20' Crowley

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
Looks like it could be a nice little boat but that engine box in the stern & outdrive are big negatives in my mind.

FVSD

Lieutenant Commander
I've seen this boat close up and it's one of the nicest CC Downeast boats around.......except the I/O part. If you've never owned and I/O on the ocean you can't appreciate cost and frustration.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
my 1st boat was a neat 25 hardtop Bertram Moppie...1968 I recall.

Had twin merc 3.0 4 banger IOs.

Nice 1st boat EXCEPT for everything aft of the stern,,,friggin outdrives
cost me $$thousands$$ over the course of a season or two

restless

Rear Admiral
Does any one know if they built any of these with inboard power?

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
I've seen this boat close up and it's one of the nicest CC Downeast boats around.......except the I/O part. If you've never owned and I/O on the ocean you can't appreciate cost and frustration.

I almost did, a 21' Tiara Pursuit I/O and to this day, I kind of regret it but if what your saying is half true then I have no regrets!

What happens the salt eats the crap out of them? Like the bellows and risers and outdrives etc?

FVSD

Lieutenant Commander
I almost did, a 21' Tiara Pursuit I/O and to this day, I kind of regret it but if what your saying is half true then I have no regrets!

What happens the salt eats the crap out of them? Like the bellows and risers and outdrives etc?

Bellows, bearings, couplers, risers, manifolds, distributor, oil pans, pulleys etc.. etc...etc...etc... Many people make the mistake of thinking because a I/O boat has low hours then it should be fine......big mistake. Your much much better off buying a boat in good shape with a low hour four stroke outboard (s) or diesel and just making the payments. In the end the cost will be the same but you won't be constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop. You'll probably also have a boat worth something when you pay it off. I had a 300 hr 7.4L MPI bravo 1 powered boat I bought for $15K cash and thought it was a steal...4 years and $20K (just motor/I/O work) later I had a boat worth about $13K.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I am no mechanic, but have observed quite a few out drive owners lay out a lot of money on their always troublesome out drives
I think out drive boats are supposed to live on a trailer. Way too much crap to get covered in barnacles like they do here.

Last edited:

Splinters

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Egg Harbor
I have a 1971 S22 North American. It has 912 pleasure boat hours on the original 302 MerCruiser and outdrive. I have replaced manifolds, risers, and starter, thermostat housing and other inboard marine related parts over the years.
On the outdrive I have replaced gimball bearing, bellows, and annually changed the lower unit oil and water pump.
I too was very concerned with an I/O set up and still am. But I have owned this boat for 15 years and after 400 hours of running I can't complain. The engine is RWC and I flush it after each run. But it does stay on a trailer. The gimball bearing was just replaced this past summer. And that was the 1971 original. We run in The Chesapeake Bay and in the ocean. All salt water ops.
I too shy away from I/Os which is a shame. There are some fantastic hulls out there with I/Os that I wish were inboards. The Bertram 25 is a great hull as is Limestones, Blackwatch, and so many others.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
As much as i hate outdrives i will say that after learning how the run the one in my bowpicker i had 11,000 hours on the last drive in the boat, it outlasted 2 41 diesels. I think the biggest secret to making it last was to go very easy on the throttle when getting up on step, always idling when shifting gears and NEVER running on step with a load of fish in the boat. I had something called a "unit saver" on the drive (the stainless tube going into the transom) it was a reservoir on the inside of the engine room that let you see the level and color of the drive oil so if you had a leak it would show the lower level of the drive oil or a change of color if you were getting water into the oil. I always left the cover off the drive so if i busted the control cable i could reach the shift lever to go in/out of gear.
outdrive.jpg

outdrive.jpg

Last edited:

Splinters

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Egg Harbor
That is incredible!! I know the Volvo drives are bullet proof. But Wow! 11,000 hours.

Top Bottom