1st Impression...the 25 T Jason with a Volvo 124 hp

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
After cleaning up the hull bottom and prop, moving the fuel tank to the stern, taking 200 + lbs of hydraulics out of the boat up front and another 100+ lbs. of lumber I splashed the 25 T Jason today.

It took a few minutes to figure out how to pure the air out of the fuel lines but the Volvo fired right up. The engine is an inline 3.9 liter 6 cyl boasting 124 hp. rated @ 3600 rpms. The trans is a 1.9:1 and turns a 18X14 4 blade prop.
The engine is mounted well forward in this boat with cylinders 1-4 forward (almost 5) of the main (cabin) bulkhead. This Volvo has 6000 + hrs.
The boat is a bit bow heavy. I think there was maybe 15 gallons of fuel in the fuel tank.

I putted around a bit to get a sense of how these little DEs manuever.

The engine ran good all the way up to 3500-3600 +-..I did not have the photo tach on board and was by myself anyway. The engine seemed most comfortable between 2800-3000 rpms. The boat actually got up on plane a bit @ 3200 but not being sure of the Volvo I ran @ 2800.
There are NO lifting rails on this hull.

I ran the boat "backwards" in reverse @ 3-4 knots for about 1/2 mile backing into the outgoing river tide and with the big rudder mounted almost under the stern this 25 WILL back up straight, left or right.
That I was surprised of. The boat turns on a dime. Takes some time to turn the wheel 4-5 turns. :(

Steering is a Seastar helm pump..I added fluid to the pump..the wheel turns 6 times "lock to lock".

There are no electronics on board and I did not have a gps speed app with me. Can't tell how fast this rig was scooting along. Definitely could use a few more hp to move it along.

Later this week I'll take the boat out on the ocean and I'll have a gps speed measuring device.

I also plan on putting 4-5 large barrels on board and fill them each with 35-40 gallons of water. That way I can "move them around" and get a sense of weight distribution in this 25 footer.

If "not in a hurry" the 124 hp does pretty good.

Later,

Bill D

btw, the fuel tank is "temporary" along with the hanging fuel lines ! :D

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

cb34

Rear Admiral

Looks like you had an awesome day, boat looks to be scooting along. No turning back now big guy:D

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Looks like you had an awesome day, boat looks to be scooting along. No turning back now big guy:D

Thanks Will,

Time will tell,,,,,,, ocean run end of this week.
Today I wanted to make sure this Volvo would hold up for a few hours in the river.
The boat is docked up @ Abbott's Marina in Haverhill.
My son had the Blackfin out on the river today as a "chase/photo taking" boat.....ready to "tow me back" to Haverhill just in case !!:D

The Volvo ran good and LOUD with no insulation !!!
I had an anchor all roped up to the bow chock with 40 feet of line.."just in case" !!

I also heard the USCG was floating around the Rte 1 bridge in Salisbury today doing quite a bit of onboard checks.

Great day for it, hot and a holiday weekend to boot !

I'll be checking traps in the morning with the Blackfin weather permitting !

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Boat looks good bill, glad to hear the shake down went well. That 6 turns BTB on the steering sounds about right at least thats what it was on my bowpicker, 5 or 6 turns but i'd never go back now after having the power steering thats on the H&H 2 turns BTB and no effort at all to steer, i only use my thumb most of the time. One thing i learned with my 41 volvo's is they don't like heat or being over propped, my volvo turned up 3950 and i cruised it at 3250-3300. You'll have a blast with that boat once you get it squared away.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Looks good except the boat needs a windshield visor.

Yes I agree, but LOTS of other stuff to get squared away on 1st.

Another comment or two from yesterday's "spin".

I had a 12 mile ride against an outgoing tide to get back to Haverhill from Amesbury.

I'm guessing I was running 10-11 mph @ 2800 rpm. Needless to say I was passed by many many boats during the ride. The channel is narrow and many boats went blasting by close.

The hull takes "side wakes" real nice. No dipping and diving like on the Blackfin.

I haven't had the boat out on the ocean yet but the 36" deep wet keel makes drifting with boat wakes very stable.

FWIW,

Bill D

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Boat looks good bill, glad to hear the shake down went well. That 6 turns BTB on the steering sounds about right at least thats what it was on my bowpicker, 5 or 6 turns but i'd never go back now after having the power steering thats on the H&H 2 turns BTB and no effort at all to steer, i only use my thumb most of the time. One thing i learned with my 41 volvo's is they don't like heat or being over propped, my volvo turned up 3950 and i cruised it at 3250-3300. You'll have a blast with that boat once you get it squared away.

If I keep the boat there's a better than even chance the "little Volvo" and it's transmission will be out of the boat and on the "used engine market" by Christmas.

cb34

Rear Admiral

We all know what's going in:D One day on the water and you have more pictures of the boat running than I have of my entire boat owning experience. Eleven boats, 39 yrs not one picture of one running:(.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
We all know what's going in:D One day on the water and you have more pictures of the boat running than I have of my entire boat owning experience. Eleven boats, 39 yrs not one picture of one running:(.

Illness, sickness, call it what you want !!!
PLUS I always have my camera with me !:D

A picture says a thousand words and we ALL learn.

Actually Will,

I've posted MORE pictures of your last two boats than you have !!

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Congrats!

Welcome to the DE boat ownership world! Enjoy her. Keep us posted on the sea trial.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
BillD- so is there a 5.9 370hp going in soon? Maybe with a V-drive and lifting rails?:D Seriously, if you end up repowering, what will you go with?

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
New boat

Bill

Nice job on the new boat. Let me know if you need anything

Top Bottom