26 or 28 Mitchell Cove

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Like 5 years ago I saw a 26 or 28 mitchell cove on YW.. I wish I had the pics of it..thing was badass..I told someone about it who owns a 32 MC and he was almost jumping up and down telling me that there was never such a thing? true or false? I know what I saw and unless it was a false ad it was on there.. I think it was like 60 or 70K

wildcard

Lieutenant
First Name
Erik
Boat Make
20’ Mitchell Cove
Mc 28

There was/is such a thing. There was a big debate between Wayne Beal and David Schlieffer (sp) Of Mitchell Cove in the early 90s because both of them wanted to own the best copy of Calvin's "Little Girl".

They were in essence the same hull. For a few years in the early 90's, when Benny Beal's "Benny's Bitch" was winning all the races, David Schlieffer put out a beautiful 28' boat, i think it was named "Black Jack" to race for a year or two. She had traditional Jonesport colors, diamond windows, and fast fast fast, a real piece of art.

wildcard

Lieutenant
First Name
Erik
Boat Make
20’ Mitchell Cove
lousy picture, but i believe this the boat and the name of the boat, i think the name was "Cap'n Jack" but it was probably almost 20 years ago.

Tumblehome

Lieutenant Commander
Captain jack

There was/is such a thing. There was a big debate between Wayne Beal and David Schlieffer (sp) Of Mitchell Cove in the early 90s because both of them wanted to own the best copy of Calvin's "Little Girl".

They were in essence the same hull. For a few years in the early 90's, when Benny Beal's "Benny's Bitch" was winning all the races, David Schlieffer put out a beautiful 28' boat, i think it was named "Black Jack" to race for a year or two. She had traditional Jonesport colors, diamond windows, and fast fast fast, a real piece of art.

I think you boat you are referring to was the CAPTAIN JACK, and she was fast. If I remember right, she had a 63 series Volvo (370 hp), and was white, with a white wheelhouse (and the diamond windows on the trunk cabin). :cool:

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
lousy picture, but i believe this the boat and the name of the boat, i think the name was "Cap'n Jack" but it was probably almost 20 years ago.

Wildcard...you have the 23 calvin beal over at the south shore yacht club right?we have passed a few times this summer over in worlds end I think.. I got the 19 midland..its gray.. I asked you what hull you had one day..love that boat.. my buddy (fishondon) is obsessed with that thing..he tried to find someothers like it cause he wants to get one.. did you buy the boat set up like that or did you do it?

wildcard

Lieutenant
First Name
Erik
Boat Make
20’ Mitchell Cove
Yes, that's me. Looking a little ratty this far into the season. It's a 20' Mitchell Cove. Most people don't know what it is, so i call it a "calvin beal 20" It's nothing fancy, all off the rack stuff, did most of the work myself and on a shoe string budget.

Hull came from Webbers cove, he had the mold for a while, not sure if he still does. Deck is tight, just a center console, a fish machine, compass, fuel gauge, VHF and lights. Buddy of mine calls it 'minimalistic simplicity'.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
wildcard.. just remembered I took a pic of your boat from the dog park a few weeks ago to post on here.. here it is
23 Calvin Beal Center Console

23calvinbeal.jpg

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander

what are the Jonesport colors?

iam gunna say white ,black and red

The guy from Bass Harbor who had the 28, 32 and 35 designed and built for him was David Schlaefer.

I've lost track of the MC 28 but I've heard rumors (1) that it is now the Northern Bay 28 or (2) Campobello finisher Steve Newman has the mold.

Its been too many years and the Capt Jack is now just a name to me. However, I do recall the Cracker Jack. She was painted black (tough color for a wood hull) wood and competitive in her class. I recall that Wayne Beal used her as a plug for what became (I believe) the WB 34.

As mentioned before, the Little Girl was used as a plug to build the WB 28 mold.

The diamond windows go back to the days when cuddy cabins first appeared locally. They were just square panes of glass rotated 45 degrees.

Finally, the question about Jonesport colors has been asked and answered before: There are no "Jonesport" colors. Like the diamond windows, there are style cues (also mentioned earlier) and there is the Jonesport boot top stripe which is painted on in dayglo red but that's it for Jonesport colors. To those who question this, make the seven hour trip and park yourself on the bridge for about five seconds for all the evidence that you'll need. Not much to do here for visitors though - our one restaurant is run by a couple from New Jersey and offers hoagies.

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Not much to do here for visitors though - our one restaurant is run by a couple from New Jersey and offers hoagies.[/QUOTE]

Their called "subs" in NJ, the owners must be from southern NJ (over the mason dixon line):eek:

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Not much to do here for visitors though - our one restaurant is run by a couple from New Jersey and offers hoagies.

Their called "subs" in NJ, the owners must be from southern NJ (over the mason dixon line):eek:[/QUOTE]

Cherry Hill, I believe. A harpoon throw from Phillie.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason

Here is the "Little Girl"

0807race1.jpg

rockfish

Lieutenant
John Hutchins northern Bay 20

John Hutchins makes the northern Bay 20 its got a 9' beam and is 8'@ the transom he also has the 25' model it is listed on S.E Newman's website.
Northern Bay 25 Center Console
What a rugged looking skiff!!

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
thanks for the link..that 25 looks like a BSH

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Here is a shot of my 1990 28' Wayne Beal, powered with a 300 HP Cat.

100_0007.JPG

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Now I know why you kick around the idea for an upper staion on Blitzen

Here is a shot of my 1990 28' Wayne Beal, powered with a 300 HP Cat.

John, it's very hard to move down from an upper station once you've had on!!!! LOL.

I found that out when I sold the 28 Betram FBC and bought the Blackfin Combi

Top Bottom