1996 Eastern 31 JC Casco Bay Hull

JoeD

Lieutenant
Hey Guys!

I've been a lurker here for quite some time, I enjoy reading this great forum and drooling over the boat pics and projects, sponging as much info as I can.
Thanks for all of you that take you precious time to post info and to teach us about Doweast boats.
My fishing needs have passed the limitations of my 20' CC, so now I'm looking for something my wife and I can confortable and safely fish pass BI, and at the same time have room for a weekend gettaway.
I friend of mine gave me this info which I'm considering going for it/make an offer, it is a 31 foot JC.
If I'm not asking much for my first post, I'd like to ask you for a little input about this boat: The boat hasen't run much this season an has benn in the water thru the last two winters. Boat's in good shape and the motor sounds very strong, but it's all I can tell about it. In this economy, and considering all, what would be a reasonable and fair price for it?
Thanks in advance

Joe D.

Single Caterpillar Diesel 3208 Turbo375 hp with 1,200 hrs$59,900
Beam 11’3†• Max draft 3’3â€Cruises at 18 knots max speed 23 knots
Fiberglass Hull • Center Opening Windshield • (4) Safety Glass Windows(Sliding) no tint • Fly Bridge with bimini top • Non skid deck • Full keel • Transom door Raw waterwash down pump • Recessed rod holders in gunwale caps • Bomar stainless steel deck hatchesStainless steel cleats • Teak pulpit • Teak safety grab bars onpilothouse roof, cabin roof and bulkhead • 35lb fortress anchor
Electrical
DC 12 Volt • AC 110V 30 Amp with shore power hookup
12 volt DC Guest with spot and flood search light
Fuel and Waste System
Two 80 gallon aluminum fuel tanks • 20 Gallon Holding Tank • 30 gal water tanks
MISC
Electric Windshield Wipers • Two Electric Bilge Pumps • Running, Anchor Lighting SystemsTeak Hand Rails • Stainless Steel Steering Wheels • Two new 8d batteries
• New dripless bearing
Forward Cabin
V Type Berths With roomy Cushion • V Berth Storage Under • Enclosed Head/ stand up shower/Sink with Storage under • Galley has Corian counter top with undermount sinkV Berth Rope Locker • Refrigerator • Hanging locke
rMain Cabin
Control Panel with Engine Gauges/Controls/Steering • Locking Main Cabin Doors with sliderKlick klack sofa sleeps two • Sound and heat insulated engine hatch • Helm Pedestal seatOverhead rod racks in pilot house
Fly Bridge
2 pedestal seats with covers • Steering and gear shifts • Stainless Steel Railing • Stainless SteelLadder with teak stairs • Bimini top • Stainless steel Aft rail
Electronics
Furono radar • Simrad auto pilot • North Star pilot charter/GPS • Fishfinder

Icom radiois/VHF • Ritchie compass

jrg

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastern 24
For what it's worth - there's another 1996 Eastern 31 JC Casco Bay for sale at Yarmouth Boat Yard in Yarmouth, ME. You may be able to find it on their website listing. They're asking 59,975 for it - within a hundred bucks! I've crawled all over it and it's in decent shape. Definitely needs a little work in areas like cabin top and flybridge but as I recall, it's a gas motor - Mercruiser. I would think a diesel would add 5-10 grand to the value, at least. That's a great hull. Enjoy it!

Last edited:

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
It's older than the 96 you are looking at, but I second considering Captain Larry's Kristin. If for no other reason than to compare to the one you are looking at for the same price.

The third one that JRG posted at Yarmouth Boat yard should give you a good comparison of the three boats at the same price.

Good luck.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Thanks for the kind words on Kristen. She is a 1984 and much older than a 1996. The ask is currently $59,900. What makes her a diamond is a few things;
#1 She has a fully solid glass hull. Very few were built to that spec. Almost all are cord.
#2 She has 110 gallon solid fiberglass fuel tanks. Most have aluminum with a life of 20 years.
#3 Her 370 Yanmar is 1000 pounds lighter that a 3208 CAT and the power is fresh @ 1600 hours all PMs done on time with excellent records.
#4 She has the original JC shear lines lower slicker & prettier than the new models
#5 One owner boat.

Eastern make a great riding JC but if you are a serious buyer then give my vessel a look.

She is on the hard at Al Grover’s all serious offers considered.

F/V Kristen http://ww/http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=2417701&lang=en& slim=broker&&hosturl=groversbrokerage&&ywo=grovers brokerage&

kristen 032.jpg

kristen 052.jpg

atlanticblue

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
35 ft Bruno Stillman
I'm just saying if your planning on fishing it? Larry's is all rigged and laid out to fish hard, and nicer looking profile. The one in Maine is set up like a cruiser! House looks a little funky, but that's just my opinion!

FVSD

Lieutenant Commander
This is the prettiest JC 31 Flybridge I have seen in along time. Add a cockpit station and this would be a great boat for GBFT. I love the bench seat on the port side, great place to sleep waiting for the bite to turn on. PLUS comfortable for the family and no engine box!!

JoeD

Lieutenant
31 jc

Thanks guys for all the input and suggestions.
Capt Larry’s boat is indeed in awesome shape and I have consider it amongst others.

I’m scheduled for a sea trial this weekend, also I’ll have a better idea of the sellers flexibility with his asking price, once we talk it over in person.
I’ll keep you posted as I go along.
Thanks again guys and keep those suggestions coming.
Joe

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Thanks for the kind words. Kristen is a honey. I should be closing mid January. The new owner is very excited about the buy.

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
After searching long in hard I can tell you newer boats are more tempting , but if there not cared for, the year built is not that important. I don't know which boats your comparing and am completely ignorant to this conversation, but an older full glass boat owned by a knowledgable capt goes further in my book. If I was in the market for a fly bridge jc. Kristen would be my first choice for the buck. Just saying , my opinion only!!!!

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Just got back from a trip to SC and thought about riding over to see this one but it's sold. Anyone on here buy her?

Last edited:
Top Bottom