2011 Yanmar 6LPA-STP 315 with 1100 Hrs

Kailua Kid

Captain
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Hello fellow boaters. I have been boating for about 65 years. I am considering a Atlas Acadia with a 2011 Yanmar 6LPA-STP 315 with 1100 hrs. I am not familiar with Yanmar and would like your advice on this engine.
Yanmar makes some very reliable engines. Some of the members on this forum will weigh in with specifics, but meanwhile I believe it is accurate to say that the 6LP is a higher reving engine than some other diesels in that class, with a shorter stroke to keep piston speed / travel down (counterintuitively). If maintained properly, including oil and filter changes at Yanmar-recommended intervals, valve lash adjustment at recommended intervals, timing belt and tensioner also at recommended intervals, etc., and if propped correctly so that the engine can turn up under load to it’s rated speed, it is likely to last several thousand hours.

I have a predecessor engine in my General Marine 26, a 2000 Yanmar 6LP DTE (250 hp) that I run 22 nautical miles five days a week at around 3200- 3300 RPM. I have been doing that run for about two years without a hiccup. Fuel efficiency is pretty good, possibly a little better than what Yanmar publishes. I think (but do not know for sure) that the 250 and the 315 share the same block, crank, pistons, etc., but that the 315 has a twin-cam setup with four valves per cylinder, providing more power and better fuel efficiency than the single cam, two valves per cylinder head on the old 250. If I ever repower, I will be looking at doing so with a 315. I understand the block was used in the diesel Toyota Landcruisers for many years and proved itself quite robust.

Hope this helps and that I am not too far off the mark. I trust others will provide more useful and accurate information, which also can be found on boatdiesel.com.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
6LP is a good engine. Timing chain and valve guides being the only issues that come to mind. The valve guide thing apparently is mostly resolved to my understanding, handled under service warrantee. Boatdiesel will have the details on that, along with the timing chain replacement interval. Toyota block, marinized.

do they have twin cams? I thought they were pushrod engines with bridges, I could be wrong.

Amelia Man

Lieutenant
Atlantic ocean between LBI,NJ and Amelia Island FL
First Name
Jay
Yanmar makes some very reliable engines. Some of the members on this forum will weigh in with specifics, but meanwhile I believe it is accurate to say that the 6LP is a higher reving engine than some other diesels in that class, with a shorter stroke to keep piston speed / travel down (counterintuitively). If maintained properly, including oil and filter changes at Yanmar-recommended intervals, valve lash adjustment at recommended intervals, timing belt and tensioner also at recommended intervals, etc., and if propped correctly so that the engine can turn up under load to it’s rated speed, it is likely to last several thousand hours.

I have a predecessor engine in my General Marine 26, a 2000 Yanmar 6LP DTE (250 hp) that I run 22 nautical miles five days a week at around 3200- 3300 RPM. I have been doing that run for about two years without a hiccup. Fuel efficiency is pretty good, possibly a little better than what Yanmar publishes. I think (but do not know for sure) that the 250 and the 315 share the same block, crank, pistons, etc., but that the 315 has a twin-cam setup with four valves per cylinder, providing more power and better fuel efficiency than the single cam, two valves per cylinder head on the old 250. If I ever repower, I will be looking at doing so with a 315. I understand the block was used in the diesel Toyota Landcruisers for many years and proved itself quite robust.

Hope this helps and that I am not too far off the mark. I trust others will provide more useful and accurate information, which also can be found on boatdiesel.com.
Thank you very much. You have eased some of my concerns. I will be checking the maintenance records.

Amelia Man

johnp

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 2007 6LPA that I have had for 5 years and put on 500 hours. It has run perfectly so far but is well maintained. Check that the coolant has been serviced regularly every 2 years, probably best with Yanmar coolant. Timing belt at 1000 hours. Valve issue was in these engines around 2004, not in your year. Raw water pumps are an issue in that they last about 2 years, check for water or oil leaks from the pump. Check that the exhaust system has been designed to prevent water backing up into the Turbo. WOT should be 3900 RPM. PM me if you have further questions.

F/V KRISTA MARIE

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
General Marine 26
Fantastic engine. The raw water pump is sensitive to back pressure. If you clean your fuel cooler, aftercooler, gear cooler, and heat exchanger every three years the pump will not leak. Obviously need to replace the impeller as needed. Many of the parts for the engine can be bought from Toyota for a fraction of what Yanmar wants.

Reelman955

Commander
First Name
Roy
Boat Make
New Boat 2015 24 Seaway w/115 Mercury Command Thrust/ Old Boat-2007 28 Seaworthy/BHM 315 Yanmar
I had a 2007 6LPA-STP2 315 in a 28 Seaworthy/BHM. Engine ran flawlessly for me. Oil change every 100 hours/filter, timing belt/tensioner every 1000, fuel filters every 100 hours, heat exchange. oil cooler, fuel cooler after cooler removed and chemically cleaned will keep her running cool. throw a new set of hoses on her and give the turbo a cleaning. I bought the boat with about 1000 hours and put close to 1500 more on her over 7 seasons. DEBF member Mako69 now owns it. Im sure he would answer any questions you have. Very fuel efficient. I think mine was 3850 rpm pinned.

Top Bottom