30' sisu

mysophia

Lieutenant
So I'm looking at a 30' sisu that is supper clean and that has been very well taken care of. I don't think for one sec that if I have her survayed shell come back with any problems nor am I worried about the motor witch I will have checked I'm sure she's just fine with 1700 origanol hrs. Paint and over all appearance is top notch gorges. She would suit all my needs how ever now I am being told by some of my very good friends who have fished the same boat for years telling me they didn't like the ride of the boat and that on the drift she's a little rocky due to the soft chine. I have falling in love with the boat can't stop thinking about it and would love to get more info from so of you here on this site that have had or have been on the sisu. I will be upswing the boat mostly inshore but from time to time off shore I have a 5 year old little girl who can't get enough fishing in her there for that being biggest reason of all to jump into a larger boat. Have fished in a 34 Wayne beal 31 jc 38 holland maybe someone can use those boat to refer to for offshore seaworthy ness and how much she will rock and roll. Thanks in advance I'm new to the site and can't get off it so much good info here.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
30 Susi

30 Susi is a fine design. They are round chine as are most DE boats. On the drift with a flybridge she will be a little tender. Without the flybridge you will have no issues.
Susi are complete balsa cord, meaning hull and topside. So a very good survey is required to makes sure she is moisture free.
Max power for the 30 is about 300-320 HP. If you get one with 260 HP or better you will be fine. 260 HP she will cruise @ 14-15 knots.
Check the fuel tanks if they are aluminum proceed with great caution. Fiberglass no issues.
Shafting should be 1.5
Fiberglass rudders is not a plus.
The perfect power for a 30 Susi would be a LP 315 Yanmar. Some came through with 3116 CATs @ 300 HP. If it is an old 3116 is must be checked out. Some of them had defective blocks.
I hope you found this information helpful good luck with your buy.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Larry has all good points. What are your buddies comparing he boat to? Yes there are better boats out there but for the money you can't go wrong with the Sisu. It's not going to be fast and your gonna have to learn how to drive her but you'll have a very capable boat tht sit very good compaired to 90% of the boats out there. I've owned 2 22's and a 26 and have been very happy with them. One of the first upgrades I would consider doing is replacing the rudder with a metal one or skinnier glass one, the rudders on those boats were very thick.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Rudders

Thick rudder = drag. Drag = lost performance. Also a thick rudder does not allow the water to escape from the wheel after it is no longer need to push you ahead.

Crabman

Lieutenant Commander
I fished a 30' Sisu for years both inshore while gillnetting and offshore for tuna. My first tuna chunking trip a million years ago was in a 30' Sisu. Do they rock, yes, but no more than any other semi-displacement downeast boat. Downeast boats were built to rock. They're built like a duck. They not speed demons but the ride is soft, steady and economical.

During the first of our longlining years, we used anything that could get us out to fish. A friend used his brothers 30' Sisu that I used to gillnet on. As a longline boat it was tight and he was insane. A twelve mile reel was on the engine box and a huge fish box just forward of the transom. He regularly fished for up to a week and caught real well. There were many days we felt he wasn't coming home but he always did. He fished that 30' Sisu for years. Today, he is one of the highliners in longlining.

What does this have to do with you, nothing but the hull is a good hull. It won't rock anymore than any other downeast and if you find one that has been taken care of, you can usually get into them at a very reasonable price.

Good luck with your decision. Don't pass up a Sisu in good shape, they are nice boats and you will be able to get your money back out of it when you decide to upgrade.

Last edited:

Jhbw

Lieutenant
I owned a 30 foot sisu for about six years. To be perfectly honest I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I tried putting lead in the Keel. (That helped a little). When we stayed overnight on the tuna grounds we used to deploy rocker stoppers. That helped a little too. Things used to constantly fall off the counters. Basically everything had to be tied down. I think the problem with the boat is the balsa core. It might've been a better boat if it was solid Glass. I used to tunafish with it from July till the end of October. And yes it always got me home. It was good in a head sea and not bad in a Beam sea but horrible and a following sea.
My advice would be to find something else!!!!!!!!

jojobee

Commander
This is another boat, like the nauset 27, that I feel does not benefit from more hp. This boat is great at 12-15 knots. 180-220 hp. The 315 YANMAR is wasted HP and money for little to no gain.

