1964 Lowell

Boxerboy2

Lieutenant Commander
IMG_9815[49161].jpg

Back in its day. Obviously it no longer is sporting a tower, the boat was stripped down to the hull and bulkhead so the current deck, cockpit, and cabin layout are new while it still maintains the original cabin and cockpit dimensions. It also still sports the original helm station.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I can smell the warmth of the wood and the salt in the air in that picture from here.

Last edited:

Boxerboy2

Lieutenant Commander
Was going to ask the same....if I say please?. Where is she going to be berthed?
It will ironically be where it was berthed by the original owner - Crockers Yacht Yard in Manchester by the Sea. There are a lot of folks that fished on her over the years that still are local so I am going to have an "open boat" event in the next few weeks. I need to get the bottom and wheel work finished first and will post here.

putherinthecorner

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Vinnie Cavanaugh
Congrats! So glad to hear that she made it back to New England and cold saltwater where she belongs. And a salty old boatyard to boot. That teak cockpit is amazing.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I am thinking the same thing! TL sounds like a real character! I had heard that he was a Pan Am or TWA pilot and rode life to its fullest extent possible.
I think he might live near me too. All you need is a couple of Stidd bench seats. That is a perfect boat to wind thru all the island chains up in down east Maine. Just be sure to pick up Old Mud along the way.

Cantab

Ensign
First Name
Forbes
Boat Make
JN 32
I grew up in Manchester, and my family were close with the Lelands. I'm so glad to see this incredible vessel coming home. Here is a pic of the boat dated July 20th, 1983 "whale watching with Capt. Tutor Leland aboard the Flying Sorceress". That's my mom and sister in the cockpit. I was born 5 months before, so I assume I was either in a bucket somewhere or not invited!
2013_01_31_16_18_241983-07-20_Original.jpg

Boxerboy2

Lieutenant Commander
I grew up in Manchester, and my family were close with the Lelands. I'm so glad to see this incredible vessel coming home. Here is a pic of the boat dated July 20th, 1983 "whale watching with Capt. Tutor Leland aboard the Flying Sorceress". That's my mom and sister in the cockpit. I was born 5 months before, so I assume I was either in a bucket somewhere or not invited!
View attachment 108121
Incredible photo and story, I will add it to my burgeoning collection, now up to 2

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
Great boat, great story but even better that those on here that knew her back in the day can add to your history database.
Who did you end up with to transport her?

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
It will ironically be where it was berthed by the original owner - Crockers Yacht Yard in Manchester by the Sea. There are a lot of folks that fished on her over the years that still are local so I am going to have an "open boat" event in the next few weeks. I need to get the bottom and wheel work finished first and will post here.
Congratulations and very excited to see this masterpiece back in local waters. Keep us posted on a date for your “open boat”!

stumpstalker

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
22-ft. Tripp Angler inboard
As you can see on this thread, the builder, Phil Fessenden, had an affinity for wood. He built houses, and many boats, including skiffs, and duck hunting sneak boxes.

His shop in Ipswich was like a museum. In the 1990s, late in his life, he expressed pride in the fact that after a long career, all of the wooden boats he built were still operating, except for a couple that met their demise by way of violent accident or fire.

He was a World War II veteran and served on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific. Under Japanese attack the portion of the carrier deck on which Phil was standing gave way and he fell to a lower deck, injuring his back. He was tall man, but for the rest of his life stood with a stoop due to a spinal misalignment as a result of the fall.

The chronic injury did not prevent him from being productive as a builder, and as a charter-boat operator for many years out of Gloucester.

Among the clutter in his workshop were a few line-dryer/changers that he built -- out of mahogany, no less -- harking back to the days before mono and Dacron, when the linen tuna line had to be dried between uses to avert rot.

Here is a photo of one of the line-dryers/changers he built:

line.changer.phil.fessenden.jpg

Boxerboy2

Lieutenant Commander
Great boat, great story but even better that those on here that knew her back in the day can add to your history database.
Who did you end up with to transport her?
I ended up using Jeff Heston who is an older gentleman that has been moving wood boats "since I got back from Nam". I leaned on Dave Burt from Liberty Marine - and owner of the sister ship - for a lot of information, but at the end of the day it just did not make sense for Dave to drive all the way to Texas and haul this back.

Top Bottom