1989 Coastal 27 on its way back to the east coast

michlshor

Ensign
First Name
mike
newbie to this forum, but am in the process of acquiring the above and trying to learn as much as I can about the history and charecteristics. The above is the Sportman model and a gasser with 5.7 merc bluewater. Came across the Tripp 27 Angler a few years back and looked perfect for a boat to chase stripers/blues, enjoy a G&T as the sunsets and an occasional jaunt from Boston Harbor to Martha's. Quickly found they were as rare as the perfect ski boot, but had siblings from Nauset and Coastal/Pearson. This is a bit of an extravagent impulse buy since it is in CA and I'm depending on mech survey/pictures and discussions with owner, but life is short and unicorns are indeed rare. My key questions are whether or not there are any quirks/design flaws/"oh shit" issues that I need to be aware of. Probably should have posed before I went all in but good adventures are hard to find. starboard side.jpg

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Welcome to the DBF and best of luck with the new boat!
I believe forum member Skyeboat owns a Coastal 27. Contact him through a private message if he does not respond here.

Last edited:

Fishonnelsons

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

HeadScratcher

Ensign
First Name
Tim
newbie to this forum, but am in the process of acquiring the above and trying to learn as much as I can about the history and charecteristics. The above is the Sportman model and a gasser with 5.7 merc bluewater. Came across the Tripp 27 Angler a few years back and looked perfect for a boat to chase stripers/blues, enjoy a G&T as the sunsets and an occasional jaunt from Boston Harbor to Martha's. Quickly found they were as rare as the perfect ski boot, but had siblings from Nauset and Coastal/Pearson. This is a bit of an extravagent impulse buy since it is in CA and I'm depending on mech survey/pictures and discussions with owner, but life is short and unicorns are indeed rare. My key questions are whether or not there are any quirks/design flaws/"oh shit" issues that I need to be aware of. Probably should have posed before I went all in but good adventures are hard to find. View attachment 104904
I have this same boat — 1988 hull and remanned Mercruiser 5.7. We’ve only had the boat since 9/2020 — but we love. I had quite a bit of work done over the winter and I’d be happy to share our experiences with boat. How are you transporting from West to East? We’re located in Maine

008EDAF1-F58D-4134-8A22-AB4995760BCA.jpeg

Tunacious

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Blackman
Most boats in Cali are well taken care of in the southern part of the state. We don't get bad weather and boats get used a lot. Above Point Conception, they get a lot of winter rain and wind, but is mild compared to the NE weather. That being said, make sure to get good pictures of the engine, gear and shaft packing area. Rust is your enemy and a boat that sits in the water 365, with a wet bilge will shows its age.

michlshor

Ensign
First Name
mike
Well, she arrived yesterday eve....spent today with my mechanic and surveyor for insurance purposes. Hull and decks nice and solid. Bilge very clean for a 32 yo boat...exterior woodwork, not perfect, but only to a fussy eye...the most intricately constructed wood swim platform I have ever seen....will post some pics soon. Electrics well sorted except for a very odd ball shore power connection. canvas and cushions all good to go..weather just to ugly today for pics in Boston....

michlshor

Ensign
First Name
mike
I have this same boat — 1988 hull and remanned Mercruiser 5.7. We’ve only had the boat since 9/2020 — but we love. I had quite a bit of work done over the winter and I’d be happy to share our experiences with boat. How are you transporting from West to East? We’re located in Maine

View attachment 105877
well, that looks just like ours except for a navy blue hull. portside seat removed and was replaced with two boat boxes making an L shaped seating area across from the helm. used Winton Trucking out of Sealy Texas....Mark and Jeffrey(driver) were a pleasure to work with. It felt a bit like a "mail order bride" since I'd only seen pictures and had a mechanical survey in Cali. Then felt like Christmas morning when it arrived Boston/Quincy. very curious re performance you are getting with the 5.7. Have same liter rated at 260hp. I'm told original engine but has had upgrades on risers and manifolds. very much appreciate any insights.

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
Just out of curiosity what did the tow cost. Say no comment if you rather not give up that type of info.
Other people in your situation in the future might like to know as well.

HeadScratcher

Ensign
First Name
Tim
Glad she made it without a hitch! Our engine is a remanned 1996(?). I had a mechanic friend come up from the Cape and gave it a full inspection. We’ve had good luck with it (except for a failed raw water pump). She cruises at 12-15knots at approx 2500rpm. We’ve run her at 18-20 knots at around 3200-3500. During the survey we did have the engine up to 4000, but just for a short time.

michlshor

Ensign
First Name
mike
let me begin with saying the process of finding the right guy was tough. Had never done this before so had no clue. Since I had boat US, checked with them and they offered UShip.....not impressed. UShip estimated cost to be between $5-$8k. Did my own research on quotes I was getting and
found out one of the folks who quoted thru them did not have DOT license and had arrest record for fraud. buyer beware.....Shipper out of the west coast referred by broker came in at 12k.....shipper mentioned by my mechanic, but not with recommendation came in at 9k. Other quotes ranged from 8.7k down to $6.5k(not recommended). What I learned was that there are more boats going east to west so there is some opportunity because shipper does not want to return east with empty trailer. My own thought after the experience is that those of us who have had good experiences and bad should contribute to a central database where folks needing help could see what others have experienced. Wou;ld not be that hard to do through a forum like this one!

michlshor

Ensign
First Name
mike
Glad she made it without a hitch! Our engine is a remanned 1996(?). I had a mechanic friend come up from the Cape and gave it a full inspection. We’ve had good luck with it (except for a failed raw water pump). She cruises at 12-15knots at approx 2500rpm. We’ve run her at 18-20 knots at around 3200-3500. During the survey we did have the engine up to 4000, but just for a short time.
those figures match what was shared with me after sea trial and mech inspection in CA. thanks, a bit of a confidence builder!

Top Bottom