Crabman

Lieutenant Commander
I owned a 30 foot sisu for about six years. To be perfectly honest I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I tried putting lead in the Keel. (That helped a little). When we stayed overnight on the tuna grounds we used to deploy rocker stoppers. That helped a little too. Things used to constantly fall off the counters. Basically everything had to be tied down. I think the problem with the boat is the balsa core. It might've been a better boat if it was solid Glass. I used to tunafish with it from July till the end of October. And yes it always got me home. It was good in a head sea and not bad in a Beam sea but horrible and a following sea.
My advice would be to find something else!!!!!!!!

Interesting. Not my experience at all with a 30' Sisu but we did carry weight. Always had three guys, at least, along with full fuel and ice. What type of downeast did you go to after the Sisu?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
This is another boat, like the nauset 27, that I feel does not benefit from more hp. This boat is great at 12-15 knots. 180-220 hp. The 315 YANMAR is wasted HP and money for little to no gain.

Our 26 had a 318 gasser (280hp?) in it and did 14 knots. We repowered with a 454 (350hp) and gained a half a knot! Not worth trying to get the Sisu hull to go fast!

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
My Sisu 26 is powered with a 350 Chevy (carburetor, 260 hp) and I max out at 20 knots turning 4200 rpm. It's tender when anchored but great when running in heavy seas.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Interesting. Not my experience at all with a 30' Sisu but we did carry weight. Always had three guys, at least, along with full fuel and ice. What type of downeast did you go to after the Sisu?
Iam taking a guess.....if it is who i think JHBW is ...He has a custom Morgan Now...He is good with the glass work

James4

Lieutenant
Having a survey done on a SISU 30 this week. From the forum postings the issue of the core seems critical...

240 yanmar turbo

This boat will be used for coastal cruising ....not fishin

James4

Lieutenant
I have looked a several SISU 30 and have zeroed in on one with yacht finish.... Should get survey tomorrow

I have noticed that the ones set up in fishing format often have an engine box which seems to indicate the engine is mounted higher in the hull ... Not sure why

The one I am looking at has a 240 yanmar turbo .....many of the others seem to have more hp

I will never fish...only coastal cruise but the talk of rounded chines does make me think since this boat has a fly bridge....might roll lot

What draws you to this model

mysophia

Lieutenant
yea its not the same boat the one im looking at has a volvo tamd60c
and no bridge how ever it dos have the motor box witch i dont mind
i looked at a few boats and this boat suits my needs the most and she's supper clean
but again like you said the only two things that keep comeing to mind is the core and the soft chine well you know what have it checked and if all is good then its up to us as the new owners to keep it that way and the that fact that shell roll a little well if it didn't i wouldnt be on a boat i guess all though some seem to think boats shouldn't rock it is what it is and you should do what you think as i am going to do good luck with your new boat

James4

Lieutenant
If you watch wicked tuna on Nat geo wild I am pretty sure one of the boats is a SISU 30 with no bridge....very cool looking and seems to handle the heavy sea well

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I have looked a several SISU 30 and have zeroed in on one with yacht finish....

I have noticed that the ones set up in fishing format often have an engine box which seems to indicate the engine is mounted higher in the hull ... Not sure why
When there is a motor box that does't mean the motor is mounted higher....there are other factors which could be ....shaft angle or deck height

Last edited:

gmac

Captain
Hope it all checks out well for you. I just had a survey done an same boat, 30 Portsmouth and they did not find any water in core and went over ever inch. Good luck with yours!!

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
If you watch wicked tuna on Nat geo wild I am pretty sure one of the boats is a SISU 30 with no bridge....very cool looking and seems to handle the heavy sea well
I do not beleive (i mean i know) there are any Sisu boats being fished in the tv series

Top Bottom