26' Seaway Spec's

cmm88

Lieutenant
Does anyone have any spec's on a 1986 26' Seaway Northstar. I am mostly looking for weight. All I have been able to find is a weight of 4,500lbs at the NADA website. This seems low. I am looking for a trailer. Thanks

nausetwidgeon

Lieutenant
SeaWay

Not sure the exact weight but i would put mine around 8000lbs. I do have a volvo tamd40B and poured concrete in my bow from the factory. The trailer it came with was used just for storage of the boat before I got it and I have already broken 3 springs and even with 3500lb axles she seems like way too much boat for the trailer.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Not sure the exact weight but i would put mine around 8000lbs. I do have a volvo tamd40B and poured concrete in my bow from the factory. The trailer it came with was used just for storage of the boat before I got it and I have already broken 3 springs and even with 3500lb axles she seems like way too much boat for the trailer.

I believe that mine is s ink he high six's but I have a gas motor and no concrete in the bow. What is your cruise with with the diesel?

cmm88

Lieutenant
Thanks for the replies. That is more what I was thinking for weight. I am taking out the twin i/o's and installing a bracket and outboard over the winter. There is no fishing room in the cockpit with the engine box. I am thinking about getting a trailer so I can move it around during the repower

nausetwidgeon

Lieutenant
SeaWay

I Cruise around 16 knts with a volvo duoprop outdrive. Not the fsatest boat in the water but I only burn around 5gph so I can afford to run her. I know it would be better with a new set of duoprops but right now I just cant swing that.

cmm88

Lieutenant
where is your boat NB or Orleans? I'm in Mattapoisett

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway, Kinnamon, Carolina
My 1988 Seaway pilothouse weighs in at about 7500#. It has a brackett mounted F250. Trailer I use is rated to carry 10K#. I would use nothing lighter after carrying her on that one....FIW, Jo;)

2009_1212SEADANCERTOO0020.JPG

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Hi Jo- Did you sell your boat yet?

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Hey guys, No, I have not sold her yet. Not really trying too hard either.
When leaving out on a trip loaded with 200 gal fuel, 7-8 barrels of ice and bait, plus all my LL gear.... she is just too heavy to plane out even with 12x18 lencos so I usually just wind up the 250 to about 25-2800 rpms which gives me a cruise of around 9 mph or so depending on wind and currents.
Before I actually started fishing her though and during trials she comfortably cruised along at 20 mph though I can't remember at what rpm.
She can top out at about 30mph even with all the gear aboard and half a fuel load(258gal total capacity).
It scares me to think of what her top end would be minus the LL reel and power unit aboard. The reel and frame are quite heavy gauge stainless and the reel core is 8" diameter schedule 80 pipe. In hindsight I probably could gotten away with building it out of aluminum.
The reel holds 4 miles of 900# mono which is 50#/mile but I carry sash weights to hold it down on the bottom. I also fish for tilefish with 3/32" stainless cable which is pretty heavy stuff.
This would make a great sportfish boat or cruiser with all that fuel capacity and good speeds minus the heavy comm. gear.
Time will tell. I've got a few buddies concidering her depending where regs end up this year, and a few others pondering making a dive boat out of her.
We'll SEA......Jo;)

nausetwidgeon

Lieutenant
Im not positive but my guess has been all the weight of the diesel in the stern made her sit funny in the water. The concrete was a way to level her out and get her sitting better but to be honest i dont know.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Hey guys, No, I have not sold her yet. Not really trying too hard either.
When leaving out on a trip loaded with 200 gal fuel, 7-8 barrels of ice and bait, plus all my LL gear.... she is just too heavy to plane out even with 12x18 lencos so I usually just wind up the 250 to about 25-2800 rpms which gives me a cruise of around 9 mph or so depending on wind and currents.
Before I actually started fishing her though and during trials she comfortably cruised along at 20 mph though I can't remember at what rpm.
She can top out at about 30mph even with all the gear aboard and half a fuel load(258gal total capacity).
It scares me to think of what her top end would be minus the LL reel and power unit aboard. The reel and frame are quite heavy gauge stainless and the reel core is 8" diameter schedule 80 pipe. In hindsight I probably could gotten away with building it out of aluminum.
The reel holds 4 miles of 900# mono which is 50#/mile but I carry sash weights to hold it down on the bottom. I also fish for tilefish with 3/32" stainless cable which is pretty heavy stuff.
This would make a great sportfish boat or cruiser with all that fuel capacity and good speeds minus the heavy comm. gear.
Time will tell. I've got a few buddies concidering her depending where regs end up this year, and a few others pondering making a dive boat out of her.
We'll SEA......Jo;)

Hey joe
I'm guessing you put the outboard on during your rebuild. What did you do with the keel , rudder etc?

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
My Seaway was originally set up with twin 120 Johnnies on an open transom. It only has a pertial keel underneath.
Closing in the transom and adding the full width bracket made it more ocean worthy and safer for what I do.;)
I'm afraid I can't find any pics of the "before" They are in my rebuild thread in my for sale ad from a different computer which I no longer have.

2009_0706SeaDancerToo0002.JPG

2009_0706SeaDancerToo0004.JPG

cmm88

Lieutenant
bracket Height

Joe,
It looks like you have a 30" shaft on your 250hp. What height did you mount that bracket? Thanks, Christian

Top Bottom