1976 Midland

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by Gene Jr., Jul 10, 2018.

1. Gene Jr.

Gene Jr. Member

Collision Repair Shop Manager
    Boat Make:
    Midway
    I have a 1976 Midland 20'. I'm not sure what the official size is but it's aprox. 20'. It's been repowered with a 2015 Nissan 90. A bit over powered in my opinion. I added large trim tabs and that at least got it under control.

My question is: my HIN only seems to have 11 digits. The state of PA says it should have a minimum of 12 digits. My transom has been replaced and they did damage the left edge of the HIN stamping. But, it starts with GGR which is the manufacturers code. Does anyone know what the HIN's started with for Midlands? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is holding up my registration.

Thanks!
    Gene

2. Andyf32

Andyf32 Member

Gene,
    Mine has 12 digits including the GGR. It starts with GGR.

3. Gene Jr.

Gene Jr. Member

Boat Make:
    Midway
    Thanks! I'm not sure what I'm missing then. Since it was damaged at the beginning of the HIN I thought maybe it started with something else. But mine also starts with GGR. My complete HIN is GGR00960676 . Just guessing but thinking the 76 may be the year code.

4. Andyf32

Andyf32 Member

Gene,
    Yes the 76 would be the year. If the numbers go sequentially I think you may be missing a 0 before the "9606". Mine is a 77 and is over 10,000 and has 2 zeroes prior to the number.

gary49 likes this.
  5. Gene Jr.

Gene Jr. Member

Boat Make:
    Midway
    Really appreciate the help! Hopefully the state will accept it. My registration is currently pending because of it.

6. pyrofan

pyrofan Senior Member

fisherman, carpenter
    Boat Make:
    wilcox and midland
    Hi Gene Jr,

I made the wooden plugs for all three Midland boats... the Midland 19, my Dad and I made in 1966 ... the Midland 22, I made in 1978 ... the Midland 20.6, I made in 1980.

The Midland 19 and 22 were soft - round chime boats, the Midland 20.6 was a hard chime boat. I have pictures in my album..gallery on here.

Can't figure out how to drag photos from my albums to this thread, but here's a link....

Albums for user: pyrofan | Downeast Boat Forum

7. Gene Jr.

Gene Jr. Member

Boat Make:
    Midway
    Thank you for sharing! That is really interesting. I'm really enjoying my 19. It's a noticeable difference from my past experience with aluminum boats! The ride is incredible.

8. rich

rich Member

Last two digits of the HIN number is the year it was built. Two digits before the year are the month built. The one above was built in June.

rich,
    Gene Jr. likes this.