25 T Jason, assessing weight placement/trim

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
The 25 T Jason I bought has the Volvo 6 cyl. installed with cylinders 1 thru 5 forward of the front bulkhead.

The stern of the boat "sits high" in the water.

Today I took four 32 gallon barrels and filled them with water, maybe 26-30 gallons each. I figure there's around 15 gallons of fuel in the tank so about 115-120 gals of "fuel" back there.

The ass of the boat now sets down in the water a bit lower. The 3" inch exhaust outlet is 1/2 way out of the water.

I ran the boat today with a 3 knot current and back against the 3 knot current.

Boat ran 13 knots @ 3000 rpm with the current, 10 knots back against. Not sure how accurate the speed recording is, I downloaded a gps speed app on the phone.

With the four barrels and a couple more I can get an idea of how the boat will "trim out" with fuel, crew gear etc.

Moving along with my assessment of this 25 footer.

Bill D

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

duxbait

Captain
Looks to be sitting nice with that extra weight. Your gonna want some flaps on those scuppers, sure Ronnie can tell you why!:D

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
With a 480hp 5.9 in that baby, you won't have to worry about weight :D.

My thinking is this 25 T Jason hull will "only go so fast" no matter what you put in for hp.

If I keep the boat AND repower the boat I'd like to see 18-20 knots.

Not sure if it is possible unless you go CRAZY with hp.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
nice knife holder :D even i can do better than that:rolleyes:

That frozen set screw has been soaking in some PB Blaster for a couple of days now.

I'll be using the hammer drill on it tomorrow. :D

btw, this DE rig is not "fresh brandy new" out of a Maine boat shop !

AND I didn't pay "fresh brandy new" pricing !:D

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Now you can run the numbers and figure how she'll run w/ a 6BTA and a V Drive....

sevenjohn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
novi
hey bill...how about a 350 gas with a 2:1 gear...move the engine aft a little and get rid of the 1ooo lbs in the ass end ...it will go.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
hey bill...how about a 350 gas with a 2:1 gear...move the engine aft a little and get rid of the 1ooo lbs in the ass end ...it will go.

John,

I'm considering both gas and diesel if I repower.
I've done the measurements.
With a drop down gear (ZF63A) I can move any engine back 18 inches or more.
Engine choices would be 5.7 Vortec MPI 2.7:1 gear or a simple 6BT220 with a 2:1 gear.
Prop would be 21 or 22 square.

The Volvo weighs in @ 1025 lbs. without the gear. I'd save about hundred lbs. with a gas motor, 6BT break even in weight BUT the engine will be way back where it should be in this hull.

Not there yet with a decision even to "keep" the boat.
I'll be moving it down to my slip in Salisbury end of the week.
Spend a couple of weeks "as is" out on the "inshore" in and out of the river mouth.

I'll have a better handle then. ;)

btw, haven't seen any updates on your 33 Young Brothers rebuild.
How's it coming along ??

sevenjohn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
novi
Bill,
My sons will be posting some pictures soon. The engine is in as is the shaft tube and shaft. The fuel tanks are in and the inside of the hull is gelcoated..3 coats white. The fore deck,washboards and stern deck are in and glassed with 2 layers of 1 1/2 oz mat. The trunk is tabbed with mat,biaxial and mat...the trunk and sides are also 2 layers of 1 1/2 mat. The main blkhd is glass also. The cockpit deck is framed to the engine...it's getting there. The exhaust is in also...6" with a vernatone muffler ...and surge tube.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Nothing wrong with that knife holder from what I can see. I have my throttle down device permanently installed so the throttle rockets back when you let go of it, for long hauls I've been known to slip a fid in and use that as my downeast cruise control. In a pinch a wrench or two works wonders, use different sizes for different throttle settings (5/8 is cruise for me) :)

Coastal

Lieutenant
If you cant tighten in the control, you can put a small hose clamp on the cable to tighten it and it wont slip

Top Bottom