2013 black sea bass recreational season

Fishnsgr8

Ensign
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:09:22 PM
Subject: 2013 Massachusetts Recreational Black Sea Bass, Fluke, and Scup Limits Approved by ASMFC
Auto forwarded by a Rule
April 10, 2013
MarineFisheriesAdvisory

2013 MASSACHUSETTS RECREATIONAL BLACK SEA BASS, FLUKE, AND SCUP LIMITS APPROVED BY ASMFC

Massachusetts’ 2013 recreational fishing regulations for black sea bass, fluke, and scup have been approved by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC). Due to the late timing of this approval, the Division of Marine Fisheries (MarineFisheries), with the consent of the Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission, is in the process of implementing these regulations on an emergency basis – final action is pending.

Black Sea Bass
In February, the ASMFC approved an addendum to the interstate fishery management plan that allows the states from Massachusetts through New York to adjust their 2013 recreational black sea bass limits on a regional or state-by-state basis. As Massachusetts is unique in that its fishery is most active in the late spring and early summer months, MarineFisheries moved to address its black sea bass limits unilaterally.

Each state in the region must implement regulations to reduce its recreational black sea bass harvest by 32% compared to 2012. This is because the fishery’s estimated coastwide harvest of 2.99 million pounds in 2012 exceeds the 2013 harvest limit (2.26 million pounds). Nearly 1.1 million pounds of the coastwide 2012 harvest is attributable to Massachusetts.

According to recreational fishery statistics, 72% of Massachusetts 2012 recreational black sea bass fishery occurred during May and June. To accommodate a 32% reduction, MarineFisheries either had to substantially limit fishing opportunities during this time period or make substantial reductions to the per angler bag limit throughout the entire fishing season. MarineFisheries is aware that the late spring and early summer is critical to the recreational fishery and opted to reduce bag limits rather than the season. However, while drafting this proposal, it came to our attention that a certain segment of the for-hire industry would be severely disadvantaged by low bag limits. Accordingly, MarineFisheries developed an alternative fishery proposal for interested for-hire operators that would exempt them from lower bag limits provided they adhere to additional closed periods that are estimated to reduce their harvest by 32%. The ASMFC has approved our implementing one set of regulations for both the private angler and for-hire fisheries, while allowing interested for-hire operators to opt into the alternative (closed season) regulations.

For 2013 the following recreational limits will apply for black seas bass:

Mode

Season

Bag Limit

Minimum Size

Private Angler

May 11 – October 31

3 fish

14 inches

For-Hire

May 11 – October 31

3 fish

14 inches

Closed Season For-Hire (LOA required*)

May 11 – June 14

10 fish

14 inches

July 1 – August 11

20 fish

14 inches

September 1 – October 10

20 fish

14 inches

* To participate in the Closed Season For-Hire Black Sea Bass Fishery, permit holders must apply for a Letter of Authorization (LOA) from MarineFisheries by no later than May 1, 2013. Click this link to see the conditions that will apply and to request an LOA.

Fluke
The ASMFC manages fluke on a state-by-state basis. For 2013, Massachusetts’ recreational harvest target for fluke was reduced by 10% to 137,307 fish. Nonetheless, Massachusetts may liberalize its regulations because our estimated 2012 harvest (77,375 fish) is below the 2013 harvest target. Based on past comment from recreational fishermen, MarineFisheries proposed, and the ASMFC approved, reducing the minimum size from 16.5 inches to 16 inches.

For 2013 the following recreational limits will apply for fluke:

Mode

Season

Bag Limit

Minimum Size

Private Angler

May 22 – September 30

5 fish

16 inches

For-Hire

May 22 – September 30

5 fish

16 inches

Scup
The ASMFC manages scup on a regional basis, with the states from Massachusetts through New York composing one region. In 2013, the region’s recreational harvest target was reduced by roughly 200,000 fish to 6.78 million fish. However, similar to fluke, recreational fishing limits throughout the region may be liberalized because the region’s estimated 2012 harvest (3.37 million fish) is below the 2013 target. In response, the region developed, and the ASMFC approved, an approach that would increase the recreational bag limits for private anglers and anglers on for-hire vessels from 20 to 30 fish and decrease the minimum size to 10 inches. In addition, the period when anglers on a for-hire vessel may possess 45 fish was extended by just over two weeks to cover all of May and June.

