2012 yamaha f150 outboard tach/warning buzz

Renko

Ensign
Got a new eastern 24 explorer last summer, perfect boat for us...

This weekend ran out to regular spot with the family and anchored for a few hours. When we got ready to head back, i turned the key, and got a warning buzzer. The oil light and water temp light were not on (they do come on when i turn the key, but go out when i start the motor), AND the tachometer would not read any rpm - the buzzer sounds even when the engine is running. I stopped the motor and checked my oil, water/fuel separators (one before the engine, one under the cowl) and my stream from the engine itself. Idled the motor for 15 mins and the heads were warm, but not overly so - i could leave my hand on them. Decided to head back to the dock, about 1/2 hour trip, at low speed. The engine was running fine, not running rough or down to two cylinders...

SO, the question is what could possibly cause this? I checked the fuel and there is no water present, the fuel filter under the cowl appears to be fine - the float moves freely, and the buzzer still stays on, even when the filter wire is disconnected. Lastly, there is a single pink wire with a red stripe that is disconnected under the dash, but no clear spot where it should be plugged in. Could the buzzer be caused by tach problem?

Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions would be great! thanks

Normally would just take to service, but figured i would give the board a shot ahead of time.

loose wire.jpg

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
20 hr service buzzer/light went on in my new Suzuki 4 stroke soon after I bought it. I checked the manual and it was a 20 hr service reminder for an oil change. Mechanic told me that all new motors will have small bits of metal during initial break in. Have you had this done yet?

Renko

Ensign
I had the 10 hr and 50 hour done, and going through the manual i cant find a buzz feature for scheduled maintenance...

pugsley

Captain
i think the pink/red wire is for a trim guage, or something like that

Flytmech

Ensign
Same Issue!!

Hello,

Did you ever find out what was causing this issue? Believe it or not I am having the same exact issue on my F150.

Thanks for any help.

icemang

Captain
cut-and-paste from the hull truth but a place to start at least. The guy who started the thread had warm water coming out the pee hole too so that part is addressing that concern. The mud daubers and B.A.S. are much more common than you'd think btw.

"...there are only 3 alarms:Overheat, Oil Pressure, Water in fuel. Water in fuel only sounds in neutral. So two alarms.

You say the water coming out is warm, my bet is that you're having restricted water flow and thus the warm water and alarm when under load. Check to see that a mud dauber didn't build a nest in the intake or a that B.A.S. (big ass spider) didn't crawl up in there and die and thus restrict water flow.

Beyond that you're on your own, could be a water pump issue, or if it's oil pressure, oil pump, or damn near anything. But rule out the easy and obvious first, check your oil and make sure nothing's blocking your cold water intake."

Flytmech

Ensign
A road long Traveled>>>

Dude,

Lemme give it to you a simple as possible.

I can go out in the first light hours of the morning, turn on the key with the lanyard installed and the almighty blaring ALARM will sound. No start up attempted!! So cool engine and oil pressure not even a factor. No water in fuel and sensor verified to work correctly.

I have tested everything the Service Manual calls out for the alarms signal. All are within the prescribed parameters. Even tested all wiring!!
No Water in Fuel Either!!

The reason I asked here is that the exact same symptom was being reported and since the owner has apparently been operating his boat. I am curious to know what fixed his alarm issue.

Thanks for the heads up, and the points to look out for, they were meticulously checked.

Hopefully I will get to See/Hear what fixed Renko's boat!!

Cheers!!

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

Renko

Ensign
Took it to the shop, ran diagnostics... water in fuel. Having said that, we checked the filters (there was no water) and drained/filled the tank. Buzzer and never came back... service since then has been AOK with no issues.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I have to say this sounds really strange. Water has to get past both filters to get into the engine. On a one year old engine? Maybe this is another one of those things Yamaha won't own up to.

Top Bottom