25 T Jason Running

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I hauled the traps out for the season.

This video is the boat running WOT with the 124 hp Volvo spinning around 3350, 1.93:1 gear swinging a 18X14 four blade on a 1.25" shaft.
I figure the Volvo is producing maybe 100-115 hp at WOT

Boat is running against a strong outgoing tide 13-14 knots.

The boat runs pretty flat.

No spray rails or lifting rails.

Question?

What is your opinions of adding lifting rails to the 25 T Jason ?

Worth it or not ??

oops, can't post the video ??
got a security message

Kodiakan

Commander
How about trim tabs? I had them on my 28 and they helped with many issues. Do they work on DE's with full keel?

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I am debating this same issue and to me, the trim tabs just seem like such an easier option and, between the lifting rails (HUGE project), Volvo tabs and standard trim tabs, it seems like every report I have read here and elsewhere is that whoever has added any of these really likes them- whichever system it is. No one has said, 'oh I tried those bennett trim tabs and hated them so I switched to the volvos and what a difference'. No real conclusive A/B comparisons to be seen. Unless I am missing something and believe me I wish I were because I would love to see it.

I read the QL site and they say that they offer less drag that tradition tabs which may be the case but I am not sure that it would be measurable really. I get the concern over cutting a fishing line or damaging trim tabs pulling pots so the QL's have the upper hand there. I would worry more about some debris damaging the QL blades while underway (a piece of wood at night) because the blades are perpendicular to the hull where as the tabs are sloping away. Anyone know the cost comparison between trim tabs and the QL systems?

THe old wood wedge trick sounds good to me but it would be too much trial and error to get it right (pull your boat, fiberglass a wedge, try again- how many times? Cant think of a way to hold wedges on without getting serious about it so I am writing this old method, that is probably a vestige of the wooden boat days, off as it would cost me too much to sort out.

Lifting rails are too much work for the average joe no? Fiberglassing them in, deciding where to put them and what size and then the worry about damaging them in the slings. Am I overanalyzing this? I guess no matter where you put them on DE hull you would probably get some improved lift, speed, reduced spray but I think you might get 80% of that benefit at 10% of the work and cost with trim tabs.

Did I hijack your thread? Didnt mean to if so but I think its all relative to your question.

Kodiakan

Commander
Sorry Bill, I should have directed you to the last page of the thread, not the first as your DE is apples and oranges to a small outboard poewered vessel. The last pair of tabs I helped with went on a 36 footer. He swears by them. On my 28 X11 I used them mostly to level the load.... The way your boat handled the slop looked really good to me. Wish we had a few of those rigs over here on the left coast........

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM

This video is the boat running WOT with the 124 hp Volvo spinning around 3350, 1.93:1 gear swinging a 18X14 four blade on a 1.25" shaft.

Yes it does !!

Ya don't need them !!

Question?

What is your opinions of adding lifting rails to the 25 T Jason
WHY !!!
Worth it or not ??
Not in my book !

Bill the boat looks great, leave it alone just stick in some nice horsepower and all will be fine. You've stuck the needle in your arm now push the plunger in and get the big horsepower fix you want for that boat !!!

Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
fast cure household caulking and cedar shakes. quick and dirty, nothing fancy... or pot warp wrapped around the stern will tell you alot.

Still would cost me $100 each time to pull it and put new set of shingles on... 3 or 4 rounds and I have a set of trim tabs. If I had a trailer maybe.

cb34

Rear Admiral

Runs great Bill, I would not add any rails. Go thru the mechanics, clean it up and mount your hauler and davit. Perfect;)

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make

Yes it does !!

Ya don't need them !!

Question?

What is your opinions of adding lifting rails to the 25 T Jason
WHY !!!
Worth it or not ??
Not in my book !

Bill the boat looks great, leave it alone just stick in some nice horsepower and all will be fine. You've stuck the needle in your arm now push the plunger in and get the big horsepower fix you want for that boat !!!

Runs great Bill, I would not add any rails. Go thru the mechanics, clean it up and mount your hauler and davit. Perfect;)

Steve and Will,

That is my thought exactly about lifting rails. The boat runs pretty good @ 13-14 knots with 100 hp. If I get to 18 knots with another 100+ hp the boat will be PLENTY fast enough to get me around .:D

The reason I asked about rails is I spoke with an owner (commercial lobster guy) who owned one of these 25 TJ's with 210 Isusu power that had lifting rails and he said "definitely could use rails"....

Now that I've run the boat for a bit it runs pretty good without rails and that's with small hp.

Thanks for the input

Top Bottom