30 Portsmouth Refinish

gmac

Captain
Finally got the boat here.( Utah) and have been working getting it ready to head North, Alaska.
Removed the flying bridge. Painting all the exterior, removed all the sea cocks to check/reseal balsa, sandblasted bottom and the list goes on and on but its coming along.

The unloading process:

download (2).jpg

gmac

Captain
Trailer parts, starting to build trailer.

Question for Steve: how dose your trailer work and anything you would change?
I think you have the extendable tongue, how much dose it extend and what size tubing did they use?

download (1).jpg

Teaserhead

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
Fwiw, Powderpro had a gooseneck, or a 5th wheel trailor built for his 38 footer. It handled that Wesmac just fine. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I sent you pics of it. It would have to be a pm though, try as might, I still can't post pics on here. Nice job on the boat btw, I just finished a similar project.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Trailer parts, starting to build trailer.

Question for Steve: how dose your trailer work and anything you would change?
I think you have the extendable tongue, how much dose it extend and what size tubing did they use?

I'll measure it today, i do know it extends 6'.

gmac

Captain
I have looked at the pic of Powderpro's trailer, the one's I have seen on here. Its a nice trailer but the gooseneck is nice, just makes it more limited on truck. Would be interested if you do have more pics thou.

I think the hyd tongue will not help me allot as the wheels will be close to center and if its lowered will kick the rear up to much. Will look at some more thou, good idea.

Thanks Steve, that would be great!

Thanks for the suggestions/input all!

gmac

Captain
Another questions:

Noticed when running at WOT a vibration back on the deck. What do you check to see what this is? I did read in another post that it could be caused by the prop clearance for the hull? It is close, so maybe that is the problem.

What else could it be or should I check? Prop, shaft, bearing etc??

Thanks

Teaserhead

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
I really liked PowderPro's gooseneck trailer. It allowed him to tow his 38 foot Wesmac clear cross country! From Maine to Missouri to the Pacific northwest, with a pickup!?no small feat my friend. A bumper hitch trailer, in comparisons n sticky situations out on the road, could have turned into a nightmare. Iv seen it. IMO 5th wheel is the only way to go.

gmac

Captain
I would agree that gooseneck's are nice, I have a horse trailer and a flat bed that are. They sure pull a heavy load nice and would agree safer.
Have considered it but SteveAK seems to like his set up and made the trek from Maine to Alaska as well. Its same size boat as his, maybe a little heavier is all.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
20130606_204108.jpg

trailer 1.jpg

trailer 2.jpg
20130606_204127.jpg

extends 7ft.
trailer 3.jpg
20130606_204224.jpg

trailer 1.jpg

trailer 2.jpg

trailer 3.jpg

Last edited:

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Another questions:

Noticed when running at WOT a vibration back on the deck. What do you check to see what this is? I did read in another post that it could be caused by the prop clearance for the hull? It is close, so maybe that is the problem.

What else could it be or should I check? Prop, shaft, bearing etc??

Thanks

GMAC- how close is the tip of the prop from the bottom of the hull at it's closest point, and what size is your prop? The general guideline for prop tip clearance is 15% of the diameter of the propeller, but in my humble opinion, 12% is good and should offer smooth performance. So if you have a 26" diameter prop, tip clearance should be (.12x26"= 3.12"). On my 34 Calvin Beal, it had a 26" prop and only had 2.875" tip clearance, which is about 11%, and it did not have any prop vibrations, it ran smooth. But that was on a brand new boat with new prop, shaft, bearings, etc, etc.

I would check prop tip clearance, shaft alignment with the transmission coupling, and the condition of the stern bearing. If you do not have enough prop tip clearance, I would seriously consider going to a smaller diameter prop if the vibrations are unbearable. If you are looking for a good machine shop on the west coast, I use West Coast Prop in Warrenton, Oregon (503) 861-1483 . My family has been doing business with them for about 30 years, and their stuff works everytime. John is the name of the owner.

As far as trailers go, it sound like you have experience in pulling stuff and you would know if a gooseneck or bumper pull is the best for your situation. I know for cross country travels, the gooseneck is the only way I could have pulled such a large boat and be legal and safe. My boat weighed approx. 12,500 lbs from Missouri to Washington. When you add in the weight of the trailer which was approx. 4,800 lbs, my truck was pulling about 17,300 lbs, which requires at minimum a 3500 Dually to be legal and safe.

Good luck on your project, you have a very nice looking boat.

Last edited:

gmac

Captain
Wheel is a 21" diameter, I'm not sure on pitch. Has some # on there that are hard to read, 3 90 and 21 in bigger font stamped on it.

The clearance from the bottom of the hull is only 1 1/4", which to my math is only about 6% of prop diameter.

Thanks for your time and info. very helpful. I was wondering about a prop shop closer then East coast, when I get this figured out will get in touch with them.

Steve, I can't see the pics. Maybe its just me??

IMG-20130607-00426.jpg

gmac

Captain
As you can see in the pic, we have some glass work to do. As someone did a halfa$$ job on covering the grounding wire.

How is the bearing removed? It feels tight with no movement. But now is the time to do anything there before we reglass it.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
1 1/4" is really close; and 6% is not near enough clearance, which is at least one of the reasons for the vibration. Dropping to a 19" prop would get you another 1" clearance, which would give you 12% clearance (2.25"/19"= 12%). But I hate dropping prop diameter because you then lose prop efficiency. I guess if the vibration is more than you can handle, then I would probably drop to 19". To remove the stern bearing and replace it will likely require removing the shaft, at least removing the shaft will make replacing the bearing a lot easier. If the shaft feels tight in the bearing, then the bearing is probably fine.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Wheel is a 21" diameter, I'm not sure on pitch. Has some # on there that are hard to read, 3 90 and 21 in bigger font stamped on it.

The clearance from the bottom of the hull is only 1 1/4", which to my math is only about 6% of prop diameter.

Thanks for your time and info. very helpful. I was wondering about a prop shop closer then East coast, when I get this figured out will get in touch with them.

Steve, I can't see the pics. Maybe its just me??

Tried to copy & paste but i fixed it now.

gmac

Captain
Now I really don't know what to do but its fine at cursing speed and WOT is really not a big deal as never hold it there long.

I have very little experience with props and not sure what the difference would be going to a 19"..

Thanks Steve, pics help allot!

blinsquirrel

Lieutenant Commander
Prop

I used to swing a michigan dyna quad 20x21 on my 30'Sisu(same hull as you). Never had any rumble/vibration throughout the rpm range. Not much room to swing a bigger wheel...I stuck with the 20" for tip clearance purposes. I would look at the newer DQX series wheel from michigan...might be the way to go.

gmac

Captain
That might be the way to go, a 20". Will check into the DQX.

Its not unbearable but it just doesn't seem right so would like to try something.

Thanks..

gmac

Captain
My Dad has been working hard on the boat, got the bottom epoxied and almost ready for paint.

Painted the rub guard black.

New pulpit and radar bracket in the works...

IMG-20130621-00453.jpg

IMG-20130621-00452.jpg

gmac

Captain
Added a "point" to the rudder.. maybe make it a little more aerodynamic..:!:

IMG-20130621-00454.jpg

Top Bottom