1982 Midland 19 Project

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19

I officially started on the Midland this afternoon by assessing the 70 hp Johnson's condition. It was pretty obvious the boat has seen little use the past couple of years. The mice had a public housing project underway beneath the engine cowling. I evicted them with the ShopVac. The wiring connections were all corroded so the next hour was spent getting current flowing once again through the wiring. The engine had been fogged so I put in fresh plugs and gave the carbs a shot of 2 stroke starting fluid. She started and died, I made several attempts and by playing with choke and throttle managed to get it running for a few minutes. I noticed there was no water flowing from the cooling tattletale.

Once the engine was warm , I pulled the plugs and did a compression check, 60-55-58 PSI. Not very encouraging but certainly not unexpected, I can't expect much from a 30 year old outboard used on a commercial fishing boat. Considering the cooling tattletale is not flowing the engine may be cooked.

Tomorrow I'll give it another go before declaring the engine junk. I'll get the air leaks out of the fuel hoses and get the motor running better. I'll check that the tattletale isn't just clogged and I'll try another compression check.

I think I'll stop by the Honda dealer on the way home and see what a 50hp outboard will cost.....

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
:D:D:D

The low compression could be carbon in the rings, try soaking the cylinders in Deep Creep or Sea Foam, they may free up an boost the compression a little, or you could be right she might be cooked. But if it ran well other wise you might be OK.

Hard to tell from a keyboard.

Nice project!!

I called a friend who worked on outboards for many years, He brought over a CRC version of seafoam and sprayed it through the carb with a spray bottle while cranking. We let it soak about 20 mins and then started the engine. It smoked for a couple of minutes and then settled down. He stopped it and we changed plugs. restarted it and pulled the hose on the tattletale , no water in the cooling system at all, so impeller is either sheared or worn out. We warmed it back up and rechecked the compression with a different gauge Still around 60 lbs. He also noticed a weak spark on #2 cylinder. We then hooked up an air hose to each sparkplug hole and listened, besides the air leaking past the rings we could hear air coming through the cooling system on the top cylinder, so bad head gasket or worse. He pulled the head to investigate further. There was scuffing in the cylinders so it has been hot or run lean. Fixable he said he says for the money involved he rather see me with a 1988 or later version of the OMC 70 or a Yamaha 50 or 70 2 stroke. So this engine is toast.

I did stop by Honda and priced a 50 hp, $9000!!!:eek:
I called around town and ,Yamaha was $7500, Tohatsu $6500,Evinrude Etec $7200, Merc was $7000 , These were all installed with controlls and PDI.

I saw a clean 2000 Evinrude 70 with 130# claimed compression for $900 I'm thinking seriously about that one since it would be an easy swap or possibly holding out for a good used 50 or 70 2 stroke Yamaha.

I'm open to suggestions and recommendations

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Ya dude enough with that thing.. here is 3 ideas

70 suzuki 4 stroke in CT
2001 suzuki 70 four stroke poss. trades

then in weymouth ma near me at monahans marine they did have this about a month ago..75 yamaha 4stroke for $6300.. (look at this thread for pics http://downeastboatforum.com/boatin...-around-web/new-yamaha-4-stroke-75hp-494.html )

then while I was looking about a month ago I came across a whole slew of bass boats (obviously all freshwater) with some nice looking motors on them..do a search around you on craigs for "bass boat" something like this
1997 17' Alumacraft Bass Boat 115hp Suzuki and trailer .. rip the motor off and sell for 1500

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
Thanks for the links Bill. At my wife's prodding I ended up buying the 2000 Johnson 70. ( I married an OMC dealer's daughter ) It is in great condition and was a freshwater engine also. Not exactly a low fuel consumption motor, But the $4000-8000 difference in price should buy a helluva lot of fuel.... for awhile :p

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Steal on that motor for $900.. wow..I hope that you at least get a discount on OMC parts!

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
The old man died back back in 04, He sold the Marina in 1998 and did the Great Loop twice in a 22' C-Dory being pushed by a 1974 70hp Evinrude. He also cruised to Newfoundland from Portsmouth NH. On the rare times he had a problem with the motor he would fix it from shoe box full of parts he kept in the locker. That motor is still going strong on my BIL's Carolina Skiff.

Problem with being married to a marina owners' daughter is I can't BS her when it comes to boats.

Last edited:

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
So it looks like the big job will be replacing the cuddy bulkhead. There is a fair amount of rot from water trapping behind the sill. I'm going to use 3/4" double side MDO for the replacement. I'll also reduce the door width to 22" , radius the corners and make a weather resistant door to fit

I'll also make a new console from MDO and epoxy over it.

