28 tjason VS 28 Seaworthy

p92674

Lieutenant
I was wondering if any one could shed some light on the the differences between these 2 boats. There seems to be quite a difference in price between the two in terms of cost for a new basic finished boat with the same bells and whistles. Beam, layout and displacement seem to be roughtly the same. The tjason is a skeg and the Seaworthy BHM is a builtdown, but cost wise they are pretty far apart. Was wondering if there was any major differences between the two boats?

Paidia

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaworthy 28
I don't remember there being much difference when I built mine in 2010 but I had decided on the BHM a couple yrs before that. Very happy with it and Mudhake (the builder). I liked the freeboard on the BHM for the mouth of the Merrimack. There is a lot of headroom in the trunk cabin for a 28. Everyone I talked to loved the ride of the BHM.

p92674

Lieutenant
Thanks for the info.. Realistically i think i need to look at a semi completed kit boat, and pick away at it...

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
i'm curious about the tj 28. anyone out there with experience on one?
i know there are ALOT of 28 seaworthy fans on this site, and that says an awful lot about that hull, and mudhake's talents. but i want to hear about the tj. anyone?

good company

Ensign
2005 T Jason owner

The 28ft T Jason I own is a built down hull. I've owned it a very short while however we just brought it home to SC from Ft Lauderdale. I was very pleased with the ride,fuel milage 3.5g at 2700rpm 15mph. While the space below deck looks very small the vee is larger than a 34ft sailboat previously owned. It has the turbo Yanmar 4 (200hp) considered small by some on this forum.

coddock

Commander
My 2007 hull is not built down.I don't believe Terry changed hull design...But I am not 100% sure of that. Decent room for a 28', good ride especially in head sea. My 240 hp 4 cyl burns 6 gal/hr.+/- @ 3000 rpm and 16-17 knots.

good company

Ensign
Good Company

I had a chance to talk to Terry Jason who said his two boats are not built down. He said he prefurs the hard chine of a flat bottom. I asked him what is going-on in the business. He has 3 boats in progress, 2 for owners and a 28Ft as spec that he says he uses as fill in to keep his crew busy. I share this to let you know you can probably get a new 28ft boat fairly quickly. I am very pleased with my 2005.

Captjpk

Ensign
Hi, do you have your T jason for sale in SC? Beaufort? If so, I am in the market and saw it online. I called the broker Tricia and don't get any answer or reply. If it's your boat maybe we can go direct. Call me at 9544942451 or email me at [email protected]. If it's not your boat, sorry for the inconvenience....

moetuna

Commander
Jason

Can't say how they compare but I love my 28 Jason. Never been for a ride on the 28 Seaworthy.

Gps98

Lieutenant
Question for you owners. I love both of these boats and I know powered correctly they can cruise a little over 20knts. My question is can they actually cruise comfortably in an open sea at 20-22knts. How is the hull ride at that speed in moderate conditions? I do day canyon trips down here in New Jersey. I run 65-80 nm each way and it would be tough at 16 knots.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

moetuna

Commander
canyons

Question for you owners. I love both of these boats and I know powered correctly they can cruise a little over 20knts. My question is can they actually cruise comfortably in an open sea at 20-22knts. How is the hull ride at that speed in moderate conditions? I do day canyon trips down here in New Jersey. I run 65-80 nm each way and it would be tough at 16 knots.

I haven't had mine long enough to really know but it's no doubt similar to Raider Ronnie . Go bigger . Sounds like you might be better off with some sort of express cruiser for day trips that far . The bigger the better.

coddock

Commander

These hulls just are not designed to cruise at 20 knots in any conditions. Even the big boys, with big HP, lose efficiency big time above 18 knots or so.

Top Bottom