1Hoping to buy a Rossi

stuartbell

Deckhand
First Name
Stuart
I'm looking for a Rossi. Put offers in with verbal acceptance twice and the selling party backed out. Offered a full price, cash, subject to sea trial offer with a 10% deposit and the broker would not send me a contract. Is there something religious about a Rossi that I'm not doing right.

I have previously owned a Ranger, looking for a twin 50HP outboard but will be flexible. I have cruised extensively, sailed to the US from Cape Town, SA, and hold a USCG Master's ticket and an ASA sailing teaching certificate - done dozens of deliveries and never seen owners and brokers backout of handshakes with my willingness to sing a standard contract and a cash deposit.

Its been a long week.

JWS

Deckhand
Ask the broker to confirm that they have been retained by the seller before wasting effort on trying to make a deal.

Seen/heard some weird things over the years, like a broker listing boats that they were not asked to represent for example.

Last edited:

stuartbell

Deckhand
First Name
Stuart
I spoke with the owners at length. This broker sold this boat to the owner's brother - now with medical problems and they have power of attorney.

The boat was refitted when the ill brother bought her 2 years ago. She has a new 300 hp engine, overkill for this boat that is usually fitted with a to large 150 - and is best when fitted with twin 50's.

The boat has no holding tank, but has a marine head. The thought of routinely dumping black tank waste into the marina where she will be stored is appealing to me and illegal. After speaking with the owner's, I verbally offered full price "subject to se trial" and offered to absorb the entire expense of making the boat legal by paying the broker (also a manufacturer of boats and refit shop) to install a black tank sufficient to collect all gray water as well. I offered a 10% deposit on receipt of a contract from the broker.

They, of course, approved this since they were aware of the missing holding tank issue and were also appalled at the thought of dumping black waste. The discussion with the owners was amicable.

They contacted the broker and instructed them to send me a "subject to sea trial" contract, accept the 10% deposit, and provide an estimate for the cost of the black/gray tank and any required deposit he may have to do that work.

The broker said that a black tank was unnecessary for the sea trial and "lobstermen use a bucket every day".

This, while appealing, is almost legal. Boats with no head (think canoe) are not required to have a black tank. But, boats with a marine head must follow the uSCG 48 hour rule and have a proper and approved black tank installation to operate in US waters. In some states and waters, boats must seal or lock the black tank and zero discharge.

The broker argued, did not send me an estimate for the black tank or a contract for the boat.

The owners offered to brake the contract - but that gave me a boat that had not been started in 2 years that I could not legally put in the water.

So, I'm still looking.

JWS

Deckhand
You're buying a used boat not a new boat. Sounds like the sellers don't want to engage with your requests which I understand, I wouldn't either. If you order a new boat you get to make requests like these.

There is no holding tank but the boat doesn't need one if you use it to its designed parameters- use it in discharge zones only. They don't want to waste their energy and money on adding features to a boat when as it sits is perfectly legal.

I cut out some of my post as it was out of line, my apologies

Last edited:

Top Bottom