22' Harris Cuttyhunk

Langusta

Ensign
Fellow DownEasters,

I have a 22' Harris Cuttyhunk and wanted to ask if anyone on the forum has had any experience with these pocket DownEasters. I bought the boat third hand three years ago in running condition. It has a 98 Evenrude 88 special 20",manual trim and teak labstraits on the starboard side. It looks similar to a 22' Sisu with a high sheer and narrow beam around 8' with a Carolina Flair up to the bow.
I have enjoyed an entire season of bass fishing with it but would like some feedback on repowering it and solving a few problems that I recognized with the boat.

1. New deck needed as the previous owner added a second deck instead of replacing the existing one.
2. Raise the transome to 25" or enclose the transom to repowering with a 25" motor to get better performance , for example lower the bow and eliminate water over the stern when drifting or at anchor.
3. Repowering with a 115hp 4 stroke probably a Honda to get better performance and efficiency.
4. Add scuppers that eliminate water on the deck at anchor or drifting.

My delima is one I'm sure many of you have considered. Does the cost of refitting my current boat outweigh the investment, or should I sell as is and buy something different? My purpose for this small downeaster is charter fishing and spearfishing for 4 passengers!

I appreciate all feed back as this is my first post on this sight. I have several pictures of my boat and would gladly post them for anyone interested.

Many Thanks,

Tight Lines & Shoot Straight!

Tuckerman

Captain
Boat Make
22 webber cove
Check out my thread " minor surgery on miss daisy ". I went through a similar rebuild.
Good luck keep us posted

JDTOOM

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome aboard and good luck with your project. There are a few project posts on this site that include replacing the deck and installing new scuppers. The new 4 stroke engine will probably be considerably heavier than the 2 stroke evinrude, so you might want to also add some weight in the bow to offset. Post the pictures if you can. Sounds like a nice set-up.

Spence

Commander
I'm very happy with my 115 yamaha on my 24 Seaway. Very quiet, plenty of power and 4.9 mpg. It weighs little more than my Honda 90 which I like less well (I'm probably biased by the ethanol learning experiences I had with the '01 Honda and its carbs). Good luck with the projec and X2 on the photos please.

Langusta

Ensign
22 Harris Cuttyhunk

Guys thanks for the feedback. My first choice for a motor would be a Yamaha however I have heard that the Honda 90 or 115 produces more torque. I have attached a picture of the Harris for anyone's review. Please let me know if the picture doesn't come through.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Red1beard

Commander
Boat Make
24 ft seaway
I run a 130 etec on my 24' Sea Way hardtop sport. Plenty of power. I cruise around 18 to 20 knots. Use roughly 6 gallons per hour. Just my 2 cents worth. Two strokes are lighter than four strokes.

Langusta

Ensign
That sounds like a great option. What is the weight of the 130 ETec and
I heard the oil can be quite expensive, more so then any other brand.
Working on the Pics for the cockpit, currently it's buried under snow.

Red1beard

Commander
Boat Make
24 ft seaway
130 etec weighs around 390 lbs for one with a 25" shaft. Oil is not cheap. But 2 strokes have less moving parts and you don't have to change the oil. Mine is set up to use the synthetic oil and Does not use very much. I have 2 years on a 90 etec on my old boat and one season on the 130. I am sure all the motors have good and bad about them. I like 2 stroke outboards.what can I say.

restless

Rear Admiral
I'm on my second E-Tec, a 130, previous one a 115. I have over 2000 hrs on the 130 with no major problems. About the same on the 115 when I traded it in for the 130. For your boat I would take a close look at the 115 as opposed to the 130. Both good motors but the 115 will burn less fuel and considerably less of the very expensive synthetic oil. When I put the first 115 on the boat I thought the oil injection was broken. It used so little oil. I doubt that 15 hp less will make a significant difference on your boat. If you go with the E-Tec just make sure your dealer sets the computer to use the synthetic oil. This is very important because if you don't do this you will burn about twice the oil . Once you get passed the sticker shock of the HD100 Synthetic oil it isn't bad at all. You will use very little once set up right.

Last edited:

Spence

Commander
What's the noise level like on a E-tec? I use my boat for custom nature tours and quiet is very important to me. I seriously looked at a 115 Nissan/Tohatsu but the dealer who I consider a friend, said the Yamaha was a good bit quieter. Fortuneately I've got a 1987 30hp Nissan on a tin skiff so I'll get to see him for the maintenance I don't do myself (water pumps). The 2 stroke Nissan may be the most reliable engine I've ever owned but quiet it isn't.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
Mine's a little noisier 'cause its a three cylinder getting ninety horsepower out of it. Of course four strokes are quieter but at the higher end (150+) definitely say it could be a push almost. Guy at my clubs got a 250 ETEC i almost cannot hear it running.

restless

Rear Admiral
The E-Tec is very quiet for a 2 stroke. Just a touch louder than a 4 stroke Yammi, which is very quiet. I get a lot of people mentioning how quiet my motor is at idle. When you power up it will get louder, but that's true of all outboards, 2 stroke or 4.

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
Langusta

You say you plan to spear/dive charter for four on a twenty two footer?

Consider a larger boat like a 26 privateer and a 200hp.
that boat you have is like mine;
will be great for scouting and two people charters. but four gear laden experts plus you will put that floor awash.

Ragtacker

Lieutenant
Langusta

You say you plan to spear/dive charter for four on a twenty two footer?

Consider a larger boat like a 26 privateer and a 200hp.
that boat you have is like mine;
will be great for scouting and two people charters. but four gear laden experts plus you will put that floor awash.

Had the exact boat about ten years ago. Small diesel inboard version. Mine was a wet boat with 2 aboard and gear. loved it! Back in the day I could probably swim faster than it, but I never had to slow down either.

Tuckerman

Captain
Boat Make
22 webber cove
I put a 150 yamaha on my boat last year. I could not be happier with performance and fuel burn . It's very quiet.

Magnolia Sun

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway 24' Hardtop Sport
I bought 2-Yamaha 2009 15HP 2-Stroke OB's, as it was their last year of production for my Achilles 12' inflatable (one sits in my basement) I love 2-strokes when it comes to low HP (so light @ 73 lbs.) I have heard good things about the E-TEC's. But, I have owned 2-Honda BF150's & LOVE them! They might be a tad heavy, but they start-up like a car engine every time. Honda will always get my business.

Harris Cuttyhunk 22

I just bought a Harriscuttyhunk 22. The motor -- a Johnson 140 -- is shot. I have access to an Evinrude E-Tec 175. The weight difference is approximately 40 lbs. Is this too much weight? Too much engine?

Magnolia Sun

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway 24' Hardtop Sport
175HP isn't over-the-top for a 22' It's more then you'll need that's for sure, but I wouldn't think the extra 40 lbs. will make a difference. Once it's on your transom, you'll get use to the RPM's. If you're getting a deal, then pull the trigger! My wife & I own a 2012 Seaway 24' & have a Honda BF150, which I'm sure it's heavier then your E-TEC & we LOVE it!

Top Bottom