1997 36 Northern Bay - $92.5k

Ernie

Captain
That’ boat was the Katie B out of old Lyme ct around 2009
Beleave the boat was finished at the pilots point yard in Westbrook CT

Roccus

1st Mate
Seems like a great deal. Most of the 36’ northern bays I see have a really long focsle and cabin. I know this is finished as a cruiser but a bunch of other 36’ I’ve seen look like the house is just way too far back, is there a reason for this or is that just the way people happened to have wanted them finished off?

Sonoma

1st Mate
Seems like a deal. This would be cored hull? Trying to figure out what I’m missing here at that price…

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
16 Calvin Beal
I mean someone is going to get a great deal here. 26 years old doesn’t matter . It’s a timeless design that would cost an absurd amount to get finished like that today.

Last edited:

xbskt

Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
13 Whaler, 14 Salty Boats, 28 Crowley Beal, 36 Northern Bay. WTF!?!
I mean someone is going to get a great deal here. 26 years old doesn’t matter . It’s a timeless design that would cost an absurd amount to get finished like that today.
I certainly can attest to that. I also hope Merlin is worth a bit more than 92,500.
Some of us have to shop the thrift stores but then again IMHO new is overrated.

Sammy

Deckhand
I'll tell you what your missing at that price..... covid is over. These prices are are still high, but you've been so used to seeing outrageous prices, when you see them coming down they seem cheap. Reality setting in.

05bill

Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
I'll tell you what your missing at that price..... covid is over. These prices are are still high, but you've been so used to seeing outrageous prices, when you see them coming down they seem cheap. Reality setting in.
imo, price on the downeasters is based on condition .

xbskt

Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
13 Whaler, 14 Salty Boats, 28 Crowley Beal, 36 Northern Bay. WTF!?!
Gotta say, I was surprised when I saw it come up. Looks like a good setup for a cruiser. Survey would tell the whole story.
Looks worn and a bit tired in spots but the bones are there.
Survey is your friend but don't delay.
You won't find a cheaper floater 36 and someone will offer if they haven't already.

jweir

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
32 Holland

Hobo

Deckhand
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay
Looks worn and a bit tired in spots but the bones are there.
Survey is your friend but don't delay.
You won't find a cheaper floater 36 and someone will offer if they haven't already.
It’s listed with a broker. I have a friend up here in NE that wanted to go look at it but the day after listing 2 potential buyers looked at it. One drove down from Virginia and now they are bidding against each other driving the price up. He’s backed away.

Jonathon

1st Mate
That’ boat was the Katie B out of old Lyme ct around 2009
Beleave the boat was finished at the pilots point yard in Westbrook CT
Seems like a deal. This would be cored hull? Trying to figure out what I’m missing here at that price…
Not sure who was laying these up in 97 but does anyone know that any of these hulls were layed up with all glass - no balsa or composite? Not sure but I do not recall hearing about any NB that had solid glass hull? Anyone have any insight on this ?

Ernie

Captain
Not sure who was laying these up in 97 but does anyone know that any of these hulls were layed up with all glass - no balsa or composite? Not sure but I do not recall hearing about any NB that had solid glass hull? Anyone have any insight on this ?
Pilots point Westbrook CT finished this boat and two 36 NB they may be able to help if Reeves Potts is still around he would know

leaky

Admiral
Looks like a good way for someone to get into one of these.

Price wise, I believe some of these are balsa, with the selling price where it is my gut is that is one part of it.

We don't know the engine condition from this read here, 26 year old power can be all over the board - often isn't something that gives one the warm fuzzies to gaze upon.

Lots of woodwork - struck me as a 70's vintage styling when I first looked at the pictures :) - is a comfy looking boat, likely a really nice boat, just I bet many buyers are thinking about all the stuff they will be ripping out.

BSEA

1st Mate
The boat has the cruiser deck mold with the main bulkhead set further aft, not the lobster boat deck mold. The boat was set up as a cruiser and when it was built, it was a top notch build. Check out the electrical panel, the Herrshoff style headliner etc. The transom door was setup more for dinghy boarding not for sport fishing. Not sure what the status is of the machinery but other than the FLA UV rays having taken a toll on the brightwork the boat should have some life remaining IMO.

Top Bottom