31 bhm, help

burnman

Ensign
IM new to this forum so please bare with me learning…. Im a charter captain in FL. I currently use a center console twin outboard go fast. I'm done getting soaked and having to turn around or cancel trips. I'm now ready for a diesel. I was looking at a 29Luhrs with new yanmar 315s. Selling for about 40k. my friend said he knows a 31 BHM for sale. I contacted the guy got some pics. Its a boat he bought to build and sell… I really like the look and it seems you can do so much with them. has a new cummins 6CTA 450 diamond with a 600hr since new twin disc 507a transmission. Boat will take a few months to build. I heard way more good than any negative. What kind of speed and fuel consumption am I looking at? Any pros cons i should be aware of? Thanks for taking the time to help:) Also in your opinion what cost do you think I should be around?

burnman

Ensign
PS. My normal day consists of 7am running down the beach a little catching bait than running about 20 miles then maybe a few more spots but very slow trolling for kings, (would need a trolling valve) then running home 20 miles… back by 4 some days its a 40 mile run offshore to bottom fish and then troll around at 6knots or so for mahi then back home. I don't plan on anything more than that.

Ditchdigger

Captain
Bhm

IM new to this forum so please bare with me learning…. Im a charter captain in FL. I currently use a center console twin outboard go fast. I'm done getting soaked and having to turn around or cancel trips. I'm now ready for a diesel. I was looking at a 29Luhrs with new yanmar 315s. Selling for about 40k. my friend said he knows a 31 BHM for sale. I contacted the guy got some pics. Its a boat he bought to build and sell… I really like the look and it seems you can do so much with them. has a new cummins 6CTA 450 diamond with a 600hr since new twin disc 507a transmission. Boat will take a few months to build. I heard way more good than any negative. What kind of speed and fuel consumption am I looking at? Any pros cons i should be aware of? Thanks for taking the time to help:) Also in your opinion what cost do you think I should be around?
Will cruise at 15 KNTS. Top speed will be around 18 maybe. They are not fast boats. Added horse power is not necessary. They get unmanageable as you get over 18 knts. My 31 BHM only has 235 H.P. and cruises at 12-13 knts burning 6-8 GPH. Top end is 15. Like I said, more H.P. over 350 is wasted H.P. in these boats. Nice to have it, but you will not need it. Pick up truck. Not a Porsche. Just my opinion. Wide variation on price. Anywhere from a junker $30,000 to a nice one for $100,000. GREAT BOATS ! They eat up a head sea. They do not pound.

burnman

Ensign
Appreciate the comeback. Im really liking the style of these boats. We don't have many of them down here. Im not sure why. Maybe being from Long Island I remember seeing them as a kid.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
With a 6CTA, you could cruise at 18, but you will burn a lot more fuel than at 15 knots, which is fairly efficient. Steaming 20 miles each way and trolling in between is doable on 40 gallons if you keep the speed down. I'm assuming a 2 to 1 reduction on the 507 so you can swing the proper wheel?

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Im going to guess it has a 2.5:1 reduction gear. I agree with the 18 knot cruise spped with an 8.3 450hp cummins.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
It's possible that it's 2.5 to 1 and a 28" wheel instead of 26.

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
yeah 18 its plus... we repowered a 38 holland with an 8.3cta and i recall that it did 18kts/22kts top with a 2:1; yacht configuration too so a bit heavy.

Top Bottom