22ft Sisu Rebuild

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Ok finally started getting into the Sisu in between replacing the tanks in the NB. I bought this boat from a guy who had not had it in the water in about 13 years. The hull is dry, top sides had some issues from where the rails were mounted and not decored. The decks were dust. Tanks good. Engine good but needed heat exchanger fuel pump and alt. new hoses and a fresh can of rebuild. Trailer needed 2 new axles other wise perfect. Hull is cored but no rot at all.

sisu.jpg

sisu4.jpg

sisu2.jpg

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
The stern rail will stay off but I will have to see what it looks like with and with out bow rail. Everything is ripped out and ready to go. Engine work is done. I have to put the rest of the picture in the computer tomorrow. The front step will be moved foward 16 inches, I was going to keep it a flat deck but need the storage room.

sisu3.jpg

motor.jpg

Last edited:

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Tuna,

An inquiring mind and a partially burnt body would like to know what type of hose Sisu used for the fuel fills?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Floyd, This Sisu was not finished by Sisu, it was done by a finisher out in Greenport. The hoses were standard fill hoses not junk. I will post pics again asap. We have made some progress over ther past week. Ready to put decks down this week I hope.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I'm thinking more of a Georges bank tuna boat! lol You could do it round trip for 20 gallons. I considered putting a gasser in there for some speed but decided to stay with the little deisel.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
These pictures are about a week old but you get the idea of where we are at.

Last one is the NB tank job.

2-20-12144.jpg

2-20-12145.jpg

2-20-12146.jpg

2-20-12147.jpg

2-20-12149.jpg

samson23

Lieutenant
Boat Make
ssamson23
rails

i noticed you said the stern rails aren't going back on , any interest in selling them , i could make them work if the dimensions are close.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Sorry, just saw this. If you can pick them up on Long Island you can have em.

samson23

Lieutenant
Boat Make
ssamson23
rails

tunaorlater,

very generous offer, but for some reason i thought you were out of gloucester,ma. unfortunately i'm about a 8-9hour round trip otherwise i'd be all over it.

thanks for the offer

mike

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Been awhile since I did an update on this. Decks are in fairing and sanding is going on, the top sides have been repaired where need be. Engine is in and all plumbing is done, shafts have been repacked just need to complete fairing, build some boxes for ventalation and fuel hoses paint and finish console. Hopeing to have it finished by the middle of may. Now that the tank job is done on the NB and thats in the water I can spend more time on this. Sorry forthecrappy cell phone pics.

sisu5.jpg

sisu6.jpg

sisu8.jpg

sisu9.jpg

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Tunalator, I am repainting the topsides and replacing the rub rails on my 1981 SISU 22. One area that has come up for discussion is how to attached the new rails. Lowell Bros told me place them 1' below the waterline. I was wondering if you could look at the height of yours. They look to be above the water line; could you let me know how they are attached. I assume through bolted.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 268 Islander, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Jk, I believe what you are installing is a lifting rail for stability? The rails on my boat are quater guards (aft) and spray rail(bow). The lifting rails would be below the water line. I decored the holes, bolted the rails on then filled the core holes back in with hull and deck putty then a layer of 1708 on top of that. You need complete access to the bilge to do this job. If you can not thru bolt and decore I would seriously consider not adding the rails. What speed are you looking at with your boat? Mine will be a slw boat to china so I am not very worried about the extra stability the rails might give me.

Elmar, I added the pulpit when I rebuilt the boat but it's been on there since the boat was put back in the water. The red bottom is new this year, stole that from flowers moxie when he originally finished her.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
thanks for the reply. I agree thru bolting is the best option. But cutting up my floor which is in good condition seems like a crime. I am going to call Lowell Bros in the morning. The only other option I have thought of was to drill and decore from the outside and then fill the holes with resin, (possibly six10) and then use SS woodscrews. Do you think this might work?

Top Bottom