2" Radius windows- should I cut them square to save $ on new windows?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Been working on some pricing for a new set (9) of windows for my Sisu as the glass is all crazed. Cant see when looking towards the sun lol. Corners are 2" radius and as far as I can tell, only a couple makers will do that curve. Got a price from Bomon in aluminum and another in white PVC like what was original from Ocean Dynamics.

OD quote is going to be almost $5000 with shipping (!!!) for PVC. Bomon was actually a little less in aluminum but I am not wild about the center window hardware all in plastic and the overmount hinge look. Not sure why they dont just make a full frame for that like a hatch and get it over with. Nice guys at Bomon too. Dont mean to knock them but those 3 tabs on the center window and plastic hardware just dont make me feel good about spending $4500.

Should I cut them square or enlarge all of them to have 3" radius corners (each window would have to get bigger)? Huge project either way. Could I save a bunch if the windows were square or had different corner radii?

I could have new glass made for my old frames but they are a little beat up looking and would require a ton of clean up and still wouldnt be perfect. Thinking this might be the route I have to go though. Biggest disappointment I have had with the boat really.

Little help?

image.jpg

Last edited:

Beyond Tom's

Commander
Boat Make
31 JC
I had windows made from Go Marine windows. They are now called Mark Plastics. I dont think they make 2 inch radius. They do make 3inch. Nice product. If your interested google mark plastics. They have some pics

blinsquirrel

Lieutenant Commander
Windows

What kind of shape are the old frames in? Had the same issue with the plexiglass fogging on my old sisu. The original frames were in good shape...i was very careful not to damage them when I took the plexi out....I took the frames to a local glass place and had safety glass put in. Set a good layer of butyl tape and silicone...windows worked out great for me.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
What kind of shape are the old frames in? Had the same issue with the plexiglass fogging on my old sisu. The original frames were in good shape...i was very careful not to damage them when I took the plexi out....I took the frames to a local glass place and had safety glass put in. Set a good layer of butyl tape and silicone...windows worked out great for me.

Not too bad and I think this is what I will do instead of spending $4k+ probably. I never asked either window mfgr but was hoping someone would say "yes, square corner windows are half the price" or something like that. Wishing is maybe the word I should use.

MDI- I will talk to Mark and see. Thanks very much.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Diamond Sea Glaze will also make you a 2" radius but they are expensive. When I re did my JC I spoke with Marks Plastics they were no cheaper than Diamond Sea Glaze. Changing the radius is a lot of messy work. I would stick with the 2" radius. Wynne which is well price will give you mitered corners which is also an option.

Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Diamond Sea Glaze will also make you a 2" radius but they are expensive. When I re did my JC I spoke with Marks Plastics they were no cheaper than Diamond Sea Glaze. Changing the radius is a lot of messy work. I would stick with the 2" radius. Wynne which is well price will give you mitered corners which is also an option.

Going to ask for a quote at least. Any experience with mitered corners?

Old boat had some that were 30 years old and they were fine. Heard some people say they are more prone to leaking for some reason.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Try Tony at select plastics in Norwalk CT

Had a good talk with him (great guy) and he suggested I use a rubber locking channel like this for the fixed glass windows which was a great idea but I think a bit too commercial for the way my boat is headed. Thanks for the referral.

image.jpg

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Had the same issue when looking for windows and needing 2" radius. Only a couple of people make them and both too expensive. Changing to 3" by enlarging couldn't be done in my case either couldn't go up (roof too close) couldn't go wider (pillars too narrow)

Ended up making my own and have worked great, look better too IMHO

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Brooksie, what happens to the water that ends up in the tracks? Not sure how you finished them so I might be missing some thing. I have thought about making them (I have made a few windows for houses in my past) but want to explore something store bought first. Really, 9 windows for $4000 and change is not so bad considering what goes into them. I would charge more if I made them for someone with wood frames...

