1974 Spray rails

jojobee

Commander
I have a 1974 Tripp angler with bolt thru spray rails that run the length of the boat on each side. In a couple spots near the bolts that hold on the spray rail, I have developed cracks. The material seem to be some sort of TACO-like product...not wood. Is this repairable with some caulk adhesive type product? I would assume that epoxy will not stick to this.

Thanks for your help
Joe

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Without see a photo it is hard to say. Any of the TACO, PVC or hard rubber spray rails are almost impossible to get anything to stick them. I think your best bet is to super clean the cracked areas, wash well with acetone & pack in 5200 material with a putty knife on a nice super warm day or maybe even a little heat gun help. The 5200 will not give any strength back it will just keep the water out.
The big thing with these rails & I have mentioned it before is they must always be blocked on all launches & haul outs. It is the travel life singling's that gets this problem started.

tt.jpg

kristen 039.jpg

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
I have a 1974 Tripp angler with bolt thru spray rails that run the length of the boat on each side. In a couple spots near the bolts that hold on the spray rail, I have developed cracks. The material seem to be some sort of TACO-like product...not wood. Is this repairable with some caulk adhesive type product? I would assume that epoxy will not stick to this.

Thanks for your help
Joe
Can you post some pictures? Do the cracks appear to be leading towards a condition that will cause that rail to come loose or cause leaks at the bolts? Are the cracks localized, one side or both? If most of the rails are in good condition you might be able cut out the damaged piece and scarf in a new one just like a wood repair? If the rails are polyethylene or polypropylene then glue would not be a good solution. Pictures will do the most good to finding some good suggestions on this forum.

jojobee

Commander
spray rail pic

I suppose splicing in the section is an option. Here is a pic. Some of the thru bolts are glassed in from the inside. I'm running 12-17 knots with this boat and half thought to get rid of the rails.

photo.JPG

Splinters

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Egg Harbor
I wonder if WEST SYSTEM would do the trick. Use the Collida Silica and the heavy duty bonding compound with 105 resin and 205 hardener. That stuff is really got some great adhesive properties.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
I suppose splicing in the section is an option. Here is a pic. Some of the thru bolts are glassed in from the inside. I'm running 12-17 knots with this boat and half thought to get rid of the rails.
I could not tell much from the picture. I could not see the crack issue that you have. I did notice what I see with most spray rails is that they are usually too tall and skinny. I understand the need for a sharp edge on the bottom side but I don't understand why they always seem to have the same profile on the top side. I suppose that the skinnier that they are the easier it is to install them. The skinnier ones also look better than the fat ones but the fatter ones would have less tendency to be peeled off by the travel lift or if they hit something. I attached a couple of photos of the ones on my boat, the bottom is very flat, the top has a pronounced angle to it, much more secure structurally. I think that they look just fine. They are wood, through bolted with brass wear strips screwed into them. They appear to be original to the boat, 42 years old, so pretty robust.

At this point I am not sure what to suggest. Are they causing a problem or are they just a concern? I could not see an issue in the photograph. Do you know how the boat will respond without them? Do they leak or seem like they are about to come off or do they just look bad?

A better photo might help. You might be able to cut off the bolts that are glassed in...sawsall or Fein Multimaster from the outside, grinder from the inside.

spray rail detail.jpg

spray rail detail 1.jpg

spray rail detail 2.jpg

jojobee

Commander
I circled them for you. I'm fixing up the boat and have the floor up. I can make a repair, replace or get rid of the spray rails. I have no issues doing any of these things. The thru bolts are under the floor so while I have it up I wanted to address it. I stress that I am "fixing up" the boat. This is not intended to be some pocket Hinckley...just a decent bass boat.

To be honest, I was not sure of the responces I would recieve. I figured I would get half the people saying "get rid of it and put new ones on" and the other half saying "we see this all the time, just fill it and fair it with such and such".

photo.JPG

Last edited:

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I tried filling mine with some epoxy that I had in a tube left over from another project. (GRRR EPOXY!) Just tossed down some packing tape, slit the seam and filled it in. Didn't do much, broke out the next season in the same spot. I've thought about trying to PVC weld it, just haven't picked up a welding unit yet, and one would need to be careful not to scorch the hull as you're doing the welding (hello copper sheeting!).

If it was me and I already had the deck up and full access to everything I'd wind a new one on, but that is just me. Doesn't look like it gets very much action on it, maybe you should just put some additional fasteners in each end of your pieces there and bung over the countersinks, fill your cracks with some nice elastomeric sealant and maybe give it a splash of paint to blend everything together.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I circled them for you. I'm fixing up the boat and have the floor up. I can make a repair, replace or get rid of the spray rails. I have no issues doing any of these things. The thru bolts are under the floor so while I have it up I wanted to address it. I stress that I am "fixing up" the boat. This is not intended to be some pocket Hinckley...just a decent bass boat.

To be honest, I was not sure of the responces I would recieve. I figured I would get half the people saying "get rid of it and put new ones on" and the other half saying "we see this all the time, just fill it and fair it with such and such".

I like the idea of 3/4 hollow backed S/S trim> It may be a nice way to fix your problem.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make

Thanks for the highlights, I had thought the cracks were a magic marker line you had placed. Those cracks look like they are pretty severe. I would think down the road, is this going to bother you or cause a problem with resale? If you are doing an overhaul I would replace them, nothing lasts forever and they are probably useful.

Top Bottom