The binnacle twin stick control will be replaced by a single OMC

I'm adding a Tach, Temp and Volt meters

I'm turning the pot hauler over to a friend of mine to come up with a 12 volt drive ( we have been talking about adapting a automobile starter and automatic transmission flywheel as a drive)

The local glass company I do business with is going to make 3 new fixed windows for the cuddy. They will be a little bit larger using 1/4" laminated glass tinted. They will be installed with a two piece locking rubber "H" gasket. Quoted cost with gasket is $32 per window

I'm also going to search for an old metal permit plate to replace the CT commercial fishing permit tag the previous owner had on the boat.

I don't care for portable fuel cans and don't use them if I can avoid them.
I'm looking into a 16-19 gallon bow tank. Custom would be the best fit, But I'm going to do a mock-up of this tank from Worst Marine to see if I can make it work. Moeller has a polyethylene tank almost the same dimensions . I would like to find a tank with more of a v shape that would fit farther forward in the bow

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
Today was a pretty busy with work but I stopped on the way home to get the boat registered before the trail to the previous owner gets too cold. I ran into a bit of hassle with how the Connecticut registration is setup. CT wants you to return the registration to CT DMV when you sell a boat but New York wants it as part of their records. The people at DMV were really helpfull ( shocking!) and the problem was settled by calling CT DMV . CT said a stamped and signed copy of the registration would be fine to get the previous owner off the books. So after an hour of shuffling papers and refilling out of forms I finally left with a 3 year transferrable NY registration!
The DMV clerk even went out of her way to try and figure a work around on the unregistered trailer. No luck though, I'm gonna have to spent a few hundred on the trailer anyway. Using the receipts and a weight ticket from a certified scale I can register it as a home made trailer in the spring

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
Been running on borrowed time weather wise so I put a 12 x 22 tarp shed up today to give me a dry place to work this winter. I made up some quick trusses and stood them up on 2x4's laying flat on the ground. I covered the roof with 7/16 OSB and then covered with the whole thing with a 30x 50 tarp from JobLot. I nailed some battens over the tarp to keep it from flapping around and keeping my neighbors up at night. It cost me about $ 200 total in material including the tarp.

I also ran a 12/3 wire from an outdoor 220v plug I use for a welder. Besides a 110 duplex I also put in a 220v/15 amp recepticle for the electric shop heater with fan that I can use when the salamander isn't safe to run.

I still need to put on some collar ties to keep the trusses from spreading out if I get a heavy snow.

Last edited:

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
I have been feeling a bit left out not having any structural issues or stringers to replace. Well I'm feeling much better now, I cut the deck this morning to measure for a custom fuel tank and I found out why the boat feels so heavy on the trailer!

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
The keel stringer is rotted between the floors where the helm is. Tapping at the port and starboard stringers they sound solid but the starboard side stringer is pretty wet. I get it cleaned up and dried out a bit before investigating further

Pedlyr

Captain
Like the shelter or what I call a "neighbor hater".

Looks like you got a place and set up for the winter. Probably gonna need it. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Ever think of a hydraulic PTO for the outboard? Instead of 12V electric for the hauler?

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Pedlyr, i have a bud that is looking to do a hauler with a outboard...do you have any info on that set up....thanks Mike

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
Like the shelter or what I call a "neighbor hater".

Looks like you got a place and set up for the winter. Probably gonna need it. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Ever think of a hydraulic PTO for the outboard? Instead of 12V electric for the hauler?

Yeah it came with the hydraulic pump on top of the motor but the pump was bad. I'm replacing the outboard and the hauler will only be used for a string of rec license pots and hauling the anchor when I get too old or lazy to pull it up by hand.

But funny thing is I was looking at the websites for the Ace Line 12 volt pot and also the Blue Ocean version to see how they were driving their pullers. Then last Friday I was getting parts for my snowplow when a guy walked in to pick up a motor for the cover tarp on a dump truck. SOB! it is the exact same motor! it comes in several different torques/ HP and rpms. The stongest has about 100 ft lbs of torque at 40 rpm and costs a little over $300. All I would need to do is swap the 1" split bushing on the hydraulic motor to 3/4 for the Tarp motor ($10) and redrill the mounting holes in the hauler base plate.

Last edited:

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
Pedlyr, i have a bud that is looking to do a hauler with a outboard...do you have any info on that set up....thanks Mike

Mike The one on my boat was an old(30 years) Osco put in by J&J Marine Hydraulics in RI. For serious work IMO he might be better off in both power and money spent to buy a hauler with a pump mated up to a 5hp honda motor

Hydro Slave Pot Haulers

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Nice dude.. didnt know you were tearing her up.. did the same thing on fishondons new 19ft seaway he got last weekend....stringers just completely mush

photo_2.jpg

Top Bottom