22ft Sisu value?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
What do you think a 22ft Sisu 80hp Lehman diesel center console completly rebuilt on a douber axle ez loader trailer would be worth? 220 hours on the engine and a just finished complete rebuild on the boat.

SORTIE

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tripp 22 Angler
hey tuna, I know you from Noreast. My guess on the Sisu value would be $20K or so depending on age of hull

oldsalt

Lieutenant
I'd keep looking tunaorlater. You see them in good shape for 10 to12,000$ often. While you are looking, if you see a big boat for sale, let me know. Up to 40 feet and fairly new. stripped, loaded, whatever. I can't find any.

SORTIE

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tripp 22 Angler
if the hull is less than 20 years old, the boat and low-hours engine are truly rebuilt, and it's on a road-worthy trailer, it's worth more than $10-12 IMHO

oldsalt

Lieutenant
If Mr tunaorlater wants to buy a 22 footer Sisu, there are plenty to chose from . I can't re find the seach. A beauty was for 12,000. No trailer. OBs as low as 6.000$ that look nice. Its only a Sisu. I don't know why anyone would want one anyway but if he wants one, they are out there.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I have one sitting in my driveway that I just picked up. The engine has an original 220 hours, decks are shot. I will be doing the boat completly over this winter. Just trying to get an idea on value. Its a real nice little boat but I already have a 36NB and this would not get used much or else I would keep it for myself.

oldsalt

Lieutenant
Oh.. I misunderstood. So you know the value since you just picked it up. You must be wondering how much profit you can make. When was the boat originally made?
Is the hull solid glass? Do you have pictures?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
The boat is a 1981 hull, balsa core. Trailer just got 2 new axles everything else is perfect.

whats your budget on a 35 to 40ft boat? seems like there are some decent deals to be had.

oldsalt

Lieutenant
I know there are plenty of people out there that are skilled and capable of performing high quality boat repaires /fabrications /and general upgrades but you probably will have your hands full with that boat. Hopefully you are the paying hobby type who just loves fixing up boats. If it were built of wood. it would be a highly sought after classic.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Please explain why I would have my hands full with a 22ft boat that needs a deck and some minor engine work and paint.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Hey Mike,that will be a piece of cake for you.....these guys here dont know how much we love the smell of fiber glass in the morning......lol....cant wait to see the rebuild... Mike f/v laura s.

oldsalt

Lieutenant
I guess I misunderstood again. Instead of looking to buy a mint 22' Sisu. You bought or found a low priced or something free for removal boat that you want to slap some lipstick on and make some money. How many times can I try to guess what you aren't telling? The low hours diesel apperantly means nothing since it needs work already and you probably didn't properly investigate what it may need to become a sound motor that would be incinuated by the menton of the low hrs. For all we know, it might be worth spare parts or scrap metal? A cored hull is subject to moisture damage which is probably very likely since the deck failed. Often if one occurs you can probably find something in the other. Paint, this boat should be gel coat finished. Do I guess you mean you are going to paint the hand rails and other minor wood or painted pieces or did someone ruin the boat by spray painting the hull and topside or something worse, they rolled or brushed it on? Anyone who would paint a boat that should be gel coat is looking to slap lipstick on a project to make money . So what if a profession paint job is done. It is the half assed way of doing the job. Which are you? Do you do it the right way or do you do the easy way and slap some lipstick on? Maybe you can bring the boat over to maco on their 299 special and make her look all nice and shiny.

So have you investigated the motor properly yet or do you even intend to?

Have you found any damage to the core or do you intend to even inspect every square inch so the next owner can be confident he is going to get a solid boat and moneys worth.

Do you intend on slapping a shinny coat of paint on the boat to make it all shiny looking .

1981 How is the shaft. thru hull fittings. exhaust, , stuffing boxes. instrument panal. steering .etc

You can easily spend all winter just investigating all the things you should be checking without even doing anything.
Or, you can just see if it works good enough and let the next owner worry about how long it will work for. A 1981 Sisu with a unknown history can easiy be worth well more in time and repairs than what the fair selling price should be. So you can either fix it up because you like doing that sort of thing and break even at best or even take a loss. There are people out there that will do that because they love what they are doing or you can slap some lipstick on it and make a profit off some unsuspecting buyer who wouldn't know the difference what lipstick is on a boat. There are people out there that actually think a nice shiny painted boat on a boat that is intended to be gel coat is impressive.

What kind of boat is the next owner going to be getting for the money he spends?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
What makes gel coat a better job then awlgrip? The motor is sound when I say minor engine work I mean minor (hoses, belts ect.) and of course all the running gear will be removed and resealed. The hull has a total of 20 holes (16 from cleats) and all were decored and there is no wet core. The decks rotted because they were built from ply wood and the edges were not properly sealed where hatches were. Trust me I am not a lip stick kinda guy this boat will be a 100% when finished and ready for another 30 years of use. Check out my 36 NB rebuild on the projects board and I think you will understand that. Thanks for your concern though :)

oldsalt

Lieutenant
What makes gel coat better than awlgrip? One is gel coat and the other is paint.
What is wrong with the gel coat? Is it some strange color that would render the boat unsellable?
You should post some pictures so we don't have to keep guessing what you don't want to tell us. Now the motor doesn't need work. Just some maintance items. I think the more I find out the less the boat is worth. 1981 looking nice on a good trailer ( any electronics) ..$5,500 with that motor maybe $6500 tops. If you found a remove for free boat, you should be able to make a little something for a paying hobby winter project that someone can get fair value for what they spend. How many knots did she do at the sea trial and did the motor turn up?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I have better things to do then get in a pissing match with you. Thanks for your wealth of knowledge and good luck finding a boat. Bye.

oldsalt

Lieutenant
I didn't realize asking how many knots the boat went at sea trial or asking if the motor turned up meant to you a pissing match. If you leave all your comments wide open to leaving a reader guessing what you are attempting to represent. You probably will get questions for clearification. I didn't mean to stump you on every question.

aweigh again

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
i bought a 1983 22 foot bass boat in good shape,powered by a 2005 4 stroke yamaha.the trailer needed new tires ,and brakes.the owner was asking 18,000.i payed 14,500. .aweigh again

Field Tester

Commander
Website
www.fieldtester.net
Hey tuna....old salt obviously doesn't know who he's talking to. After seeing the work you did on BOTH your NB's, this project is a peice of cake for you. I like how old salt states the obvious but doesn't answer you question about gel coat vs awlgrip!! Shows who really has the knowledge. Lol

oldsalt

Lieutenant
Field Tester said:
Hey tuna....old salt obviously doesn't know who he's talking to. After seeing the work you did on BOTH your NB's, this project is a peice of cake for you. I like how old salt states the obvious but doesn't answer you question about gel coat vs awlgrip!! Shows who really has the knowledge. Lol
Next time read all the posts. I answered all his questions even though he hasn't answered much at all. I never said he couldn't do it. I'm just asking questions. He has been nothing but misleading. Everything gets turned around when clearification is asked. Double talk. Whats with that?

Field Tester

Commander
Website
www.fieldtester.net
oldsalt said:
Field Tester said:
Next time read all the posts. I answered all his questions even though he hasn't answered much at all. I never said he couldn't do it. I'm just asking questions. He has been nothing but misleading. Everything gets turned around when clearification is asked. Double talk. Whats with that?
I did read all posts. Tuna asked you one question that you did not answer. Why is gelcoat better that awlgrip? Your answer was one is gel coat, one is paint. That is not much of an answer. Not anywhere do you explain why one is better than the other. Stop trying to bash people when you have no clue what your talking about.

Top Bottom