200hp Yamaha 4 stroke

bglhooked

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Mako, sold the Seaway, want a 30 Calvin Beal
Boat is on a trailer. When I change the oil I need to run the motor. Should I run it on a set of muffs or screw the water hose into the rinse adapter?

Field Tester

Commander
Website
www.fieldtester.net
Never run this motor on just the rinse adapter. You will cook your water pump. You can try running on just the muffs but sometimes it's not enough water and it will start to overheat. Get a splitter and a piece of hose so you can have both the muffs and the flush out going at the same time.

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
Do not run on Flush port, its for flushing only
Get 2 sided muffs, hose port will be in back and get water evenly to each muff.
the lower water intake plates need to be in water or taped off.
get big plastic tub to sit the lower plates in and use the muffs too.
or, place tape over the lower water intakes while using the muffs on the upper intakes to reduce the lower water intakes sucking air.

BunkerMan

Commander
Put ur whole lower into a garbage pail that has been cleaned out and fill with water. Run till warm and dump old oil. Then refill and run till warm to insure oil has run thru engine

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Always use the ear muffs as has been said.

But you don't need to run that engine to change the motor oil- the oil for this motor is nowhere near as think as on a diesel.

Look up the manual online and you'll see that the starboard side of the shaft (for lack of a better term- it's the section between the motor and cavitation plate) is just a plastic cover and will pop off after removing 4-5 Allen head screws. There you will find the drain plug. I drain the oil from here every year without running the motor no problem. Turn the motor over to starboard a little bit so the drain hole is pointing down, have a bucket ready and watch it pour.

Bonus points- on my F200 (same vintage as yours) the oil filter is mounted horizontally- before draining the oil, tilt the motor all the way down, if you have enough ground clearance this will tilt the oil filter upside down just enough to drain, making the change out a much cleaner process (take 3 guesses how I figured that out).

Sailorgp

Captain
Boat Make
Sisu 26
it is important to run an engine after you change the oil in the fall. Running the engine will circulate fresh clean oil onto the bearing surfaces which is important. Dirty engine oil contains small amounts sulfuric acid (by product of combustion) that can eat away at bearing surfaces. I saw this phenomena on an airplane engine and it can be nasty.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.
Last edited:

bglhooked

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Location is terrible. You would think with all the technology in these motors the oil filter would be easy to change. I was able to change it with only a small amount getting away from me. Ran it in a barrel then changed everything, engine and lower unit oil.

I need a single diesel inboard! If those are even simple anymore..

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

bglhooked

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
I used the cardboard trick as well. Works good