Gurryman, you are correct and it would look fine but the windows are big already. Was hoping someone would have a sense of what the cost savings might be in this scenario. I will talk to Wynne about the 3" option. The aft side windows are 48" wide and 26" tall already though (huge).

Not sure if I would rather cut the corners square or make them 3" radius. Square would be less work but I have heard bad things about them around here for some reason. Any bad experiences anyone?

Roy-c

Commander
I have had 3 sets of windows made by Wynne and have not had any problems. Two of them had 3" radius corners and one had mitered corners. I had no problems with the mitered corner windows and they were both fixed and opening sliders. I still own 2 of the boats 1 with mitered and 1 with radiused. If you want to take a look they are in Boston send me a pm.

Roy-c

Commander
Almost forgot. Had a set of the rubber gasketed windows and the best that I can say about them is don't waste your money on them. The rubber shrinks over time and they are prone to leakage.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Brooksie, what happens to the water that ends up in the tracks? Not sure how you finished them so I might be missing some thing. I have thought about making them (I have made a few windows for houses in my past) but want to explore something store bought first. Really, 9 windows for $4000 and change is not so bad considering what goes into them. I would charge more if I made them for someone with wood frames...

I guess I don't have any pictures of the finished project all trimmed up inside with 1x4 along the top and bottom and 1x3 between. The water goes out 3-5/8" drain holes on each cabin side from the rear corners of the track. The lower & side trim is caulked right on to the track & ledge w/ silicone, the top trim & track is removable so the glass can be replaced. It has been this way since I finished the cabin in '75. I redid it once to get rid of the original fuzzy lined stainless track which was no good.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
I like the square look really and the 2" radius is so small that the change wouldn't make much of a difference in appearance- think its just what I am used to. Waiting to hear from Wynne. Thanks

Bawugna

Lieutenant
Not such a bad job...

I replaced the windows on my 25 Northsider about 10 years ago. I had the original Plexiglass windows with plastic frames the boat was MFG with. I used Wynne and had to cut for the radius difference. I had enough room to make the cuts both above/below and front/back. The cuts were not all that difficult to make and I controlled dust and dirt in the boat by taping a plastic sheet to the interior to catch the mess. I did this outside in the elements. As for leakage, the only point on the windows where water finds its way in is at the joints where the rubber gasketing does not meet and is siliconed together. I have simply re-siliconed those joints and it is all good. They are easy to install and are reasonably priced and look great. They seem pretty heavily built and have a tough feel to them. I have 2 sliders and 4 stationary.

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
Try an RV supplier. Years ago Fleetwood Motorhomes had a plant here in town. A store opened selling all their surplus stuff, windows, doors, appliances etc. My dad and I completely rebuilt a 30' houseboat with doors/windows (radius corners) for dirt cheap from the surplus store which is now out of business. I know there is a place in Sacto that sells surplus RV parts and I'm looking for some windows to replace those in my AK gillnetter. Might give it a try.....

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
So I am down to looking at 2 companies.

Mark Plastics who makes the original style PVC frames and interior trim rings but will now make the windows with 1/4" glass instead of acrylic.

Another company in Vancouver called Motion Window and they make a great looking mitered window that is all welded and would be white powdercoat over clear anodized aluminum- all aluminum hardware too. Product looks great and all metal latches etc.. Think I will go with this because the PVC just looks cheap inside to me and their windows have a welded, mitered powder coated alum frame with screens on operating windows.

Wynne hasnt responded to the 2 emails I sent. Bomon was big bux and I really dont like the plastic latches and hinge details/look on their hatch style window.

I went and checked out the boat today and the 3" radius windows would be too much work- I have width to spare on some and height on others so would end up cutting all kinds of different combinations to make the windows work and dont think it would look so great. The mitered corners are going to be "easy" considering the house is just 1/4" solid glass so I am feeling good. Not so wild about powder coated products but I think any issues would be in 10 years or something and I will have enjoyed them for a while so that is far enough away at this point.

Top Bottom