26 general marine shaft zinc

rusty12

Lieutenant
I have a 26 gm and was wondering if I should have a zinc on the shaft. I only have 1 3/4 of shaft space between the end of the shaft key and cutlass. H and h stated that you need at least 3/16 for waterflow for the bearing....most collars at 1 1/2 which would leave me 3/16. Will I have an issue with cavitation with that setup or would i be better with a prop nut zinc?

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
I have a 26 gm and was wondering if I should have a zinc on the shaft. I only have 1 3/4 of shaft space between the end of the shaft key and cutlass. H and h stated that you need at least 3/16 for waterflow for the bearing....most collars at 1 1/2 which would leave me 3/16. Will I have an issue with cavitation with that setup or would i be better with a prop nut zinc?
Yes it will cavitate. My friend has a 26 and we have to turn a zinc down on a lathe to make it work. If we put a standard zinc on it shakes so bad you would think the gear was bad.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
it is a copper strap with a conductor on the end that rides on the shaft. bend it so that it is just in contact with the shaft that way its not scoring the shaft. a bonding wire is hooked to the strap and grounded to the rest of the system. easy peasy. just mount it on a block somewhere down in the bilge out of the way.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
it is a copper strap with a conductor on the end that rides on the shaft. bend it so that it is just in contact with the shaft that way its not scoring the shaft. a bonding wire is hooked to the strap and grounded to the rest of the system. easy peasy. just mount it on a block somewhere down in the bilge out of the way.
Thanks,
I had an inkling that it would be described as you did !!

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
Perhaps you might have room for a "collar" zinc on the shaft right behind the prop. BTY, if you guys are not familiar with www.boatzincs.com
check it out, great pricing and you can check out the zinc I am referring
to.

rusty12

Lieutenant
Zinc

Collar will cause too much cavitation according to several gm owners.

Thanks for info guys

Top Bottom