For 2013, the following recreational limits will apply for scup:

Mode

Season

Bag Limit

Minimum Size

Private Angler

May 1 – December 31

30 fish (150 fish vessel maximum)

10 inches

For-Hire Bonus

May 1 – June 30

45 fish

10 inches

For-Hire Regular

July 1 – December 31

30 fish

10 inches

A subsequent public hearing and comment period will be announced at a later date. For further information, contact MarineFisheries at 617-626-1520 or visit our website at Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries.

PRETTY COMPLICATED. A HUGE JIP FOR THE PRIVATE SHORE OR BOAT ANGLER. CALL DMF BEFORE PUBLIC COMMENT IS ACCEPTED AND SUBMIT PUBLIC COMMENT. I WILL UPDATE THIS THREAD TO MAKE SURE YOU ALL KNOW WHEN TO SUBMIT COMMENT AND I WILL POST THE PUBLIC MEETING DATES AND LOCATIONS. PRIVATE REC ANGLERS NEED TO UNITE AND SPEAK.

THE COMMERCIAL GUYS GOT SCREWED TOO AND I FEEL FOR THEM, ALL 1700 HOOK AND LINERS. BOY, TALK ABOUT MISMANAGING A FISHERY.

greg

Captain
That closed season fishery is interesting. It seems to be mass only though.

Wonder how they got that one through the council (sarcasm intended).

Still, if RI did it I might apply.

captcod

Lieutenant
3 fish for the private angler.....now that sucks
that is just ridiculous, i could see 5 or 7 but this is just not enough to wet a line for

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
3 fish for the private angler.....now that sucks
that is just ridiculous, i could see 5 or 7 but this is just not enough to wet a line for

I'd like to see ya catch a 14" black bass up this side,, I occasionally see 5 to 8 inch fish in the traps but never even close to 10 inches,,

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I like this part....

>>>>"Closed Season For-Hire (LOA required*)

May 11 – June 14

10 fish

14 inches

July 1 – August 11

20 fish

14 inches

September 1 – October 10

20 fish

14 inches"""

So closed season isn't really a closed season???

Let me guess.. is there a fee the state collects ??? I really don't know but it wouldn't surprise me !

So the fishing management might be about collecting money for the state?

Don't tell me it is possible its all about collecting money and some drummed up occupational favor career and really nothing to do with fishing.:eek::eek::eek:

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I'd like to see ya catch a 14" black bass up this side,, I occasionally see 5 to 8 inch fish in the traps but never even close to 10 inches,,

The size limits for sea bass down here- 12 or 12.5 inches are also ridiculous. The number of fish that get culled to get a "limit", which is FIVE a person south of Cape Hatteras is staggering. And in 35 fathoms, where you can find enough legal keepers there is a high mortality for released fish. We are encouraged to vent the fish, but I think it would be better just to keep them from 10 or 11 inches up. You could keep 10 or 15 fish and there would still be more spawners and less waste if we didn't have these ridiculous size limits. Of course the low bag limits are just a way for NMFS to discourage anglers from targeting bass to begin with. Then there's the fact that the "best available science" they use to calculate these size and bag limits is often complete horseshit. South of Cape Hatteras last year we got three months to catch Black Sea Bass. All in the heat of the summer when keepers were in relatively deep water, hence the release mortality issue. Between the draconian sea bass and snowy grouper regs and a long closed season on snappers, NMFS has basically taken away our spring and fall bottom fishing business here.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I cant get access to it right now but the requirements they put on us to get that LOA is the start of a slippery slope. Requiring a little more responsibility to maintaining our clients catch, aka if one fish is under can lose the permit. Granted with the less fish isnt as bad, but what do you do when you measure 45 scup x 6 people, have to be there to measure everyone without a mate on my boat? Granted its only for Seabass right now but its the start of a slope...

greg

Captain
I cant get access to it right now but the requirements they put on us to get that LOA is the start of a slippery slope. Requiring a little more responsibility to maintaining our clients catch, aka if one fish is under can lose the permit. Granted with the less fish isnt as bad, but what do you do when you measure 45 scup x 6 people, have to be there to measure everyone without a mate on my boat? Granted its only for Seabass right now but its the start of a slope...

