26' pilot cove downeast?

jasonsnova

Ensign
Any feed back on these , I have been seeing a few of these out there for sale late 90's yanmar diesel powered for reasonable $$$. whats the skinny on them anyone know? good hull? handle the slop well?
my current 21' walkaround is going down the rd in the fall and want something in the 25-27' range that is as big as I can get but still be trailerable if need be....thx

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Personally not a fan of these boats. A little too narrow for the length and not particularly well built.

I think you'd be better off spending your money on a BHM or Fortier in that size range- even if its older boats you end up looking at, IMHO they'll serve you better in the long run than a Pilots Cove.

jasonsnova

Ensign
The narrower beam is what actually drew my ATTN that and price...I currently leave my boat on a trailer about 2.5 miles from the boat ramp and was hoping to keep doing the same with what ever boat I end up getting which means a 10' beam isn't a realistic idea, altho wouldn't hesitate on 9'6" tho.....
Open to ideas def gonna be a a down east/ pilothouse in the 25-27 range

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
My friend used to have one & loved it. I was never out on it. I always thought it was a knock off of the 26 Fortier, looks just like it and we all know those are great boats. They weren't cheap new and I thought it was well built but I don't know that for a fact.

shawn_in_MA

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Sylvan
Are these hulls solid or cored??? Would the narrow beam lead them to roll a lot or would the hard chine and keel keep them stable compared to a deep V??? I had never heard of these boats until this thread.

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
My friend used to have one & loved it. I was never out on it. I always thought it was a knock off of the 26 Fortier, looks just like it and we all know those are great boats. They weren't cheap new and I thought it was well built but I don't know that for a fact.

I can't confirm it, but the story I was told is that two guys that worked for Fortier left and started building the Pilots Cove, specifically as a Fortier knock off.

I also knew someone that owned one and he was happy with the boat as well.

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
If you have the choice between a knock off and the real McCoy, what do you usually do?

I grew up on a Fortier so I'm biased, but the only thing that separated us from that boat was Sandy! And there are plenty of them for sale so your sure to find one that fits your needs and price range... I just wouldn't feel as confident in a Pilots Cove.

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
Pilot Cove

Do a search on The Hull Truth, you will find that they had issues with ballast. They are a nice looking boat though.

Top Bottom