

Runs about 18 to 20 MPH (according to GPS) at about 3700 RPM.

That is with three people and fishing gear.

The 90HP seems about right for the boat.

The only issue now is the weight of the new motors. The same 90HP now weights about 100 lbs more.

IF my memory is correct the boat was originally rated for up to a 125 HP

Cant find my old brochure on the boat

Top Bottom