22’ Novi $20K

novivin

Captain
I looked thoroughly at a DJ Smith. Wicked thick layup, transom inner and outer skin so thick it would have held a 200 OB alone probably. Hull solid glass and thick as all hell. I would shop vac that puppy, wash, rinse, dry thoroughly. Leave ports/doors wide open, fans circulating. Then, see where you really stand before this season starts. Use it if it is solid, definitely address top transom cap and seal it with FG tape / resin patch. Check and seal if needed all transom penetrations. De-Core if you can and backfill / reinstall hardware. I used a shop vac to suck water out of the plywood core in my transom before sealing it again. It was a minor amount, and not rotted. I did this when the boat was 10 years old. It is 16 years old this year and still fine. I bought it when it was 4 years old. It is an 05.
How do I know this? I own a Novi. It needed all this. But I did not have to replace the transom, or anything yet, because I caught these things and always look for more. Definitely look under the rubrail at the transom too. Fasteners usually not sealed well and buried into core without De-coring. If it is too far gone, it is not hard to replace transom core.

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Thats a nice looking boat, what is it?

No real updates. I haven't had much time and haven't felt adventurous enough to try and take it to an unfamiliar boat ramp since the dock arent in where I normally go. However I just found out today they put the docks in at a local ramp near my house (fresh water), so I think tomorrow I'll get out for a quick maiden voyage and systems check.

I've already resealed a hatch, painted some rusty davit mounting plates, replaced the hauler liner discs and greased it up, washed and waxed the hull, removed some panels to inspected the fuel tank, fixed the washdown pump and am working on sorting out other wiring issues. There's a laundry list of things I want to do in the next couple weeks including getting the trim tabs working or replaced, doing a full 300 hour service to the etec and repairing some rot on the house.

novivin

Captain
The boat I have is a Gaski Marine from Dartmouth NS. I think they are not building boats any more. I have lots of build pics of the birth through completion from builder. I am the second owner. Already opened deck to replace the original foamed in aluminum tank since it failed me in 2016. I replaced with a poly tank of a smaller size 25 gallons. Forty was huge and unnecessary for the boat. It is a little narrower than yours. Not as deep too. I think you will be really happy with your DJ Smith. That will pleasantly surprise you with it’s seaworthiness. Sounds great! Mine likes that weight down low ( full fuel tank below deck for ballast ).

Top Bottom