1964 24' "Seaford Channel Raider" Downeast / Jersey Skiff

webs12

Ensign
I was looking for some information regarding a boat my family has owned since 2003. The boat was originally sold in 1964 as a "Seaford Channel Raider" from William Marina Corp. in Seaford, NY to a gentleman in Cincinnati. From what I understand, the gentleman used it for 7 hours on the Ohio river before passing away. It then sat under cover in storage until 2003 when my dad purchased the boat. He ran it briefly before putting it away for the winter that year with the intention to use in the next spring. Well things came up and we only fired it up once since (very carefully, two years ago). As it sits now, in storage under cover, it has ~10 hours (all freash water) on the 134 hp Palmer engine. We have some time this spring to get it out again but in the meantime I was looking for information on the boat.

Here is what I found so far: A search of Seaford boats yielded a builder by the name Paul Ketcham who built smaller sail boats but nothing of this style. I then heard that the name I was looking for is actually called a Verity Skiff. The Verity Skiff has identical looks, but my understanding is Sam Verity and Sons only built them from the 1920s until the 1950s. That is where I am now. I heard that Groverbuild Boats carried on the Verity model but I am unsure.

I added some pictures I took this weekend.

wIQuGbFl.jpg

7vmECykl.jpg

af2VXjBl.jpg

byz7IOVl.jpg

SeafordChannelRaiderFlyerSmall.jpg

Skiff2003Small.jpg

Last edited:

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
I'm not an expert on the matter, but it does not look like a Verity Skiff. The lap-strake hull makes it look similar, but the lines of the bow rise and trunk cabin are very different.

There are two original Verity Skiffs in Baldwin Bay, I'll try to snap a picture the next time I pass them.

Captain Larry can go into more detail about the Groverbuilts than anybody, but I do know that the Verity Skiff was used as the plug for the Groverbuilt boats. There's a very lengthy thread about Groverbuilts over on NorEast.

Very interesting boat you have there, like a time capsule in that condition!

Last edited:

webs12

Ensign
blackdiamond,

Thanks for the response and the link to the thread. I'll check it out and see if something comes up. You were not joking, it's lengthy!

The reason I thought it was a Verity is because of this thread on woodenboat.com: FREE- 21' VERITY skiff

I thought it had some similarities, but like you said, some noticeable differences as well. I just figured the differences had to do with it being a 21' verse a 24'.

capnrob

Lieutenant
Boat Make
webbers cove 34 1968
What a jem. I wonder how many of these are stored carefully, covered in a safe environment waiting to be found! She seems pretty much original, a real head turner!

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
sorry. i offer no information, just admiration for a fine old boat.

jojobee

Commander
Box keel would give it away. Cant tell from the pics. If so, it carries on the seabright skiff design

Ned L

Lieutenant
No question. She was built by Charlie Hankins in Lavalette N.J. I would guess in the 1960's. Yep, boxed garboard keel, jersey white cedar planking, steam bend white oak ribs. - this is one incredible sea boat! she will comfortably handle weather that will turn most boats twice her size back (if they woud even leave the pier!)

....................... I just saw where you said she was originally sold in 1964. - Not a bad guess on my part.

Last edited:

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
That looks like Ben Gardiners boat!

Okay so I just watched Jaws I and II... Was neat to look back and see some older nice looking boats in everyday use...

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I live in Seaford as well, on Ocean Ave, where your boat was built. The address is down the block from where I live. I'll see if I can find anything about the manufacturer this weekend.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
The address is part of Treasure Island Marina, they've owned it for at least 12 years. I'll try to go there on Friday to see what they know.

Ned L

Lieutenant
Williams marine and "Seaford" in N.Y. are only the dealer that sold the boat. She was built in New Jersey.

Ned L

Lieutenant
........... And what "Charles Hankins & Son" was most famous for. --- His 16' surf boat that was used by life guards all along the Jersey shore (and beyond) for more than half a century!

ry%3D400

capnrob

Lieutenant
Boat Make
webbers cove 34 1968
The most famous Sea Bright Skiff I know of was "FOX". This skiff was modified to be used by Harbo and Samuelson to take the challenge of a NY Publisher to cross the Atlantic Ocean without sail or steam. The prize was $10K. A lot of money at the turn of the 20th century! Well these guys tongued oysters for a living so, they rowed and by thunder they made it. If you go to YouTube there's a great song that describes the voyage.

Last edited:

Ned L

Lieutenant
yes, and Interesting story about Sanuelsen, Harbo their "Fox", and rowing from MY to LaHarve France in 1896.

Fox was built by the Seaman boat works in Long Branch N.J specifically for the passage. As a 13 year old boy, Harold Seaman helped his dad (the shop owner) build Fox by bucking rivets. Fast forward 79 years later to 1975 and the Long Branch Ice Boat and Yacht Club decided to build a replica of Fox (there are no records of what happened to the original Fox). Harold "Pappy" Seaman again helps design and build the reproduction (at the age of 93). -- Pretty neat!

ry%3D400

The reproduction shortly after launching in 1975.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The reproduction today.

Top Bottom