1954 Maine lobstering video

Viexile

Lieutenant Commander
That is great footage. If it's an Eaton, Weed or Hardy, it must be Deer Isle . . . ooops! He said that as I was typing. Looks to me like he went out of Stonington, probably over by Billings inside of Crotch Island. Long drive to Saddleback, Spirit Ledge. 18 years old, I guess he got a distant territory. 10 miles out from Stonington, alongside Isle Au Haut. For the life of me I can't figure out where he offloaded and fueled up. "Tin Island"? "Pin Island"? Got a call from Deer Isle last week - 2000 miles away. Selling my land down there.

Last edited:

EarlDuke02

Lieutenant
Boat Make
31 BHM
Gene Eaton kept his boat in Billings Cove, Sunshine, Deer Isle. He sold his lobsters to my great-grandfather at Hen Island on the east side of Sunshine.
I expect his boat was an Arno Day.

pembroke

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Russ
Last edited:

Aotea

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Ian
Love this video. Love the beautiful low sheer boats. I'm sure our fellow member Henfruit can tell us all about Deer Isle!

Viexile

Lieutenant Commander
Gene Eaton kept his boat in Billings Cove, Sunshine, Deer Isle. He sold his lobsters to my great-grandfather at Hen Island on the east side of Sunshine.
I expect his boat was an Arno Day.
It was tough to figure out where he was coming out of. Billings yard area was a guess. I never knew that was called Billings Cove (different location) for some reason. My hearing kept telling "Pin" Island or something like that for dropoff, and I couldn't find remnants of any docks on Google Earth. That's absolutely great. I know right where it is. I wonder why the dropoff wasn't Stonington? This is an Arno Day rebuilt from the Fishermen's Voice 2016: August 2016 Fishermen's Voice
1609333335934.png

Last edited:

1rider

Lieutenant Commander
Love the sheer on that boat and the whole video was great!

i don’t know about anyone here, but I am sure I would of kicked my lunch into the water if I was in the habit of putting it on the rail like he did.

EarlDuke02

Lieutenant
Boat Make
31 BHM
We stopped buying lobsters on Hen Island in the mid-1980's after we had the cove dredged. The wharf gradually washed away and we removed the fuel tanks from the island.
That's Hen Island in my avatar photo.

pembroke

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Russ

Viexile

Lieutenant Commander
There's a few bells on the bay, or there was last I looked awhile back, but the USCG Maintenance people have undoubtedly updated everything regularly. Didn't . . . some . . . idiot . . . seems as though I remember something about a numbnuts and a bell a few years ago. Got stuck on it somehow? I thought that thing looked quite antiquated. What a great video, though.

richard c welk iv

Lieutenant
I'll tell you what as soon as he climbed out of that skiff into the boat and didn't bounce off the deck a few times he had my deepest admiration . The last time I tried that the folks on the shore had themselves a good laugh . And to make matters worse my nine year old grandson came along and did it a few times without a problem just to make his poppy look bad !! Oh how I hate that kid !!!!!

dasabalon

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Don
Boat Make
38 Wesmac under construction
That was a great video. Thank you

ErikT

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Erik