28 T Jason Kit boat

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I was talking with Terry Jason last week about the old 25's he built like the one "Bill" recently bought. I'm intrigued by that neat little boat and will follow "Bill's" rehab project closely. (Nothin else to do since I'm keepin the Blackfin).

Terry mentioned to me the 28 he has for sale. I told him to join the forum and put some info up on his shop etc. I get the impression he is NOT a web type guy and just likes building boats. He said he's pretty busy with 35's going to Europe.

OK, I told him I'd post the 28 kit boat here. I "think" I'm accurate on the price and what's in the boat. I'm doing it by memory. Call Terry to verify.

28 T Jason kit boat.

hull/top white
rub rail on
front windows openings cut out
cabin sides left long no window cut outs
vberth installed
helm bukhead (dash I presume) ??
rudder installed
shaft installed / wet keel, Terry does NOT believe in shaft tube/dripless setup

NO FUEL TANK
NO DECK

39,900 (Please confirm with Terry Jason....I think this is the price) :confused:

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
So if its $39k in the kit form, what are we talkin' roundabout fully finished nothing fancy? $120-$150k?

If you "did it yourself?? Let's add it up.

Figure 40K for a new Tier II Iveco or Cummins 6.7, 350-400 hp with tranny.

Figure $80K total there.

Engine Installation ??

Exhaust ???

Steering ?? Capallano ?? $1500 Plus your time.

Batteries, wiring, electronics?

Materials for decking etc.

I figure a handy guy could get the boat nicely done "spartan" ready for the water $100-$120

This is just a guess

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
330 iveco 28k no gear. Seaworthy is 21k hull and top, you can do a lot with that other 18k IMO.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Unearthed another fossil I see

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
330 iveco 28k no gear. Seaworthy is 21k hull and top, you can do a lot with that other 18k IMO.

You could probably get a Volvo D6 330 for not to much more than that. I can't imagine that much HP in a boat that small but that would be the great reason to put the Volvo in. I really don't care for the idea that the boat goes in gear and it throws you back and you can't go less than 8mph at a idle????

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
350-450hp? 28'TJ. Really? Going lobster boat racing?

I tossed out a hp range. Thats how you buy the "new Tier III" marine diesels. The ones from FPT Iveco anyway. One price no matter what hp rating you choose.

Iveco 330 for 28K ? You talkin about the old 5.9s? non emmissions rated?

As I understand it they are no longer in production and all old inventory sold.

Ask Peter how much a leftover Iveco Tier II 6.7 450 bobtail is..I think there's a couple left in Ft Lauderdale @ Hugo Stamp Inc.

All new 6.7s are Tier III and are priced way north of 28K.

All the new Cummins 6.7 Tier IIIs, same thing...right up there or maybe a grand more than the FPT Iveco 6.7s

I can't imagine the Volvo Tier IIIs being any cheaper or any other new Tier III diesel.

If I have my facts wrong I owe you guys a BIG apology !!!:confused:

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Tier 111?????? what do those involve? catalytic converters or something:confused:

I thought the new engines were supposed to improve everything. I can't imagine the carbon footprint creating for a new engine.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Iveco 330 for 28K ? I can't imagine the Volvo Tier IIIs being any cheaper or any other new Tier III diesel.

I can only speak from experience. When I built my boat that I splashed in 09. The Iveco 330 was more than a Volvo 330. What I thought was a positive and almost pulled the trigger was they were going to teach me how to change the HP rating. It was hard to chance my livelihood with a unknown opposed to the Volvo which has outperformed any engine that I am aware of. If I didn't earn a living and just did boating for fun, I probably would think playing around with the HP would be a bonus and probably would try it if the money was equal.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
That's the price I was quoted two weeks ago from the Florida dealer. Engine and panel only, no gear.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
That's the price I was quoted two weeks ago from the Florida dealer. Engine and panel only, no gear.

Was the quote for the old tier 11 or the new tier 111? Also. what options did the engine come with? Does it have the high output alternator? does it have the power steering pump for the power steering? raw water pump? PTO or extra pully/belt spaces to run other things?

Last edited:

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Prob no options, it was a quick conversation because I was not really all that interested in the engine. Yanmar is a better fit for my application.

Top Bottom