1986 26' JC Provincetown

marktore

Commander
After looking at this rig for a year off and on I finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago. It took a while to get her home due to the snow. Here is a little background... she was re-powered 5 years ago with a Mercruiser 8.1 gasser (400hrs) at Gone Fishing Marina in Montauk, for anyone familiar with some of the boats at Gone Fishing she used to be the Suzie Too, which I plan to put back on her. All Furuno, new decks, tanks are good, new shaft.

So the plan is to give the JC a facelift addressing key items and be back in the water by June timeframe, I keep telling myself baby steps because I'm already feeling overwhelmed. First order of business is to gut the cabin and get this rug out, the mold is bad. I started peeling it today and boy the glue is going to be a problem... I am thing to sand it off but if anyone has a better idea please let me know. Other items for this year will be a new top, new electrical panel with breakers, bonding fixes, anchoring system, misc wiring, re-bed all trunk cabin fittings (everything is leaking, hatches, bow rail, etc...).

This will be a project that will take a few seasons, a little every year with hopes of fishing her in between small projects... As far as the gasser I plan to run it until it dies then move into a diesel. Here are a few pics of her on day one...

MT

photo 4.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

cb34

Rear Admiral

Very cool little boat, as for the glue just replace the carpet and hull liner after you have treated the mold. Gasser best serves a boat your size;)

marktore

Commander
It has been a few weeks and I havent gotten as much done as I would have liked too but we are chipping away. Work, weather, etc has been making it hard to spend some quality time working on her. Here are some shots of the progress. The cabin is gutted, top is done/frame polished and today I spent 7 hrs wire wheeling glue (Thanks El Mar) . I got everything done from the rubrail down, I probably have another day of grinding the glue from the trunk cabin (the overhead is going to suck!) and then I can start painting and rebuilding the cabin.

You will see my helper is my wife; she jumped right in and was gutting most of the cabin while I was scrapping the cabin liner/carpet. She is the best! And she can kill some fish with the best of them...

MT

photo 1 (2).jpg

photo 2 (2).JPG

photo 3 (2).JPG

photo 2 (3).jpg

photo 3 (3).jpg

photo 4 (1).jpg

photo 2 (1).JPG

photo 3 (1).jpg

photo 1 (1).JPG

marktore

Commander
Quick question... I can see a graph type pattern in the glass now that the glue is removed, outlines of little black boxes. What is that???

MT

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Love this project and the pics Mark- great to have the wife onboard too. You are very lucky.

How big are the squares? Sounds like balsa coring to me- wood core that is between the inner layer and outer layer of the hull's fiberglass. Can you post a close up so we could see for sure?

What is the plan for the boat/cabin in the end?

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Never understood why people put carpet in like that. Nice looking JC! Great to have your wife helping you. I have to bribe mine to help with boat chores :)

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Just tuned in to this thread.
Looks like a great boat, and fun project.
You are seeing balsa coring through the glass.
There is a jc 26 that I have done a good bit of work on over the years. It's balsa cored, and built HEAVY.
Put in a bow thruster since the owner has a tight little berth to squeeze into.
I kept the cut outs for the thruster tube. The glass thickness on either side of the balsa is staggering.
If I remember tomorrow I'll take some pics and post them.

Quite a woman you have there:)

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Cingrats on the boat. I walked by her many times at Diamond Cove. A little love and she will be a sweeter ride then she already is. And I agree, that size boat Gas is prob a better option then diesel. Just my 2 cents.

Rockasauras

Captain
Never understood why people put carpet in like that. Nice looking JC! Great to have your wife helping you. I have to bribe mine to help with boat chores :)

Parker Boats love that carpet glued on thing. Every one I have seen had the funky glue stained moldy ass breeding ground stuck on the inside. Maybe they do it different these days but in the past I had inquired about buying one without it and they wouldn't do it...geezz

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Nice boat Mark! Best of luck with her. Sounds like your wife really enjoys being out on the water. I hope you don't think she is helping just because she love's you. :lol:

marktore

Commander
Thanks everyone for the replies, I will continue to post progress pics...