That was no doubt part of the "give" the industry guys had to pony up to get the deal done. For years, the party boat skippers have squealed that it is impossible to check 50 people with their own coolers. They call themselves bus drivers and claim no responsibility for monitoring even flagrant violations (like keeping an entire cooler full of fish out of season).

6 packs should have an easier time. You keep a central cooler. Tag each fares fish with a marked string line, and put each fish in yourself. You can't fish under the rules, so handling fish is manageable.

Quite frankly, if you are based in MASS you would be silly to not apply for this permit as a charter operator. Even though the season is closed a couple of weeks a month, the draw is clear to fisherman who want more than 3 fish. 15 fish is a good haul.

Advertise trips with a 15 sea bass limit and you will likely sell out quite a few. Remember to apply by 5/1.

It sucks for everyone else though.

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
I've got no problem with the requirement to measure fish. We all know who the dickheads are that let their customers keep shorts, and have no problem with them getting their arses written up. This crap takes away from the honest captains, so they can pay the price if they want to run their business that way. The whole "I can't keep track" is b.s. - everyone knows or should know what's happening on their vessel.

And they just changed the waiver form again, if you filled it out already, you must send in the new one.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I'm not so worried about the seabass measurement but with scup moving to measure 45x6 is taking on a whole new measure. Running the boat myself, being honest, cutting bait, tying on new rigs, checking the sounder and thinking about your next move or shit the 5 minutes in the head, you can miss some for sure.

I'm worried this is just the next slippery slope, its not like checking a bass that comes over one at a time in a sense. I already put three rulers out to everyone. Try to touch peoples fish when they come onboard and keep them in a common pool aint gonig to fly. Some people take great care of their fish, some let them bake out in the sun all day, gotto love it.

Now if I could only find a high school kid that wanted to work for $60 bucks a day like I did... That would solve this problem.

Ha, love the change in the waiver form...

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
I'm not so worried about the seabass measurement but with scup moving to measure 45x6 is taking on a whole new measure. Running the boat myself, being honest, cutting bait, tying on new rigs, checking the sounder and thinking about your next move or shit the 5 minutes in the head, you can miss some for sure.

I'm worried this is just the next slippery slope, its not like checking a bass that comes over one at a time in a sense. I already put three rulers out to everyone. Try to touch peoples fish when they come onboard and keep them in a common pool aint gonig to fly. Some people take great care of their fish, some let them bake out in the sun all day, gotto love it.

Now if I could only find a high school kid that wanted to work for $60 bucks a day like I did... That would solve this problem.

Ha, love the change in the waiver form...

Hire me!...$60 bucks a day is fine Working for boston harbor cruises this summer...

myentourage

Commander
What about the out of state head boats that come to fish Buzzards Bayi in May and June. They pay a shit one time fee to fish our waters and they go out at 6 am and do not come in until noon. The boat is packed elbow to elbow. I bring a crew out and we are done by 10am and i can't even imagine how many fish that boat is bringing in by coming back to port at noon time. Enviromental police say they can't enforce that many people on one boat so they get the 6 man charter boats. Thats bullshit keep the out of state head boats out, they are making a bad name for the little charter boats and causing alot of headache.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Im not discounting you at all and agree with it... but I do really wonder about the, any of the larger ones. I watch the Viking Starship next to me at times and they just dont haul in a ton of fish... I wonder if in the early spring when they are in like 15' of water if that boat really effects the fishing.

Ive always wanted to go down to the docks to see them come back in but never have. I know I have had more than a few people come to my boat and pay the higher six man prices to get better fishing.

I do grin when I see like 12 people on it though... lol...

Damn I just want to get home and fish...

Top Bottom