30' South Shore,Flowers,finally floating

Palawanbound

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30 ft Flowers
We launched the boat this morning,we have some bugs that need to be worked out.Just idling around the cove the boat was so quick under feet that it was hard to even walk around the deck.We could only get the boat RPM's to 2000 WOT,which is off by 3500 to 4000 RPM's.Surprisingly I am sure we were doing 20 but it was like I was over steering when I was barely turning the wheel.I have owned outboard boats all my life & I have no one to blame but myself,I think I made a huge mistake on the keel,it was to deep aft & magnified the effect of turning the outboard from side to side & I wish it could have been a little narrower.I new this was n't going to be an easy task & I appreciate the help from Ken,he was open to the idea of an outboard on a DE boat & I am confident we will get it right & with a single engine application .We didn't take any pics today but will post when I can.One good thing even with a load on the engine we didn't burn much gas for as far as we went,the 225 Honda ran like a rolex.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Question

Thanks for your honest update. I wonder if you can taper the keel aft to help with the steering issues. Do you have cavitation problems? If the RPMs are that low it doesn't seem to be cavitation however. Good luck I'm sure you will figure it out. The new Duffy 29' outboard might be a good boat to study to see how their keel is tapered.

http://www.atlanticboat.com/boats/the-duffy-29h

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

mainely boats

Captain
We launched the boat this morning,we have some bugs that need to be worked out.Just idling around the cove the boat was so quick under feet that it was hard to even walk around the deck.We could only get the boat RPM's to 2000 WOT,which is off by 3500 to 4000 RPM's.Surprisingly I am sure we were doing 20 but it was like I was over steering when I was barely turning the wheel.I have owned outboard boats all my life & I have no one to blame but myself,I think I made a huge mistake on the keel,it was to deep aft & magnified the effect of turning the outboard from side to side & I wish it could have been a little narrower.I new this was n't going to be an easy task & I appreciate the help from Ken,he was open to the idea of an outboard on a DE boat & I am confident we will get it right & with a single engine application .We didn't take any pics today but will post when I can.One good thing even with a load on the engine we didn't burn much gas for as far as we went,the 225 Honda ran like a rolex.

Well Tim sorry it didn't work the first time, but we discussed that keel several times and figured it would be easier to cut off later than put
something back on. Cut it off, glass over the bottom of the keel (heavy)
and run it again. Call me if you have any questions.

Red Sprague

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Wellcraft V20
Never saw that picture before. That is one sharp looking boat!!! From the info you posted so far it sounds like the boat is going to fly with that power and be a miser on fuel. Hang in there, it will all work out.

Palawanbound

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30 ft Flowers
Uncle George & I went up to the boat tonight,I moved all the gear I had on the platform to the cabin,we put the tach on were the Honda dealer said & it said it was idling at 750 & wot was 4500 rpm's.I let George run the boat & he tried making a sharp turn at full power & you best be hangin on cause the boat just spins right around,didn't lay over so like he said I am going to run it the way it is.I think Ken had the best idea,it is easier to cut off than to add on so this winter the project will be to cut more of the keel off.I was thinking today & probably I'm nuts,why can't I take a either a 2x8 or 10 even 12 lay up on a table use putty for the contour round off the edge of the 2x wax it good & make a new keel,lay up inside of the keel till it is solid & to the top then glass it to the bottom,keeping it pretty much the same till the end then tapering it off so the water will be clean at the prop.The surprising thing is how far back the spray is,when Yamaha comes out with the 400 or 450 I think we will have a winner.This weekend the wife is off so we will get some good pics,when I am not setting traps!

v8flooz

Ensign
Boat Make
36' Frank Osgood
No need to wait for a larger Yamaha outboard! Check out the Seven Marine 557. This is an amazingly well thought out piece of technology.

On that keel, I'd have a Mr Sawzall party on the next haul out with an outboard hanging of the stern.

Palawanbound

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30 ft Flowers
I took a few minutes this morning & hooked up the chart plotter,wot 4500rpms we were doing 23.1Kts.I then put 50 lobster traps on with 4 bricks & heavy 10 gauge ends & bridges & only cruised around 12 kts.I had to run the boat from Lt Deer Isle to Stonington,running at 3000 rpm's I was cruising 16 kts & only burnt 4 gallons of gas which I couldn't believe but it is what it is.If I had $70,000 to play with I would try the 557,with a twin disc gear there's no doubt it should be a winner but out of my price range,maybe after the lobster season.I would like to buy the new Honda 250,swings a 16in wheel with a 2 to 1 gear for what I do I think lugging lobster traps around it would be a good rig & still have the speed to go to my secret spot on Platts.

Tuckerman

Captain
Boat Make
22 webber cove
I was in a similar situation last year with my 22 webbers cove. The keel was never cut. I was hesitant to cut the keel, so I cut everything else. There are pics in pocket section under miss daisy. I have a bracket going on. I'll post what was gained from bracket. I will cut the keel if need be but I'm saving that as a last resort. That's a great looking boat you have.

Palawanbound

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30 ft Flowers
I had a 22 Webbers cove,I had a 150 mercury on it,went nice,keel was a little long but I never had any problems othe than the pilothouse snappin off at the windows & coming down on my head,got to love dyvinacell!I don't care about going too fast,if I can cruise 20kts when I go outside I will be happy,16kts is all I have ever pushed any of my boats lobster fishing & it has paid for itself in gas savings.When this weather clears up I will get some pics so everyone can see how she goes.

Top Bottom