Just tuned in to this thread.
Looks like a great boat, and fun project.
You are seeing balsa coring through the glass.
There is a jc 26 that I have done a good bit of work on over the years. It's balsa cored, and built HEAVY.
Put in a bow thruster since the owner has a tight little berth to squeeze into.
I kept the cut outs for the thruster tube. The glass thickness on either side of the balsa is staggering.
If I remember tomorrow I'll take some pics and post them.

Quite a woman you have there:)

NickyP... That would be awesome, if you find them please post them up. Last year when I went for a ride on her we had a head sea, 2/3' chop and she just plowed through like nothing. She is a very heavy 26' boat. A little wet in the head sea, I plan to install spray rails before launching.

Nice boat Mark! Best of luck with her. Sounds like your wife really enjoys being out on the water. I hope you don't think she is helping just because she love's you. :lol:

Thats too funny, you are probably right!

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Better late than never

Sorry for taking so long
Here is the pic of a 26jc core sample at the bow under the waterline

image.jpg

marktore

Commander
The Glue is finally all gone!

I finally got all the glue removed from the cabin; all in it took 25 hrs to remove/complete. Next weekend I will pull all the hatches, bow rail, etc. to re-bed them and stop all the leaking; I am anticipating rot and repairs to the trunk cabin core. Also have to start the clean up and get ready for paint. I am planning to hit the cabin with a sander here and there before really trying to get all the glue dust up. While the sander is out I will sand the deck and bulkhead getting that ready for paint.

I am planning to use Durabak in the cabin and on the deck, I have a friend that has used this product a few times and really likes it. Anyone on here using it? Here are a few pics of the progress...

MT

jc cabin 1.jpg

jc cabin 2.jpg

JC cabin.jpg

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Word of caution on the Durabak, I have not used it, but have heard that it remains a little tacky even after it is cured.

Had a friend who used it and said it would really hold dirt. Tacky to the point where a paper towel would stick to it if left there for a few mins.

May want to research it a little more, or atleast do a test panel before you put it down for good.

I use durabak on my boats. It does take a few days to fully cure. Once I lay it down I wont step on it for atleast a few days. The main trick is to thoroughly stir the can well, not shake. Lay one coat down then about a half hour later go over it again and this give you a good bond and good texture. I'll be applying it to my privateer as soon as I know it wont rain for a couple of days.

marktore

Commander
Its been a few weeks, things have been crazy!

I thought for sure I would been on the water by now, guess not. Things have been crazy, work, a little sewage back up and my parents house two weeks before it being sold!!! Talk about a fire drill, well here are some updated pics... At this point I will be happy with mid-july to launch. Cabin is almost done, next up is electronics and new breaker panel.

Take a look at the last picture... If anyone knows where I can get replacemant hardware and knobs for the older Vetus portholes please let me know. Mine are seized, no matter what I do I can not get them to free up.

MT

photo 1 (1).jpg

photo 2 (1).jpg

photo 3 (3).jpg

photo 3 (2).JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 1 (2).JPG

photo 2 (2).JPG

photo 4 (1).jpg

photo 5.JPG

marktore

Commander
I know I have not been good about updating this thread but she is done for now and being splashed later this week. Cabin has been completely rebuilt, 80% of the boat has new wiring, new breaker panels, re-bedded almost every fitting, bonding, etc, etc, etc... Here are some pics...

MT

photo 1.JPG

photo 2 (1).jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3 (1).jpg

photo 4 (1).jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

photo (2).jpg

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Looks great! It always takes longer than planned. Best of luck with her!

sealaw

Lieutenant Commander
I know I have not been good about updating this thread but she is done for now and being splashed later this week. Cabin has been completely rebuilt, 80% of the boat has new wiring, new breaker panels, re-bedded almost every fitting, bonding, etc, etc, etc... Here are some pics...

MT

Hi Mark,

I just picked up this thread after getting your email this a.m. You did some VERY extensive work there, and very nicely too - glad you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!

Good luck & fair winds, my friend! Let's stay in touch as tautog season approaches!

Phil

Top Bottom