2004 Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by Sabre and Sound, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Sabre and Sound

Sabre and Sound New Member

Boat Make:
    Looking for my first vessel
    Hi All,

Newbie here and mostly a sailor so far in my boating career. I live in an area great for cruising but not great for wind. I am considering moving to a Sabre 42 Hardtop express. Would be great to get some thoughts on the boat! I am new to Sabres (and power boating) and don't have a ton of boating experience overall. Seems like the SAbre 42 is a great reliable boat. Looking at Yanmar or Cummins motors.

Please share your thoughts and help me think through the right things to check/ask in purchasing one of these boats. I am in love with them so far based on everything I am reading!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  2. Tuna Pursuit

Tuna Pursuit Captain

Self Employeed
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Thunnus
    Great production boat but not really a DE. I have a twin diesel boat and am looking to get into a single diesel DE. The sabre is a full planning hull a DE is a semi displacement, big difference

3. chortle

chortle Captain

retired
    Boat Make:
    Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
    They are great boats, excellent build quality and the noise and vibration levels will be very low compared to most boats. This forum is more focused on classic downeast boats with a single engine and a keel hung rudder but there are a few converts that may chime in. You can get some good insight into a specific boat by contacting Sabres customer service group, have a hull id number handy. They test and publish dB levels in their literature. Good luck with you purchase.

4. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Glen Chaplin is the guy to contact at Sabre- gchaplin@sabreyachts.com

I have an old 36’ Sabre and have loved it for all the reasons stated above including its DE inspired good looks. Having owned a DE before though I am hoping to get back to a single screw in the long run but mostly because I do the maintenance on the mechanicals myself and 2 engines is twice the work :).

I would check around the area where the boat would be kept to be sure there is quality service for the engines that are in the particular boat you before buying (post your location and ask about qualified Cummins/Yanmar service here- people are all over and will chime in) and have the engines surveyed by a mechanic who comes well recommended (again ask around here) and expect that boat to treat you right.

They are complicated machines though so plan to be proactive with maintenance and the boat should be reliable. Put off maintenance and your summer of boating will be shorter/frustrating! Most of all, I suggest you use it a couple times a week- run it at planing speed each time for a while, run the generator with a good load on it every time you use the boat and this will help keep it all alive and working.

5. TCL

TCL Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
    I'm not sure what is available on the previously enjoyed 42' market, but I would definitely want a bow thruster and ideally a stern thruster too.

TCL,
  6. Tuna Pursuit

Tuna Pursuit Captain

Self Employeed
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Thunnus
    Honestly with a twin diesel boat you don't need either. If he ends up with a single full keel it would be nice

7. Sabre and Sound

Boat Make:
    Hi All,

Thank you for your responses so far. I now understand that Sabres have a downeast look, but not some of the traditional qualities (single engine, etc). I am still really grateful for everyone here and your input. I also had a great call with Diesel Jerry. God bless him, as he knows his stuff!! Thank you, Jerry.

I live in the Seattle area, so if anyone else is out here and knows good mechanics, let me know. There are only a few of the Sabres on the west coast, but I am looking for one with Yanmar or Cummins. I am staying away from Caterpillar Marine Diesel, as I have heard horrible things.

I would love to get a newer boat with Pods, but I don't want to spend as much as required to get a newer boat, since this is my first power boat (have only sailed to this point). The boats I am looking at have bow thrusters, but no stern thruster. They also all seem to have the mechanical controls (two sets of twin knobs). I have heard these are harder to operate, so I'm a little concerned about docking a 42 boat with these controls.

I am really excited about these boats and this community! Thank you.

8. Tuna Pursuit

Tuna Pursuit Captain

Self Employeed
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Thunnus
    The twin cable controls are no problem at all. If needed throw a set of new high end cables and they will be smooth as silk. Two guys in this thread said they want to go from a twin engine to a single DE(I'm one), keep in mind there is a reason for that. The semi displacement hull could be the best of all world's.

9. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    C1B164BD-1E66-45D6-8F24-DB88D6C8FC38.png FE437D23-01C9-4FAC-9CCC-4A5DFBA848C5.png
    What he is saying about the controls is he would rather have the ones shown bottom picture even the mechanical version rather than the ones in the top picture. I would agree that the bottom (mech or electronic) are much easier to operate.
    I actually converted an old Chris Craft from dual single action controls to single dual action controls and the owner enjoyed it very much and had much more confidence coming in and out of his slip.

10. Tuna Pursuit

Tuna Pursuit Captain

Self Employeed
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Thunnus
    I think that's what he is saying, I have no problem with the two sets, one for gears one for throttles becuase there is so much torque with diesels I only use the gear shifts docking and I'm 2:1, take a 1-1/2:1 and your kicking a twin diesel around like a pro!!!!

11. Sabre and Sound

Boat Make:
    So you're basically saying don't worry about the docking? I'm sure I'll get comfortable with it eventually. I am just nervous about going to a 42' boat. Seems like it's a LOT to handle at 30,000lbs.

12. djmarchand

djmarchand Captain

Retired engineer
    Boat Make:
    Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
    Go to Trawlerforum.com and sign up. It is a great group for your interests. Then post your questions about the Sabre 42. There is a long standing member, Moonstruck who owns a Sabre 42 and can tell you all about them. He loves his, BTW.

David

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  13. Tuna Pursuit

Tuna Pursuit Captain

Self Employeed
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Thunnus
    Yes don't worry, it's easy. If your coming out of a sail boat piece of cake.

14. Tuna Pursuit

Tuna Pursuit Captain

Self Employeed
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Thunnus
    Your effected more by the wind then the current so pay attention to what the wind is doing to you in close quarters and use the to your advantage

15. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Your welcome. I like helping people. Keep me in the loop, and I can help you track down resources in your area and where ever the boat your buying is.

16. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    @ Sabre & Sound, with few exceptions, the bigger the powerboat, the easier it is to handle, really. And twin engines add maneuverability, so don’t be intimidated.

I’ve just been cruising Maine’s coast for 2 weeks and seen quite a few Sabre expresses. If there was one thing I could caution those owners, it would be that they throw a much bigger wake than they realize. 50ft between you & the next guy is nothing when a 3ft. wall of green water goes their way.

Lastly, I have a lot of experience with Sabre’s 43 and I’ll echo Toolate’s comment that they are complicated machines - LOTS of systems, well thought-out, but in a marine environment you have to be proactive in preventative maintenance.

17. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    My 36 has no bow thruster and the wheels are all the way aft and it doesnt take much of a cross wind to really push the bow way off to the side so no its not absolutely necessary but it would really make a huge difference in ease of handling. My DE was amazing how it would just sit beam to the wind because the keel was holding it fast. It’s 20 yrs old and hasn’t sunk so obv not essential just a convenience.

18. ARC

ARC Senior Member

Hydraulic service
    Boat Make:
    31’ eastern Casco Bay
    My friend went from a Sabre 34’ to a back cove 37’ single. Now he’s happy. The 34’ was not difficult to work on. It was impossible

ARC,
  19. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    Engine access in the Back Cove’s is unreal. Literally unbelievably good.

20. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

The bigger Sabre’s are laid out pretty good. A lot better than most in its class.