25 T Jason Final Sea Trial this year

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Today I added an extra two 32 gallon barrels of water to the weight in the boat for a total of six barrels equaling +- 1500 lbs. The two extra barrels are on either side of the engine box.

The total weight today is maybe as heavy as I'll ever use the boat. The equivalent of 100 gallons of diesel, four 200+ lb adults, standing gear on the boat and required gear for a trip. :D

The video was taken from the banks of the Merrimack River up in Haverhill, Ma.

25 T Jason Running #2 - YouTube

The boat is running @ 15 knots (slower in the turns) with the little Volvo spinning @ 3375 WOT. 18X14 inch prop, no lifting rails.

I think the hull is up on the water pretty good without lifting rails @ 15 knots.
The hull should get up a bit more with more speed.

I never owned one of these hulls but IMO I can't see any practical payback of adding lifting rails or spray rails.

Your thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Bill D

IMG_1552.jpg

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
That thing does not lean at all in a turn

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Well you certainly are running the shit out of that little volvo !!! :D It does run nice on the river but they all look good in calm water, Bill i'd take it out in some real ocean conditions with the weight aboard and see how it runs ? You may want to add some spray rails just to knock down spray when going slower like when you going into the wind to pick up a buoy or just cruising around looking for fish or finding a knuckle to set your traps on. I think with the horsepower your going to put to that rig lifting rails won't make much of a difference but i don't know much about them on DE's i do know that some guys put them on bowpickers here and when running in big following seas they wanted to broach badly. Clean up that boat, make it functional and don't worry about 1 or 2 extra knots.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Well you certainly are running the shit out of that little volvo !!! :D It does run nice on the river but they all look good in calm water, Bill i'd take it out in some real ocean conditions with the weight aboard and see how it runs ? You may want to add some spray rails just to knock down spray when going slower like when you going into the wind to pick up a buoy or just cruising around looking for fish or finding a knuckle to set your traps on. I think with the horsepower your going to put to that rig lifting rails won't make much of a difference but i don't know much about them on DE's i do know that some guys put them on bowpickers here and when running in big following seas they wanted to broach badly. Clean up that boat, make it functional and don't worry about 1 or 2 extra knots.

Steve,

I plan on leaving the hull "as is",,,, maybe spray rails only.

I ran the boat out on the ocean with 1,000 + lbs on her with 35 gals of fuel out back.

I have NO doubts about this little rigs sea keeping ability.

Thanks

cb34

Rear Admiral
25t

Boat runs great. Have you ever had so much fun running a boat?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
To me that boat looks a little low in the rear but tracks like its on rails and almost leans away from the turns but it is clearly loaded very heavily.

If you added the rails, would they be for what you do all day or just to steam up the river on the way home at the end of the day? Long run out to where you fish?

To me it should be about the use, not just how it performs at WOT. If you run fast all the time then it might be worth the work. More power seems like it would solve whatever little concerns you might have. Looks great to me.

Also, looks like its running closer to 20kts. That little boat is fast!

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
To me that boat looks a little low in the rear but tracks like its on rails and almost leans away from the turns but it is clearly loaded very heavily.

If you added the rails, would they be for what you do all day or just to steam up the river on the way home at the end of the day? Long run out to where you fish?

To me it should be about the use, not just how it performs at WOT. If you run fast all the time then it might be worth the work. More power seems like it would solve whatever little concerns you might have. Looks great to me.

Also, looks like its running closer to 20kts. That little boat is fast!

Looks LOT faster in the video than on gps !
14 knots WOT, slower obviously in the turns.
For how I want to boat to perform I'll leave the hull "as is" except for a set of spray rails.

I'll clean her up a bit, add some hp, swing a minimum 20" prop with maybe 22-24 inches of pitch. She'll move right along.

The boat is fun and it handles the ocean in 3-4 footers just fine in any direction.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
So how much speed did you lose when you added all that water? If I recall correctly you were running 15kts in the first video and still getting 14 with about 900lbs on deck? Pretty good if you ask me.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
So how much speed did you lose when you added all that water? If I recall correctly you were running 15kts in the first video and still getting 14 with about 900lbs on deck? Pretty good if you ask me.

Maybe a knot or two.

Remember, the gps I used is a phone app. I checked the accuracy one day in the care on the highway. Very accurate.

Any speed differences are not important to me.
For now, I have a "go fast boat" to hop on.
The 31 Blackfin with twin Cummins 370 power hums along effortlessly @ 23 knots weight or no weight !!!!!!;)

Top Bottom