3 questions about jones act

dave fuller

Lieutenant
1st- Can you charter with a provincial out of Maine? 2nd- Can you commercial fish with a provincial from the stats? 3rd- On the show wicked T una, the hard Merchandise boat commercial fishes year long for, I believe groundfish , how can he do it legally from a novi built boat? My brother was looking at a provincial and ran in an old school friend who was in coast guard, his friend advised him not to get a provincial because he wouldn't be able to do anything with it. Did not elaborate other than that.

commtuna

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2000 tons of steel
Oh dave fuller. If you used the "search" function you find the answer to your question! The Pin Wheel, as well as all the other canadian tuna boats, fish 100% legally. Most canadian hulls are under 5 net tons which, under the Jones Act, allows them to be used in America as long as they are state-registered.

A canadian-built boat can commercially fish LEGALLY, it just cant be documented. It needs to be state-registered.

A canadian-built boat can also charter LEGALLY but cannot carry more than 6 passengers. To carry more would require a COI and to get a COI would mean the boat needs to be documented, which isn't permitted.

Im in the Coast Guard and I also used to fish a canadian-built boat. It's totally legal. There's even Novi boats fishing here in Alaska.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
There are hundreds of Novis lobstering,dragging,siening ,whatever in Maine.I'm not sure about the chartering thing though.I know you cant smack lobsters with a Canadian vessel.The Jones act was supposed to protect US boat builders.There is supposed to be a 5 ton limit,but there are loop holes you can drive a 50 x 20 Novi thru.I even know of a Dixon that's documented,hull finished off in the states.I would think a call to the Coast Guard should clear up what can be done.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Can't document your boat. Don't need a documented boat to do 6 packs.

Inspected vessels need to be documented. Want a Novi to be documented? Stash some hash on it and have it seized by a U.S. Marshal and wait for it to be auctioned off.

But then you' be in a Novi...:-?

dave fuller

Lieutenant
Coast guard only says no can do. I looks around and I see one third no vis but then I heard about fisherman from ocean city who had to beach their boats because they were running novis. Coast guard keeps passing me off without a firm answer.

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
The tuna tangler and hot tuna are massive dixons...most of the boats outta chatham are novis. Not really sure i understand the question tho

commtuna

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2000 tons of steel
It's a loophole. The CG will not encourage you to buy a canadian boat. Call the USCG National Vessel Documentation Center 1-800-799-8362 if you want.

Or you can just do what everyone else does and buy a canadian boat and live your life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom