28 Northern Bay New Hardtop

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by Silverfish, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Silverfish

Silverfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Northern Bay
    Back in May I purchased my first downeast boat. I found it on the found boat section of this forum. I wasn't interested in the boat at first but when I looked at it I saw the potential to be what I want. After some back and forth and a survey I was able get the boat purchased. This past season I put about 110 hours on the boat with little issues here and there that I expected on a boat I didn't know anything about.
    So this winter I brought the boat to Alantic Service in Far Rockaway NY to have all the work done. After talking to them a few times in person and to others that know their work, it left me comfortable to use them for the project. The plan is to turn my "bass style" boat into a hardtop, new windows, simrad electronics, and fix a few little things that came up in the past season with the boat. The drawing of the boat is something I put together to get an idea of what I would like the boat to look like when it is finished.
    Steve
    IMG_0898.JPG FB_IMG_1545962190999.jpg boat plan.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Craig, RickC137, Aotea and 10 others like this.
  2. south shore

south shore Senior Member

Millwright/Mechanic/Retired
    Boat Make:
    25 Northern Bay
    Good luck looks good with the hard top , but I think it looks good both ways. Always liked the bass boat style , watched that boat for sale for over a year. The hard top is a little more practical in colder weather and for mounting of accesories. But I am not a fan of it being closed up or a winter back, drop canvas is good for that.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    doug hill and Silverfish like this.
  3. south shore

south shore Senior Member

Millwright/Mechanic/Retired
    Boat Make:
    25 Northern Bay
  4. Silverfish

Silverfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Northern Bay

Thank you, I agree I like the bass boat style, but for my needs I do like the hard top to mount items and to keep me protected. As of now I am leaving the back of the house as a drop curtian. I like to be able to open the entire back during the summer, it makes the boat feel bigger than it is. And for the radar mount, I'm having a custom one made up to mount the radar, 2 vhf antennas, a gps antenna, anchor light, and possibly a spot light.

Steve

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    doug hill likes this.
  5. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    I went from a Blackfin Combi hardtop with the plastic canvas wrap around above the skinny windshield. No more of that none sense.
    junk all the canvas....you;ll enjoy the hardtop !!!

Silverfish likes this.
  6. ulf75

ulf75 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    37' Repco (project)
    The crew there will get you fixed up right. Had some work done there this past summer.

Silverfish likes this.
  7. Bern

Bern Member

Carpenter
    Boat Make:
    Muscle Ridge 28
    Hi There, I found this post interesting as I am on a similar path although we're two winters away from a similar project. I looked at your boat seriously enough to call the seller in May. I'm glad it has been a positive decision for you thus far. We wound up going with a Muscle Ridge 28, still a bass boat, however with a hard top supported by aluminum tubing. The top at the helm is 6'0", I'd like to raise it to 6'3" or 6"4" as well as make the two side windows and the center windshield venting. It's a shame as all the windows are beautiful Diamond Seaglaze, however, all fixed and too hot. Did you design the house in your drawing of have some help from a pro? It looks very good. I'm curious if there are accepted parameters to house design, for example "how tall is too tall" in relation to the height / length of the hull? I will be interested to see who you select as a glass fabricator and what your approximate costs for the total project entail. I believe I have the skills to do the glasswork & carpentry myself, although as we get closer to our project I will certainly entertain having my yard or possibly the original builder take a look at doing the work for me. Best of luck with the project and I will look forward to seeing pictures.

Bern,
    Silverfish likes this.
  8. Bern

Bern Member

Carpenter
    Boat Make:
    Muscle Ridge 28
    fullsizeoutput_a68.jpeg

Bern,
    Silverfish likes this.
  9. Silverfish

Silverfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Northern Bay
    To be honest, I'm winging this hole process, I found a great shop to do the work. The sketch I drew is want I the boat to look like, I just had the means of a computer program. Your sketch looks really good. But as you mentioned the height is an issue, if I where to have the hard top built straight off the top of the existing windows I would then have a height of 6'-0" as well. The goal is to have a head of 6'-2" to 6'-3". The shop is supposed to call me in a week or so when the hard top is all glassed before the sides are built to play with the height to get the look and headroom right. I also have diamond seaglaze windows, unfortunately I will be replacing all of them, I think the shop has a company they like to deal with for windows. I just gave them the go ahead to order from them, I forget the name they said.

But hopefully by mid April the project will be "finished" (no projects are finished)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  10. archsea bunker

archsea bunker Senior Member

Good people at Atlantic Service , done my work also. Good luck Look forward to finished product.

Silverfish likes this.
  11. Silverfish

Silverfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Northern Bay
    The main issue that came up on survey when I purchased the boat, when the boat was built the builder used wood to space out the hull and top deck to raise the shear to get the motor below the deck. They covered up the wood on the outside with the rub rail. This wood was rotted, so the shop replaced it with starboard, this way I won't have to worry about it in the future.

12723.jpeg
    12759.jpeg 12760.jpeg 13018.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  12. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Surprised they didn't use Coosa board.

Downrigga and south shore like this.
  13. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    same here John.
    I wonder what the weight difference is between starboard and coosa.

14. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    Bet it wasnt a weight concern but a $$$$$$ concern

Silverfish likes this.
  15. RCLS2016

RCLS2016 Senior Member

Maintenance Tech
    Boat Make:
    26 SISU
    I'm thinking the Starboard would give the screws a little more grab then the Coosa would, when the rubrail is replaced?

Landlocked and Silverfish like this.
  16. Silverfish

Silverfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Northern Bay
    I'm assuming that's the reason the shop went this route, also the top deck gets screwed into/ through the starboard as well

17. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    true....

18. Silverfish

Silverfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Northern Bay
    The weight of the starboard is not that bad, it's only 2.25" tall and 2" deep and goes around the entire boat. I'm figuring it adds 200lbs. I'm not sure what the wood weighted, but I'm more concerned with the weight of the hard top and everything else I'm adding to the boat to work for my needs. I really don't want to loose to much speed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    BillD likes this.
  19. Silverfish

Silverfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Northern Bay
    Some of my electronics came in today, still waiting on a few more items. I will be heading down to the boat tomorrow morning, they started to build the roof and sides.

Steve

IMG_20190201_182209989.jpg

south shore likes this.
  20. Silverfish

Silverfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Northern Bay
    I stopped down at the boat today, they just mocked up a rough roof for me to get an idea of the height. We decided to make the head height in the wheel house 6'-4"(what is shown). It's going to make the wheel house look alittle tall but with taller windows, and the tall bow rail it should look good. They are going to starting fiberglassing this week. The sides will be made out plywood and the roof will be foam. The plywood there now is just temporary.

IMG_20190202_102236865.jpg IMG_20190202_104731873.jpg IMG_20190202_104721316.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    CEShawn, ErikT and Turtleman like this.