25 T Jason..2nd impression

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Today I took the 25 T Jason for its "2nd spin" on the ocean.
Yesterday was a short shakedown cruise and the voltage meter was pegging on upper rpms. Checked out OK @ 14.3 volts with the meter on the Batt terminals.

I was not going to go out today, there were NOT a lot of boats out. The wind was howling pretty good down the river out of the NW.
I figured "screw it", good day to see how dry and stable these boats are or are not. Went out and with an incoming tide the river mouth and out front between the red can and MR entrance buoy was busy with 3-4 footers with water blowing off the chop.

I have to say I was surprised at how this 25 footer handled the slop @ all speeds. 5,6, 9,11 and 14-15 knots which is WOT for the 124 hp Volvo.:D
Wasn't expecting the boat to handle as good as it did.

Any speed under 10 knots I had water splashing up and over the front windshield in a head sea. The 25 T J does not have spray rails and I doubt they would have done much good with the wind.

At all speeds the boat was rock steady and tracked straight as an arrow with little correction by me in a head, following, 1/4ing following and 1/4ing head sea. I ran all around outside the river mouth in the incoming and outgoing tide. I was surprised at how comfortable and DRY the ride was. Of course every so often I could not see with the wall of water riding by my vision.:D

I'm used of the 31 Blackfin darting and digging in from side to side in a following sea. I have to keep the trim tabs down to get the bow down to see.

I also drifted the boat in this stuff for a while..NOT bad at all. Very little rocking and I swear it's all the water in the big keel on this little boat. :rolleyes:

I could walk around the cockpit without holding on. I also like how the boat will drift steady and stay on either side you put it.

I did notice @ WOT 14-15 knots the boat is quite dry even without spray rails. btw, the boat does not have lifting rails either.

So far so good with my sea trials of the 25 T Jason.:D

FWIW, Bill D

cb34

Rear Admiral

Good on ya Bill, like I said no turning back now:D

philgraham

Lieutenant
bill built a 28 t jason 2 years a go,powered with 330 hp crusader,does 26 wide open,had her in all conditions,great boat terry lays them up heavy with more biaxial than roven,lot of keel for boat of her size,just thought i give you some input

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
bill built a 28 t jason 2 years a go,powered with 330 hp crusader,does 26 wide open,had her in all conditions,great boat terry lays them up heavy with more biaxial than roven,lot of keel for boat of her size,just thought i give you some input

Thanks Phil,

I haven't had this much fun in a LONG TIME boating.

Good thing the keel is REAL strong.

I hit the "marked ledge" off my slip today going about 2 knots :confused:

Dam ass jump up a bit, a rumble or two but she kept on going right into the slip.

I'm hauling the boat next week as planned.

GREAT little boat.

Debating on lifting rails with the new power.

Appreciated, Bill D

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Bill,

Go for the lifting/spray rail. With proper planning it is DIY project. The rails may not block all the water but should prevent water from coming up over the bow. The big benefit I was found was that in a following sea my SISU tracks much better. In to a a head sea they keep the boat much dryer. FWIW

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Bill,

Go for the lifting/spray rail. With proper planning it is DIY project. The rails may not block all the water but should prevent water from coming up over the bow. The big benefit I was found was that in a following sea my SISU tracks much better. In to a a head sea they keep the boat much dryer. FWIW

Spray rails yes. Maybe lifting rails too.

Today I did the final sea trial before the boat is hauled next week.

I put 868 lbs of water amidships. The hull handles the weight fine but it seemed to struggle getting up on plane with the weight and no rails.

Of course the boat has only 110 hp to move it "up and out" :D

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

offshore31

Captain
Bill

She looks like a nice ride. You're going to have a ball with her.

See you on the water
Joe

Top Bottom