230 hp yanmar with bravo 3 outdrive

hmscapecod

Lieutenant
Hi, would you guys have an idea of what a year 2000 yanmar package is worth? It s 230 hp with 900 hours inboard/outboard with a practically brand new bravo 3 outdrive. Dual stainless props... complete running takeout, cables..throttles.. panel..harness... everything.

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
I hear the word outdrive and I start to get a headache...lol
I would think it's realistically worth about 5k

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
That engine is one of the best and most popular in its class ever made. And they are no longer made new. So it is very much in demand.

I'll bet you can get more than $10,000 for the package.

David

pugsley

Captain
bravo 2 is bulletproof don't know a thing about the bravo 3, isn't the the duoprop thing?

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
Be careful, word is those Bravo out drives cannot handle the torque of a diesel and they wear out quickly. This was the case on some of the True World Marine 28s which are basically the old Moonie boats. I have owned two out drive boats, one with a gas engine and one with a diesel Volvo D6. Both out drives were Volvo, but both needed new bellows after two seasons to the tune of a little of a grand. I hate out drives.

pugsley

Captain
Be careful, word is those Bravo out drives cannot handle the torque of a diesel and they wear out quickly. This was the case on some of the True World Marine 28s which are basically the old Moonie boats. I have owned two out drive boats, one with a gas engine and one with a diesel Volvo D6. Both out drives were Volvo, but both needed new bellows after two seasons to the tune of a little of a grand. I hate out drives.

bellows cost like $40

but you are right about being on a diesel

Last edited:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
bravo 2 is bulletproof don't know a thing about the bravo 3, isn't the the duoprop thing?

Agreed they run great with the Bravo II. Bravo III not nearly as strong. On all of the repowers down my way we always used the Bravo II with great success. Bravo III did not work out well.

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
Maybe they cost $40 bucks but my bill came to $1000 because they had to remove the out drive and replace a few other items, I don't remember exactly what, this was a while and a few boats ago...

bellows cost like $40

but you are right about being on a diesel

hmscapecod

Lieutenant
Agreed they run great with the Bravo II. Bravo III not nearly as strong. On all of the repowers down my way we always used the Bravo II with great success. Bravo III did not work out well.

Might be why it has a new lower unit. What is that worth? Is a bravo 2 an easy swap or does the gimble housing need a changing?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I am not sure on the gimbal housing. Bravo III are good units for gas motors & should be an easy sell. The motor is bullet proof.

pugsley

Captain
Maybe they cost $40 bucks but my bill came to $1000 because they had to remove the out drive and replace a few other items, I don't remember exactly what, this was a while and a few boats ago...

yeah you have to remove the outdrive to do all service on them, it takes maybe 15 minutes, maybe they replaced the gimbal bearing, that is another $40, and the universals $30-$60 depending on what you get, so maybe $200 in all the parts, if they add to their cost, and $800 labor, probably took 4 hours if they changed all of that, $200 an hour isn't too bad.

there is no take some up-keep, but it is all very very simple.

Jesus H

Ensign
Boat Make
Seacraft Pilothouse
Have you got a picture of the motor/ drive? Also what kind of boat did this come out of? You can email me direct if you like, send me a PM. Thanks.

Jesus H

Ensign
Boat Make
Seacraft Pilothouse
Have you got a picture of the motor/ drive? Also what kind of boat did this come out of? You can email me direct if you like, send me a PM. Thanks.

Top Bottom