31' BHM Listed on AM

ERO83

Lieutenant
Has anyone been to look at, or know anything about the 1985 31' BHM for sale on Athearn. It's sky blue, gillnet gear on it...has been for sale for a while now. Just trying to see if anyone might know anything about it before I go look at it. The boat specifically, not the BHM design itself. Thanks for any help

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I think Googinhater went and looked at that one and/or knows the owner. Hes out fishing till Friday or Saturday though.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
nose job bhm

if its the one with the stem cut off 1 foot to accommodate regulations, my friend went to look and felt he and his surveyor were mislead by the seller of the repairs made to that area, that it was not glassed inside as stated by seller second the stem Is the part of the back bone of a boat, to saw it off weakens the whole structure. EVEN if glassed back in place , which it was not, it would never have the structural integrity of a solid lay up. There opinion was, that if mislead about one thing that he could not trust what the seller was saying about anything else about the boat, engine etc, "why take a chance"

Last edited:

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
OK, I JUST KNOW OF A BABY BLUE 31 in Gloucester with those issues

ERO83

Lieutenant
That's the one. It does have the stem cut off. I've spoken to a few guys about it and not only has that boat been commercially fishing with that modification for some time with out problems, it's been gill-netting, offshore, taking a pounding. So I guess my thought is that it's structurally sound...Not that I don't think you have a valid point. Gonna have a look. Thanks all.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
That's the one. It does have the stem cut off. I've spoken to a few guys about it and not only has that boat been commercially fishing with that modification for some time with out problems, it's been gill-netting, offshore, taking a pounding. So I guess my thought is that it's structurally sound...Not that I don't think you have a valid point. Gonna have a look. Thanks all.

I'd bet you would have trouble getting a decent survey or insurance depending on what you will do with it.

ERO83

Lieutenant
Latitude. Strange coincidence. I talked to the guy about the '85 and it had a similar modification....

slingblade

Lieutenant
I went and saw this boat, made offer, deposit was in contract, the whole deal and at survey on the hard the whole story about the bow changed as from how it was originally represented when I originally went to see the boat. Boat had about and 8'' wide custom fiberglass gusset/strap from a few inches above waterline up and over bow/foredeck and back down terminating at same location on opposite side of nose. When I asked what that was it was just a "fake" or "decoy" job to make it look like boat met a certain fisheries regulation being under 30' on water. So it was never removed I asked? No Never just there for looks, they are just short screws holding strap it will come off no problem. See where this is going...Well fast forward to survey day on hard and when surveyor asks owner to explain this he says bow was removed and interior bulkhead was completely glassed...NOT THIS SECTION! and section was put back on with 5200 and this custom strap. I don't like being lied to nor do I like driving from ct 2 times to find out entire story was false and losing the few hundred dollars for a survey. I spoke with Atlantic directly about this and they said not a good move to cut the front off as that is how it all ties together. Either way I hope this helps make your decision. I have plenty of good pictures and notes. Athearn represents these boats and put there name on them, you think they would at least look at them. They had no problem giving me back my deposit. They should do their job and change the notes on this listing so that honest people looking to make an honest deal can save themselves the time and call a spade a spade.

longislander89

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 seacraft
So both BHM's on AM had the stem cut off? The one with the 8.2L DD still has the stem cut off and squared. The one with the Cat had the stem cut off and then put back on?

Just from what I can tell in the ad's I would take the cat power for $15k less. It also has a bigger wheel and a 2.5 gear.

The one with the 8.2L looks like it has some other important upgrades/updates to the boat plus it comes with a spare main engine.

I just went and looked at the pictures again not on the phone and the 8.2L one looks much cleaner. Tough choice between the two, if the bows weren't an issue.

Larry, or someone else who is an expert on this, do you think both boats cruise at the advertised 14 knots? From my limited knowledge i would say that the Cat BHM would be faster, less affected by weight, and handle better.

250hp DD 8.2L 2:1 gear 22"x 22" wheel.
375hp Cat 3208 2.5:1 gear 28"x 28" wheel

Last edited:

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
If we are talking about the same boats. The boat you mentioned with the 8.2l detroit is a 31 JC not Bhm. If so, then its a little tough to compare performance numbers.
I may be wrong here. As I am pretty often

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM

Top Bottom