24' Eastporter

Krafty1

Ensign
Boat Make
Still Looking
How do you guys feel about I/O engines. looking to purchase my first boat. Like the look of this. some people I know won't go anywhere near a boat with an I/O. Any opinions and insight is appreciated.

Tuckerman

Captain
Boat Make
22 webber cove
A wise man once told me " either get it all in the boat or all out of the boat"

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
Inboard outboard the worst of both worlds. Not a fan.

Krafty1

Ensign
Boat Make
Still Looking
Thank you guys for the the responses. Funny those were exactly the two sayings that my buddy told me.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Eastporter 26'

The other Eastporter I posted is a straight inboard if you are interested. It looks like a nice boat for the money. These had a full keel if it is an inboard.

pugsley

Captain
i have an i/o, not had it long so i can't tell you from my experience, but there are still a bunch of guys here that use them, a friend of mine just changed his, it had over 11k hours on it (volvo sx), i know another guy with a bravo ii that is an '87 (i think) and it has outlasted 3 350s and that's not uncommon. you have your maintainence stuff, bellows, ujoints and gimble bearings, but they are pretty easily changed with very little mechanical ability.

that being said if it has a mercruiser alpha drive, stay very very far away, the volvo sx drives, and mercruiser bravo II drives are pretty bullet proof.
i have another friend with an alpha drive, he tears up two a year.

jojobee

Commander
I have no issues with the I/O. Everything has maintenance. It looks better than an outboard and performs better than an inboard. the Alpha legs are cheap too. They are easy to trailer, if you have to, and you can beach the boat if you are doing the family thing.

pjitty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
2004 Regal 2465, 19' home built Downeaster
IO more efficient than a straight inboard, and no motor hanging/obstruction off the transom. I have 2 outboard boats and an IO. Both serve their purpose. I maintain my boats and never had a problem with either after several years of use. Good luck with your decision...

Joe D.

Top Bottom