1981 B&S 35 Project

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I'm pretty sure I'll hit 25 knots or pretty darn close to it. I had a couple of good experienced coaches to guide me in the setup. Time will tell.

I went with a Vetus BOW60 thruster. I almost went for the equivalent Side Power model but I already had the joystick control for the Vetus. So the tail wagged the dog a little bit in this case.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
25kts sounds low to me if you don’t fill it with teak and toilets... Lifting rails?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I'm installing a larger rudder port for the new rudder. It requires a larger diameter hole through the bottom of the boat. The existing hole is in the correct location in relation to the keel mounted hardware that supports the bottom of the rudder shaft and is 4" deep. In order to bore a larger diameter hole through the bottom of the boat and remain on center with the existing hole clear through, I came up with this arrangement which I refer to as Special Service Tool #6969Mofodrill ;). I made two circular discs out of fiberglass board that have a 1/4" hole through the center. Each disc is pressed into the existing bore - one on the top and one on the bottom. I removed the 1/4" center drill on the hole saw and installed a piece of 1/4" rod that is 6" long. The rod fit through both discs and held the hole saw on center. Once the first disc had been cut through and the hole saw was fully seated into the cut, the bottom disc did most of the work guiding the hole saw. This worked out perfectly. I just have to shorten the new rudder port by an inch and all is good.

Special Service Tool.JPG

IMG_5799.JPG

IMG_5801.JPG

IMG_5802.JPG

IMG_5803.JPG

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I have the same drill Vin. Albeit quite a bit cleaner but it has been through hell. A lot of using a 1/2" auger for making floats. All pt. I did have to replace the clutch once. E bay for <$ 20. and the whole assembly came with a chuck. Granted it's not my Milwaukee but a dam good tool for the money.
Wire wheel will clean up a drill pretty quick. Maybe some scratches but takes off the thick build up

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I was bit by the supply chain BS on the stainless plate I need for building the new rudder. That should arrive today "for the third time". I'm not happy about that because I planned well in advance for that order. So my launch date had to be pushed to June 30. In the mean time, The bottom is finally getting the barrier coat it's long been waiting for. Five coats of Interlux 2000E. Seems to leave a much smoother finish than the two coat Sea Hawk system that I have used in the past. There is always something to do. What's that old saying?....Idle hands are the tools for the devil! Hahaha he forgot my name years ago!

IMG_5811.JPG

IMG_5812.JPG

Top Bottom