26 Seaway CC/new member

CTdave

Ensign
Hi all...
Great site! I just stumbled upon it while looking up info on my latest addition.
My wife & kids are completely into the boating scene as well. We have a '94 50 Hatteras sport fish which has turned into more of a cruiser as my fishing obsession was taken over by kids sports, school and all of the things that happen with my 8 y.o. daughter and 8 y.o. son.
I stopped at an estate sale here in CT & saw this great looking hull peaking out of the shrink wrap inside of the barn. Long story short, I ended up speaking with the attorney of the family & next thing ya know, I struck a deal for $2100 & the Seaway was mine!
We have a 13' Whaler but at 49 years old, my back and butt kill me after island exploring/tubing and running the kids around so this Seaway will be great!
The boat sat for over 10 years after the owner became ill but after some fresh gas, the motor fired right up. I ended up selling the Evinrude for $1400 because my friend had a very low hour Yamaha 225 which I got for a song. I've just installed the motor and controls & the new steering system is going in tomorrow. I want to use it for the end of summer/fall season but then the bigger work will start.
I'm planning on an Armstrong bracket/platform, replacing the thin/cracked teak covering boards, adding a nice t-top & giving the whole thing a 400/1000 wet sanding & polish job. Incredibly, the transom is solid so one less thing to worry about. I also need to replace the leaning post for one with a bench seat set up & also taking out the two fishing chairs & building a rear bench seat.
Did these have fuel tank issues? The prior owner mixed the two stroke oil in the tanks & when I pumped out the old fuel, it was remarkably clean after sitting for so long.
So, anyone else with a 26 center console? I see very few & would LOVE to see some photos & hear about other people's experiences with these. It's going to be a fun project!
Best,
Dave

020.jpg

017.jpg

022.jpg

024.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

Jim miller

Ensign
Congrats on a great find! Cosmetically she looks fantastic.
Interesting bracket design......

SHORT STEP

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tripp / midland
Dave
want to get rid of the leaning post
?
bob

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Several boats ago, we had a Stratos 26, center console with a cabin like that forward. Man that worked out great for storing stuff but still having the center console to fish from... Good luck and welcome to the site...

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I have an 06 21' Seafarer but similar hull and it is smooooth as long as you stay below about 20mph. Boat is just too light/flat to go any faster on a choppy day but who cares is my attitude. 20 is plenty as they say.

That boat is going to fly with 225. Mine will touch 40mph with a 150.

Nice find/buy. PM me if you are interested in selling the whaler. I am in CT as well near Stamford.

CTdave

Ensign
Thanks guys!
Short Step, It's yours once I find the suitable replacement.
Toolate, Thanks but I'm not 100% on getting rid of the Whaler. I'm thinking it's going to be my Son's first boat & will serve as the docking/training boat in a year or so.
I just saw a post from a fellow Yacht Club member "Sortie" while looking through photos!!

I'll keep photos coming as work progresses. I'll probably get to most of it over the winter though.

Best,
David

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Not sure I am going to be interested in it after he's done.... we were all kids once too. Good luck- let me know if things change. Thanks.

Update us on the speed of that thing. I am guessing 45 or so.

SHORT STEP

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tripp / midland
Thanks
Just PM me when your ready
bob

Last edited:

JPL

Lieutenant
Deck and transom

Dis-regard.I just read your post again.haaaaaaa. Most of these would need the transom replaced.
{Dave assuming you need to do the deck and transom over ..have you thought about staying with a bracket or transom mounted engine?}
Jim

Last edited:

Tunascapes

Commander
Not sure I am going to be interested in it after he's done.... we were all kids once too. Good luck- let me know if things change. Thanks.

Update us on the speed of that thing. I am guessing 45 or so.

Will definitely not get 45 of out that boat. The 26 is a much different hull than the smaller ones. With a 225 wot should be about 30-32 kts.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Must be heavy because it looks like a nice planning v.

I have a 21 seaway with 150 and it touches 40 but it is feather light.

JPL

Lieutenant
TUNASCAPES
I know that you and your dad did over a 26' hull. Can you speak to keeping the engine on a bracket or mounting on the transom on a 26' Seaway. It seems most 26's had brackets. New engines are much heavier than older two strokes too.
thanks

Tunascapes

Commander
My dad has had the hull since new in '84. Over the years it has had a few different configurations. Most of the hulls all came from the builder with the exact setup that is pictured here with the gill bracket. Ultimately they all rot out and it needs to be addressed. I was very young in the gill bracket days so exact numbers I really cant give you but I am certain they were close to transom mounted numbers. We have a family member that has the hull number one before ours and that went to transom mount as well. They would not have done both if there was an issue with it. Right now with a 225 etec transom mounted we cruise at 20-22kts burning 2.2nm per gallon and top out around 30kts because out how much gear is on the boat. Empty I bet you could squeeze out 32 but it gets pretty sketchy about 28 so I dont go there often. We also have extended the keel all the way to the transom so I am sure thats a little bit of drag but in a following sea it is very much needed.

The transom is absolutely a concern, especially with todays motors being heavier. The only core material in the transom is 1 1/2" of plywood with glass. At the time of purchased my dad was told if you were going to put a big 300hp racing type motor of the 80s then it had to have another layer of 3/4 plywood added to hold the weight. There are no gussets in the boat. We have a 225 etec on now and it needed to be beefed up. Right now we have a support across that entire transom that ties in the top bolts and one gusset from the middle of the motor to the deck. It is much more solid this way and has not given us any issues but this winter its getting a whole new transom. I think we are on borrowed time and I want it done before there is an issue. When the new transom goes in it will most definitely have a couple gussets from the stringers up to the transom to tie everything in and probably 2.5" of core. We tend to over build things.

Hope this helps.

Tuckerman

Captain
Boat Make
22 webber cove
I went from a cut Transome to a bracket with a 4 stroke. I put gussets in that span from the top washboard to the floor , I raised the stringers in stern to meet floor so the carry load also . Worked great.

image.jpg

nausetwidgeon

Lieutenant
love seeing more of the 26 seaways. Right now I am really torn between completely rebuilding my 26 pilothouse or moving up to a bigger boat. I think mine is the only one with a diesel i have ever heard of or seen.

CTdave

Ensign
Thanks for all of the tips and info!
The long term plan (starting this winter) will be adding an Armstrong bracket/swim platform. I believe this will distribute the weight more evenly across the transom. I used to race offshore powerboats & am well aware of structural issues & have taken note of everyone's thoughts on beefing up the transom with supports.
I'll also do lots of cosmetics like replacing the teak covering boards. I've done it several times on bigger boats & it's a fun job!
So far this week, I've gone down in the evening & have installed/wired all of the new gauges which came with the Yamaha, run new controls/battery/oil etc lines from the console, back to the engine, replaced the locked up Hynautic steering with a new Teleflex Sea Star PRO hydraulic system.
I'll have to say that running everything was a BREEZE thanks to Seaway building 2 ample chases below deck from the console to the transom. Easy!

Top Bottom