24 oz. Woven Roven Vs. 2415 stitchmat

gfdriscoll

Ensign
I found my way to this forum through The Hull Truth. I have really enjoyed reading all of the informative threads here. My boat is not a downeast, but a 18 ft Boston Whaler Outrage. I love downeast hulls though, and i see my fair share of them in Portland, ME, where I live. I really like the feel of this forum so I decided to ask my question here.

I am recoring my tank hatch on my boat. I have the actual layup schedule plans from whaler and on the back side of the skin they used 2415. I believe this is a bi-axial stitch.

I live within walking distance from Hamilton Marine, and they have 24oz woven roven in stock.

Would this be suitable to use? Thanks for any input.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
I found my way to this forum through The Hull Truth. I have really enjoyed reading all of the informative threads here. My boat is not a downeast, but a 18 ft Boston Whaler Outrage. I love downeast hulls though, and i see my fair share of them in Portland, ME, where I live. I really like the feel of this forum so I decided to ask my question here.

I am recoring my tank hatch on my boat. I have the actual layup schedule plans from whaler and on the back side of the skin they used 2415. I believe this is a bi-axial stitch.

I live within walking distance from Hamilton Marine, and they have 24oz woven roven in stock.

Would this be suitable to use? Thanks for any input.

just alternate layers with 1.5 oz chopped, wala 2415. Chops used to fill in the gaps from woven.

gfdriscoll

Ensign
Thanks Jerseysportfisher....excuse my fiberglass ignorance, this will be my first project.

So if im following you, alternated layers of 1.5 oz chopped strand mat will give me the same reinforcement as 2415. I like that idea. How many layers would you recommend?

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Thanks Jerseysportfisher....excuse my fiberglass ignorance, this will be my first project.

So if im following you, alternated layers of 1.5 oz chopped strand mat will give me the same reinforcement as 2415. I like that idea. How many layers would you recommend?

how large is the span ? is it cored ? 2415 is 24oz stiched with 1.5oz on one side. But to get good bond, you need it in between woven layers to fill the gaps of the weave. got a pic to put up ?

gfdriscoll

Ensign
gfdriscoll-albums-whaler-tank-hatch-re-core-picture62116-img-1969.html

The span is not very large. If my picture loads correctly, I am replacing the inside of the red rectangles with Nida Core (i have the unfinished nidacore with just the scrim, but to be honest I am a little intimidated by it now and may just use marine-ply.).

The balsa that was in there rotted away. Everything not inside the rectangles is composite WhalerBoard and is still very solid.

** edit: will work on getting that pic up...

gfdriscoll

Ensign
Sounds good to me. I appreciate the tips. If it wasnt 1 degree outside I could get started!

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
This is true. Reminds me of when I used to work with my grandfather and id say something like "oh well theres nothing else to do here" to try and get out of work......you could guess how that went.

yep. sounds like my uncle, father ,grandfather.... now i'm the one parroting it to my son and wife

Top Bottom