22 sisu

Dillion84

Lieutenant
22’ Sisu - boats - by owner - marine sale

I’ve been looking for a first boat for a bit, but not wanting to spend a fortune or get a boat full of problems. I’m hoping to look at this one today (unless someone beats me to it). It seems like a hell of a deal, considering covid prices, but I have a very untrained eye.

It certainly has a fresh coat of paint, and he claims the motor was recently rebuilt. Is there something funny with that exhaust? If the motor is good and the hull isn’t soft, then this should be a winner, right?!

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
22’ Sisu - boats - by owner - marine sale

I’ve been looking for a first boat for a bit, but not wanting to spend a fortune or get a boat full of problems. I’m hoping to look at this one today (unless someone beats me to it). It seems like a hell of a deal, considering covid prices, but I have a very untrained eye.

It certainly has a fresh coat of paint, and he claims the motor was recently rebuilt. Is there something funny with that exhaust? If the motor is good and the hull isn’t soft, then this should be a winner, right?!
Nice!

MAArcher

Captain
No trailer and everything is recently painted, including the motor. So make sure its not a case of lipstick on a pig. And report back what you find, inquiring minds want to know.

I was thinking its a $10k boat as it is if there's no core issues and the motor runs well and appears to be in good repair. It looks like in the pic he sent me of the motor, the motor might have been painted in place. So I'm not sure what "rebuilt" means in this case. I would have thought that "rebuilt" means the motor was pulled, rebuilt, painted and put back in.

Worst thing is no trailer so no sea trial.

The top is aftermarket. I like the look of the three window windshield, but they all originally had two windows so you may want to scrutinize and make sure the top was built well.

Keep in mind there's a SISU hull listed for $9k with what might be a junk motor, but on a trailer, that's not selling. And a similar one without trailer for $15k that hasn't sold. And one with a low hour JD diesel for $19k that hasn't sold.

Dillion84

Lieutenant
Took a peak, and it’s definitely lipsticked. It had been a lobster boat and it’s rough all around. That being said to my untrained eye the hull seemed solid and the motor ran well. He wants to sell it today so he can buy a Duffy to work on.

Nice enough guy. Claimed his parents had a marina or something of the sort and he buys boats and ‘fixes them up’. He already had a big motor in the bed of the pickup that was going to be installed in the new Duffy he’s trying to buy. I took two terrible videos that I can’t quite figure out how to post. He installed the keel cooling system, which was a couple 1” copper pipes mounted to a couple chunks of pressure treated lumber on the keel.

The top seemed decent, but the roof looked like painted osb, and didn’t match the old roof line. Floor looked haggard, but seemed solid and I couldn’t find any active rot anywhere when I poked my hand in any of the openings in the floor.

He did mention that the two aluminum tanks needed to be cleaned so it was running off of a five gallon portable tank, which would make me wonder what shape those tanks are in anyways.

Here’s a couple screen shots that show a little of the grade of finish.

84AF00B7-7250-485C-8497-D79EFB704D71.png

A09E926C-A316-424C-A0A7-D6FE73E1CBE5.png

RobBaker

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastern Sisu 22
Sisu should have built all 22's with three windows forward.
Why? Doesn't the extra window create more of a blind spot? Cars in the old days had a seam down the middle and then they came up with the advancement of the seamless windows providing better visibility.

MAArcher

Captain
Why? Doesn't the extra window create more of a blind spot? Cars in the old days had a seam down the middle and then they came up with the advancement of the seamless windows providing better visibility.
It looks so much better with three.

B1414

Lieutenant Commander
The owner usually fixes up a few boats during the winter, he actually has done some nice smaller seaway 19s in the past, but it sounds like he need to flip this boat to support the Duffy project

Dillion84

Lieutenant
The owner usually fixes up a few boats during the winter, he actually has done some nice smaller seaway 19s in the past, but it sounds like he need to flip this boat to support the Duffy project
I think he cut this one short because the next project came along. There was a handful of things he said he would have done if it were his boat or if he had had the time.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom