28' Seaworthy...looking for input

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
No so the Yanmar 4 cylinder was a tank of a motor. However you are correct in the fact that the 315 6 cylinder yanmar was by far the best power for the 28 BHM hull.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
That's a nice boat Nicky took good care of it good luck that boats killed a few tuna and bass but was used for whale watching. So not a hard life again good luck

reelrampage35

Commander
Boat Make
Duffy
Yanmar 230 hp 4 cyl

Hi Ripcat
I have a Yanmar 230 Hp motor in my little 24 ft Rampage. As a matter of fact my boat was repowered at the same time Capt Larry put his 370 Yanmar in his 31 JC and both motors were put in by Al Grovers Marina in Freeport NY. My boat currently has 2000 hrs on it and the motor was installed over 10 years ago. I have had the valves adjusted and turbo washes done by Grovers and have done all other maintenance myself, including all zincs, water pump impellar, Alternator belt, fuel filters and oil changes. Needless to say the motor has never given me a problem I know of several with over 5000 trouble free hours on them.

mudhake

Captain
That 230 is the same block as the 370 minus 2cyl. It is a sleeved engine which makes it mutch easier to rebuild if that time ever comes. I only put 3 of them in the 28s but I know none of them have had any problems. I did 2 in the 25s.

Gypsy Soul

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 26
I am getting ready to put a rebuilt Yanmar 4 LHA STP in my 26 Duffy. Pretty much the same motor. I don't have personal experience with this motor, but in researching my power choice, I heard nothing, but good things. I spoke with a few diesel mechanics who spoke highly of these motors and are currently servicing some with 6 and 7k hrs on them that are still running strong.

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
what would the cruise, and wot, and cruising range, on that boat be with that engine?

Ripcat

Commander
Saw the boat yesterday with the wife. She actually liked the boat and thought it was finished off very well. The seller had tons of stuff on it, winter storage i guess, so it was hard to really appreciate the cockpit area but it felt big and adequate for our needs.

Long story short, our conclusion was that we both really liked the boat, could see ourselves owning it but not for the asking price and we were told that he's pretty firm on that. So unless he decides to be quite a bit more flexible with his price, its probably not the boat for us.

Plus i'm not sure i'm ready to cruise at only 15-ish knots.

Capt2020

Lieutenant
I own the boat. So if you sign an agreement with Jay, I cant work something out with you. Anyway the boat is in really nice shape. Goes 15knots at 2850. 3300 in the top end, so you can run it at 3000 all day long. It wont be fare to give you other options right now. Even though I don't have a contract anymore.

Ripcat

Commander
She's a great looking boat Capt2020. Wifey and I have been talking quite a bit since we left her yesterday. If we decide to move forward i'll surely get in touch with Jay. If for some reason we do not move forward...best of luck with the sale and thanks for letting us check her out.

Top Bottom