2"x2" mesh Sea Bass pots????

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Anyone ever fish any sea bass or scup pots made from 2"x2" mesh?? I have a handle on some cheap 2x2 mesh and am thinking about building some sea bass pots with it. I have had good luck with sea bass pots made from 1.5x1.5. It would seem to me that the 2"x2" would catch just as well as the 1.5"x1.5" mesh. With either, the fish will not be escaping, except for the choggies and babies. But, before I make the purchase and putting the effort and money into it, I just want to try to get some input from other fishermen who may have some experience with the matter. Thanks , hope to hear from you guys.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
cheap wire = trap that doesn't last very long :rolleyes:. Just look what happened with the traps built out of that chinese wire that was around a few years ago.

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
Chinese wire is still around and is actually stronger then the junk
Aquamesh is putting out

Chinese wire is ok if your not keeping them more than two or three years, it's made out of recycled material we shipped to them as junk. It does run a little larger diameter but has a lower tensile strength then aquamesh and the welds tend to pull apart easier. I've replaced 800 with Chinese wire over the last three years with aquamesh.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Support an American company.We all bought Chinese 7 or 8 years ago and learned the hard way.Luckily Aquamesh didn't go down from the lack of support like a lot of other US companies did,or we would have no other choice.

33youngbrothers

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
33' YB
I'm not seeing that with the aquamesh i've been building with.

The wire bends when tying the heads tight, and all the vinyl has been wearing off on the first two rows in the parlor.

The chinese wire I have hasn't had this problem, but when the vinyl wears off on the outside its time to trade them in.

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
The wire bends when tying the heads tight, and all the vinyl has been wearing off on the first two rows in the parlor.

The chinese wire I have hasn't had this problem, but when the vinyl wears off on the outside its time to trade them in.

I agree the Chinese vinyl is not as soft as aquamesh, if you could get that vinyl on riverdale wire you would have a good product, but that wouldn't be good for sales. They call it job security.

Top Bottom