1983 Nauset 27 layup? Cored or Solid?

novivin

Captain
Would a 27 Nauset built in the early 80's (1983 to be exact) be a cored or solid layup? I assume it is solid from what I have read about early Nausets/Brunos on this forum. I am considering a 27 nauset gasser with a 230 hp mercruiser. Also, thoughts on fuel economy at 12-14 knots would be appreciated. I am not looking to break the bank here. I currently own a 22 footer with a 90 hp Yamaha OB, very economical. Torn on whether to go big or enjoy the portability of my trailerable Novi. I want to go much bigger someday, but that is far off. I would not mind being able to overnight with my family of four in nice weather.

nausetwidgeon

Lieutenant
I dont think that the nauset boats were cored. If you were really interested you could probably call nauset marine and they will probably remember the boat since I beleive the one you are talking about is still on cape.

finaddict

Lieutenant Commander
Website
stores.ebay.com
Boat Make
Nauset
Would a 27 Nauset built in the early 80's (1983 to be exact) be a cored or solid layup? I assume it is solid from what I have read about early Nausets/Brunos on this forum. I am considering a 27 nauset gasser with a 230 hp mercruiser. Also, thoughts on fuel economy at 12-14 knots would be appreciated. I am not looking to break the bank here. I currently own a 22 footer with a 90 hp Yamaha OB, very economical. Torn on whether to go big or enjoy the portability of my trailerable Novi. I want to go much bigger someday, but that is far off. I would not mind being able to overnight with my family of four in nice weather.

I believe it is solid glass. Give Dave Dechamps a call at nauset marine. He problably built it himself and can give you a brief history. He always enjoys a call about his older vessels still on the water and being used.

I have a 29 foot nauset (1986). 260 hp gas. I cruise at 13 knots and wot 17. For a gasser it is not too bad. I get about 1 mile per gallon cruising. Barely sips fuel if trolling. Contact me if I can help further, my only negative is they are rolly boats.

thorndog

Ensign
Boat Make
Nauset 27
Nauset 27

Hi novivin,
I own a 1982 Nauset 27 since 1999 and I love the boat. I ran it from Florida to the Bahamas and used it there for a year, it was perfect for areas with sandbars because of the full keel. I ran it 1000 nM last year from Nassau to here in Mexico south of Cancun and I can tell you, this boat can handle damn near anything you can, and do it economically.
The hull is solid fine layered fiberglass, I have installed through hulls in a couple of areas and actually kept the cores :)
Yes she is rolly and especially in a following sea but it's part of the tradeoffs in the hull design, can't have it all. I have taken a rogue wave head on, went through it, saw nothing but green but she kept going without noticing hahaha. I guess we all have stories.

Last edited:

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Several years ago, I was interested in a project nauset 27 and called nauset for some info.
They told me that they built whatever the customer wanted. Theybsaidvthey built balsa and solid.
If you look in thevbilgevofvthe boat you are interested in, you can see the transition from core to glass plain as day.

thorndog

Ensign
Boat Make
Nauset 27
This one was apparently built for the US Navy. They used it for... get this, towing paragliders, it was a new thing then I guess and maybe they needed to train on them.... All the decking is balsa cored which has stood up very well, at 30 yrs old, no problems.
This boat was definitely built to last!

Top Bottom